Author Topic: Re: Windsor Jewels Part 6  (Read 80214 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Re: Windsor Jewels Part 6
« Reply #330 on: August 14, 2007, 10:22:04 PM »
Who owns the original Cambridge tiara ?  ???

It was sold a couple decades ago.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: August 15, 2007, 02:23:04 AM »
Wonder who owns it now ?  ??? A photo of it appears in the Suzy Menkies book, maybe she knew its wearabouts.  ???

Offline Martyn

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Martyn's Chips
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: August 15, 2007, 07:42:42 AM »

I don't think I've ever seen a really detailed photo of the necklace either, Martyn. Perhaps because it's so big and chunky it doesn't photograph well in regular photos? Was it ever photographed on its own like some of the Windsor jewels?

I wonder how many brooches Alix is wearing in the previous photo? Has to be a dozen. Alexandra and May both liked to pile on the jewels but with Alexandra it's often harder to get a good look at all of them because the smaller pieces are usually clustered together.

Maybe so.  The necklace does look like an interesting piece though and was obviously a great favourite with Alix, as there seem to be quite a few photos of her in full dress wearing this piece.  I don't think that the necklace has ever been seen on anyone but Alix; it would be interesting to know if it still survives in the Queen's collection, or whether it went to one of her daughters?

The profusion of brooches is very much in tune with Alix's style.  Whereas May preferred the organised and often impressive display of a stomacher, Alix preferred to pin a profusion of smaller, often more delicate ornaments over the bosom of her toilette - stars, crescents and other fashionable ornaments, along with her orders, creating a very personalised arrangement of jewels.  I think that she did choose to wear QV's diamond stomacher on her Coronation gown, but this is more like an oversized brooch, rather than the elaborate stomachers that May favoured.  Not to everyone's taste, as some have criticised Alix for being 'overloaded' with jewels, but certainly idiosyncratic and not inelegant........
'For a galant spirit there can never be defeat'....Wallis Windsor

'The important things is not what they think of me, but what I think of them.'......QV

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 15, 2007, 08:48:20 PM »
I love Alix loaded with gems...she looked like a fairy queen (Tatiana from Shakespear) innocent looking but glmourous at the same time.  ;)

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: August 15, 2007, 08:57:16 PM »
Yes I agree. Alexandra was also sylph like whereas Mary was more like a fully laden galleon at sea.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 15, 2007, 09:00:32 PM »
Yes Mary was like a battleship, her jewels was part of her armour. Alix used both paste and real gems, to her those historical jewels are just decorations.  ;)

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: August 15, 2007, 09:04:33 PM »
yes battleship is an apt description .. she survived where many others floundered ... what a clever woman she was .. Alexandra had more of a human touch I think ... she was a good foil for Edward VII and Mary was appropriate for George V .. I always liked how Mary could relax a touch once George V died ..

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: August 15, 2007, 10:53:45 PM »
Don't be too hard on Queen Mary. Her first role was as Queen and in that she had more onerous duties than Alexandra who spent most of her married life as Princess of Wales. Some would say Alexandra smothered her children. Mary was Queen Empress from 1910 to 1936 and then Dowager from 1936-1953. She made a major contribution to the monarchy in a way Alexandra did not. Times were also vastly different when Mary was Queen. Perhaps it is not fair to compare the two women. Don't blame it all on Mary. George V was a tartar and all his children with perhaps the exception of Mary were scared of him. He was contankerous. He spent more than half his life during the reign of Queen Victoria and was effected by having a philanderer as a father. His son Edward was not up to the job and George VI was saved by Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. Gloucester was a touch problematic and Kent had his problems. Nobody ever said being a Prince was an easy task. George V expected his sons should not let him down. They were all a touch irresponsible at times and given today's media would have been openly lambasted frequently. Times were vastly different and the royal family was an island of stability in a rapidly changing world. Much should be owed to George V and Queen Mary. Their number one duty was to the monarchy when thrones were falling into the gutter rapidly. They survived due to sheer hard work and determination. After all George V was the first monarch who received a Labour Prime Minister and he held firm during world war one and during a general strike. Far greater sacrifices had to be made by fighing men in the trenches than ever were made by any of his sons. Queen Mary found it hard to understand how any of her sons could not do their duty. After all that was what was expected of them.         

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: August 17, 2007, 01:00:14 AM »
Yes all the royal ladies have looked great in jewels although Camilla looked completely out of place wearing the Dehli Durbar tiara on her out of control hair with that hideous black dress. Really does she have any fashion advisors or hair stylists one wonders?

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: August 17, 2007, 10:53:43 PM »
Yes...I said that tiara made her look like a beauty queen...a faded miss univerce.  ;D

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: August 17, 2007, 11:18:08 PM »
I think it had to do with the out of control hair, the over sized extremely formal tiara, a necklace that clashed, her age and wearing that dress. None of it worked together.

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
  • Queen Mary: Visions of Grandeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: August 17, 2007, 11:23:32 PM »
I can only imagine Queen Mary's reaction...

Mary R.
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: August 18, 2007, 12:10:41 AM »
Turning in her grave I suppose ?  :o

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: August 18, 2007, 02:55:40 AM »
Not just turning, rotating at very high speed.

alixaannencova

« Reply #344 on: August 18, 2007, 11:45:16 AM »
Off thread I know, but still about glad rags and baubles in a way!!!

I know it is no doubt some way off yet...but can anyone envisage the form of the next coronation! I mean without the whole herditary ethos, it would be farcical to have all the peers of the realm donning their coronets and booming Long live the King and all that!

I can not imagine how Charles and the court have been able to reconcile themselves to the idea of a coronation, where herediment no longer has a de facto basis of power within the status quo!

It must be pretty alarming to have to redesign the whole staging! No hereditary peers, for how could a nation that has done away with such things sit back and allow those deprived of their power, to attend and participate in such a monumental ceremony? Perehaps the elected peers would be allowed to attend in lieu, but then why should Lord Archer and the like be permited to attend!!! No doubt a pretty sticky issue!