Author Topic: Re: Windsor Jewels Part 6  (Read 80861 times)

Offline Janet

• Boyar
  • There is nothing like a Dame ... of the Thistle
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Windsor Jewels Part 6
« Reply #315 on: August 08, 2007, 12:31:11 PM »
Yes, I see your point.  What I meant, too, was that while Elizabeth may have been relieved to have such a welcome alternative to Margaret due to the romantic entanglement, she would have wanted Philip as regent even if Margaret had been leading a perfect life with no controversial elements at all.

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 08, 2007, 03:49:40 PM »
I see Tsaria's point, but agree with Janet indeed. Plus, I am not so sure that a photo taken at a single moment in time can necessarily accurately reflect the demeanor or personality of the subjects. margaret was fairly well known to be a bit more brazen that her sister, but EII was never anyone's fool. And, I would be shocked if Philip did not have plenty of input anyway, and Margaret was happy to be moving her life in her own direction, it seemed.
HerrKaiser

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 08, 2007, 04:06:16 PM »
Sadly - particularly post-Townsend - Princess Margaret never seemed to find true happiness or really find peace within herself - apart from her deep faith which, given she pursued it so avidly, must have brought her solace.

Sorry, I've encouraged this thread to go so completely off topic.   Perhaps we should now re-address the subject of the thread - Windsor Jewels Part 6..............

tsaria

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 08, 2007, 08:07:45 PM »
Agreed! Lets go back to the emeralds, rubies and (my favourite) arquamarines.  ;D

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 09, 2007, 06:09:35 AM »

Does anyone have a photograph of the bottom necklace Alix is wearing in the above painting.

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 09, 2007, 06:23:02 AM »
They are actually quite a few...Some although shown in the locked threads.  ???

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 09, 2007, 07:20:26 AM »
I don't think that I have ever seen a decent photograph of this necklace.  There are quite a few photos of Alix wearing it, assuming it is the piece that Leslie Field describes as being able to be taken apart and worn in sections (which I think she did for her Coronation), but have seen none that show it in detail......I think that it is the same necklace shown in the photo below, allowing for a littlle artistic licence on the part of the artist......

I can't remember how Alix acquired this necklace either, but it is quite an impressive piece, and very essential to her concept of arranging her necklaces - the graduated rows of pearls and diamonds encircling the neck, finished off by a great display of diamonds over the bosom.......
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #322 on: August 09, 2007, 10:30:47 AM »
They are actually quite a few...Some although shown in the locked threads.  ???

They can still be viewed (and quoted for use in this or subsequent threads) even though they're locked. One would just need to either use the search feature or prowl through the threads manually--that's what I did when I was looking for photos for the Jewels Index. Not a bad way to spend some time.  :)

I don't think I've ever seen a really detailed photo of the necklace either, Martyn. Perhaps because it's so big and chunky it doesn't photograph well in regular photos? Was it ever photographed on its own like some of the Windsor jewels?

I wonder how many brooches Alix is wearing in the previous photo? Has to be a dozen. Alexandra and May both liked to pile on the jewels but with Alexandra it's often harder to get a good look at all of them because the smaller pieces are usually clustered together.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
  • Queen Mary: Visions of Grandeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 09, 2007, 05:15:24 PM »
I suppose the necklace was broken down?  ???

Mary R.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 05:33:17 PM by Mary R. »
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 09, 2007, 08:12:53 PM »
No evidence it had been. Most likely still in the jewelry book May catalogued.  ???

Offline Victor

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: August 12, 2007, 05:06:45 AM »
Really lovely images !!! Love the lavender dress... :D
Lovely lavender dress indeed.That picture was taken in my home town Auckland during H.M. first State Visit to New Zealand 1953-54 at the still standing St.James theatre in Queen st.
'The world breaks all of us but some of us are stronger in the broken places.'Ernest Hemingway.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: August 12, 2007, 07:53:50 PM »
i think that colour suited HM. She shoukld wear it more often with her amethests.  ;)

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: August 13, 2007, 10:41:18 PM »
are the tear drop pearls in the Cambridge lover's knot tiara mounted from by the top so as to dangle loosely or are they immobile? I've never seen footage of anyone wearing it to gauge whether or not the pearls were stable or moving about like earrings. thanks!
HerrKaiser

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: August 13, 2007, 10:44:06 PM »
Who owns the original Cambridge tiara ?  ???

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: August 14, 2007, 08:43:06 PM »
are the tear drop pearls in the Cambridge lover's knot tiara mounted from by the top so as to dangle loosely or are they immobile? I've never seen footage of anyone wearing it to gauge whether or not the pearls were stable or moving about like earrings. thanks!

I'm pretty sure that the pearl drops in the Cambridge tiara dangle, however, I don't think that's the case with all of the other versions of it.
An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo