The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
April 23, 2014, 06:12:15 PM
458787 Posts in 8881 Topics by 8297 Members
Latest Member: donnabelle
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  The Hesse-Darmstadts (Hesse and by Rhine) (Moderators: BobAtchison, Forum Admin, Svetabel)
| | |-+  Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig (Ernie), Grand Duchess Eleanor (Onor) & family
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig (Ernie), Grand Duchess Eleanor (Onor) & family  (Read 144718 times)
Reply #15
« on: March 30, 2004, 12:40:41 PM »
Antonio_P.Caballer Offline
Knyaz
Thanks for this web!!!!! Posts: 530

View Profile

relating Queen Ena and the jewels ive just read in a new book on this subect that the spanish queens favourite stones in spite of their low value were the aquamarines(im not sure i wrote it correctly) and this because she saw Alexandra wearing these stones when a child and was very impressed(Ena had a portrait of the Tsarina hung in her study) . I read as well that grand duchess Ella sent her as wedding present a big saphire in 1906.
Reply #16
« on: April 02, 2004, 11:10:38 PM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz
Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D Posts: 13153

View Profile WWW

relating Queen Ena and the jewels ive just read in a new book on this subect that the spanish queens favourite stones in spite of their low value were the aquamarines(im not sure i wrote it correctly) and this because she saw Alexandra wearing these stones when a child and was very impressed(Ena had a portrait of the Tsarina hung in her study) . I read as well that grand duchess Ella sent her as wedding present a big saphire in 1906.

Can I ask where you read this? It touches on 3 of my favorite topics--royal jewels, Queen Ena and Ella! Many thanks.

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/
Reply #17
« on: April 12, 2004, 06:38:02 AM »
Greg_King Offline
Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 534

View Profile WWW

To Penny!!

I was wondering in your new book about dear Ernie,
are you planning to include any of the Grand Duke's poems? There are some splendid extracts in the Knodt book. But in case you are interested, there is a copy for sale of his book "Rosenhoehe" at this address: -
Erasmushaus - Haus der Buecher, Baeumleingasse 18, Basel, Switzerland. CH-4001. Its rather expensive if i remember, but i suppose because it is so rare. Good luck with your book!! I can't wait to see it, im very very interested in the Hessians, so am terribly looking forward to it!

Best wishes,
Elisa Smiley

For Christmas, a friend gave me one of a limited and numbered editions of Ernie's poems, published in 1917 to mark, presumably, his 25th anniversary as Grand Duke.  I understand that there are more, as well as his plays and songs-but we'll definitely be using all the material we can find.

Greg King
Reply #18
« on: April 21, 2004, 05:29:24 AM »
Janet_Ashton Offline
Boyar

View Profile

In the back of the book on Ernie, there is information about a book on Onor called "Grossherzogin Eleonore, eine Denkschrift uber ihr soziales Werk". It appears to have some kind of contribution from M. Ewald, but i don't know if it was written by her...

Elisa Smiley

Maria von Ewald was the editor of "Grossherzogin Eleonore und Ihr Werk", published in Darmstadt in 1938. I don't yet know what element of personal reminiscence if any might be included

Janet
Reply #19
« on: April 22, 2004, 06:45:32 PM »
bookworm8571 Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 54

View Profile

Looking at that family tree always reminds me of the tragic Kennedys. So many deaths in such tragic circumstances. Ernie's son, pregnant wife, grandsons and widow all died in a plane crash on their way to the other son's wedding. The surviving son and his fiancee married quietly after that and adopted little Princess Johanna, the only survivor of his brother's family. Then little Johanna died a year or so later of illness and they weren't able to have children of their own. What a terribly sad, tragic family history.
Reply #20
« on: June 10, 2004, 06:47:34 PM »
borgia Offline
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 71

View Profile

Im glad that Onor and Ernie(great names for a couple)had a  good,friendly,  happy relationship.I think that they would have been truly nice people to have called friends.
Reply #21
« on: July 10, 2004, 09:02:54 PM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

I read that the Grand Duke stayed in England in 1910 - it might have been in occasion of his uncle's funeral, but of course I could be wrong.

He did attend his uncle's funeral, marching in the 9th row alongside Prince Henry of Prussia and the GD of Mecklenberg-Strelitz. If I still had access to the Times archive, I could check the Court Circulars.  Angry  Luckily, I'd saved the programs/articles dealing with Edward VII.

Reply #22
« on: July 10, 2004, 09:06:59 PM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

There is a painting of GD Ernst c1907 by Franz von Stuck in the Schlossmuseum (on the left clique on geschichte):

http://www.schlossmuseum-darmstadt.de/start.htm

Joanna

This is the photo used on the dust jacket from the bio of the GD by Manfred Knodt as well.

Reply #23
« on: July 13, 2004, 06:59:51 PM »
Annie Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

That is such a tragic story, I always wondered what happened Sad

There are some excellent pictures of Ernie in Greg's book about Alexandra. Would it be okay if I scanned them and posted them? Someone said pictures can't be posted here? But that has changed, hasn't it, since there are pics here now?? Huh
Reply #24
« on: July 21, 2004, 08:09:25 PM »
Annie Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Right, Louise, I didn't think of that. I was thinking of the British connection. Cecile was Alexandra's great neice, her mother was Alice, daughter of Alexandra's oldest sister Victoria, of course granddaughter of Queen Victoria. Also, Cecile was Prince Phillip's big sister.

That picture is so sad, knowing what happened. It's good to see them though.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 05:00:00 PM by Annie » Logged
Reply #25
« on: August 18, 2004, 05:32:03 PM »
Jim1026

:-*I read the bio of Ernie on the Time Machine and enjoyed it very much and was wondering when the
pictures of Ernies grave was going to be available or if I happened to miss them.
Reply #26
« on: August 19, 2004, 08:19:03 AM »
jfkhaos Offline
Graf

View Profile

I have been searching through the threads but haven't come across this question, so here goes.....are there any pictures of Ernie and Onor's wedding?  I have seen several of Ernie and Ducky.  Also, in one of the initial responses in this thread it says that this board is not equipped for pictures...is this still the case?  Thanks in advance!
Reply #27
« on: August 20, 2004, 10:37:48 AM »
Lisa Offline
Velikye Knyaz
Alix & Ella Posts: 1464

View Profile

Eleonor of Solms:

Reply #28
« on: August 30, 2004, 07:20:07 PM »
Bsquared Offline
Boyar
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 137

View Profile

Who is the relative of the Hesse Kassel family that inherited the Hesse Darmstadt homes, art, treasures, etc.? Was it Prince Ranier, nephew of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
Reply #29
« on: August 30, 2004, 08:04:13 PM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

Who is the relative of the Hesse Kassel family that inherited the Hesse Darmstadt homes, art, treasures, etc.? Was it Prince Ranier, nephew of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.

Isn't Prince Moritz the one who was 'adopted' by Ludwig & Margaret to become the head of the Hesse family? I would think that he would have gotten at least the bulk of what there was--separate from personal bequests and what may have been left to the state or country for historical purposes. And, as shown in another discussion re: Ella's aquamarine tiara, some items had been given to other Hessian relatives over the years.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 21 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: