Author Topic: Re: Windsor Jewels Part 6  (Read 81045 times)

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Windsor Jewels Part 6
« Reply #300 on: August 01, 2007, 08:58:43 AM »
Back to the stomacher, I have to say that I really, really like this piece and I think it is shamefully underutilized.  Now that HM seems to be wearing her evening gowns with so little décolleté (which makes some of the grander necklaces look a bit silly) it would be another option for her to still be splendidly bejewelled without the need for a plunging neckline for a necklace.  Maybe the Duchess of Cornwalll should be encouraged to take this approach as well - uppping the necklines and using a stomacher to accentuate her torso and waist instead of drawing attention to her other charms with deep v shapes at the neck.
An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 01, 2007, 09:36:12 AM »
Back to the stomacher, I have to say that I really, really like this piece and I think it is shamefully underutilized.  Now that HM seems to be wearing her evening gowns with so little décolleté (which makes some of the grander necklaces look a bit silly) it would be another option for her to still be splendidly bejewelled without the need for a plunging neckline for a necklace.  Maybe the Duchess of Cornwalll should be encouraged to take this approach as well - uppping the necklines and using a stomacher to accentuate her torso and waist instead of drawing attention to her other charms with deep v shapes at the neck.

This stomacher would look great on any velvet strapless bustier.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline NAAOTMA

• View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 01, 2007, 12:25:31 PM »
Re: Tampa's bustier idea: the Dagmar Cross necklace (restored to its original appearance) or Alexandra's pearl and diamond necklace (also restored to its original appearance) would also look great. All the swags and pearl drops and etc. put back...and in the Dagmar Cross's case, also the cross.

The Dagmar Cross would need an Audrey Hepburn figure on the woman wearing it that way in order to not look tacky/vulgar... A bit of "off the shoulder" shoulder strap to relieve the bareness of the bustier could also work for one wearing the Dagmar Cross or other dramatic historic jewels.

The Dagmar Cross could also look stunning on a Royal Bride who has an elegance of line in her personal style. The dress would have to be designed around it, and while at it, some of the rest of the parure that Alexandra received as wedding gifts from Bertie could be used in an echo of how Alexandra wore them on her Wedding Day. That would give the whole ensemble historical and family references that would make it all the more special.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 01, 2007, 07:46:43 PM »
Yes...I love the Dagmar cross too !  ;)

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
  • Queen Mary: Visions of Grandeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 03, 2007, 05:41:33 PM »
EmeraldEyes (who likes floating jewelry  ;)) should like this photo from the new exhibit:

Does anyone want to hazard a guess which necklace the director is referring to?

"...necklace which the Queen spotted in one of the display cases. "I think she probably hadn't seen it since it was given because it's not perhaps a particularly wearable one," he said. "

It may be a little late, but I have some information on the necklace; it was given to HM byThe Nizam of Hyderabad (a small state in India).  :)

Mary R.
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 03, 2007, 06:59:25 PM »
The necklace itself

Her Majesty as Queen of Canada

This photo is not that old, so the theory that she hasn't seen this necklace in a while is not quite right. 

The Queen has actually worn this quite often, and as recently as the Golden Jubilee!

I think this might be the necklace as well...

Anyway, I think I have made my point...

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 03, 2007, 07:00:59 PM »

EmeraldEyes (who likes floating jewelry  ;)) should like this photo from the new exhibit:

Thanks GDella, I do love that picture! :)

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
  • Queen Mary: Visions of Grandeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 03, 2007, 07:47:43 PM »
That's exactly what I thought; I went through some of my pictures and it is used frequently. Perhaps they confused it with something else.

Mary R.
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 05, 2007, 08:32:45 PM »
I think the Queen looked as stunning as Queen Mary did in her hayday without decking as much jewels. Sadly the next generation... :(

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 08, 2007, 08:12:03 AM »

The photo is a little unclear, but it looks as though the Queen might be wearing the tiara that accompanied the necklace as a wedding gift.  If memory serves me correctly (not usually the case!), this jewel had three floral elements that could be worn separately as brooches, which I think have survived, although the frame of the tiara was dismantled to furnish diamonds for the Queen's ruby and diamond tiara.....

What does anyone else think?
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 08, 2007, 08:45:21 AM »
Right on the money as usual Martyn. 
I wonder why HM eventually stopped wearing this jewel in the tiara form.  IMO it suited her quite well.

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 08, 2007, 09:15:23 AM »
Right on the money as usual Martyn. 
I wonder why HM eventually stopped wearing this jewel in the tiara form.  IMO it suited her quite well.

That is a good question, emeraldeyes.

Apparently the three floral elements were preferred as brooches; the two smaller usually being worn together and the large central ornament alone.

Perhaps the Queen felt that she had enough monochromatic tiaras and that her need to complete a ruby and diamond parure was greater.

The design of the necklace is quite lovely and the ensuite tiara probably equally so but perhaps the latter simply wasn't one of her favourite pieces?
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 08, 2007, 10:42:03 AM »
Slightly off-topic, but the photographs of the Queen with Princess Margaret is very interesting.   Of the two sisters, Margaret appears the more dominant.   Certainly the more confident.   This is interesting since it coincides with the release of papers which indicated that, in the event of her premature death, HM Queen Elizabeth forcefully refused to agree to Margaret ruling as regent.   She insisted on nominating the Duke of Edinburgh.

tsaria

Offline Janet

• Boyar
  • There is nothing like a Dame ... of the Thistle
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 08, 2007, 11:45:53 AM »
Slightly off-topic, but the photographs of the Queen with Princess Margaret is very interesting.   Of the two sisters, Margaret appears the more dominant.   Certainly the more confident.   This is interesting since it coincides with the release of papers which indicated that, in the event of her premature death, HM Queen Elizabeth forcefully refused to agree to Margaret ruling as regent.   She insisted on nominating the Duke of Edinburgh.

tsaria

Prior to the 1937 act, which was unusual in that it attempted to provide for future reigns as well, the regency acts and bills for each reign almost always named the parent as regent if the throne came to a minor child.  It's not as if Elizabeth was asking for something revolutionary or unreasonable.  I'm sure it was more a case of her being confident in her husband rather than a slap at her sister.

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 08, 2007, 12:11:42 PM »
Of course the Queen did not mean it as a 'slap to her sister'.    And that is not what I meant.   My reference was to the very different characters portrayed in the photograph.   Given the timing, the Queen was well aware of the possible constitutional dilemma since she was in the midst of coping with problems raised as a result her sister's romance with Group Captain Townsend AND it was less than 17 years since the abdication crisis.

tsaria