The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum

User Info & Key Stats   
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
April 20, 2014, 06:48:21 AM
458641 Posts in 8879 Topics by 8296 Members
Latest Member: cranewoods
News: We think Pallasart is the best web design company in Austin and for good reason - they make this forum possible! Looking for a website? Call them at 512 469-7454.
+  The Alexander Palace Time Machine Discussion Forum
|-+  Discussions about the Imperial Family and European Royalty
| |-+  The Windsors (Moderators: grandduchessella, ChristineM, BobAtchison, Forum Admin, Svetabel)
| | |-+  Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Down Print
Author
Topic: Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll  (Read 49026 times)
Reply #105
« on: April 15, 2009, 08:26:39 AM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz
Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D Posts: 13148

View Profile WWW

There are a good number of photos of Louise carrying out events in the 1920s into the 1930s. She looked very sprightly and interested in them. This in comparison to her 'namesake' Princess Louise, Duchess of Fife. One paper printed the older Louise's photo in the younger's 1931 obituary--the elder was seen much more in the years leading up to that year than the younger.

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/
Reply #106
« on: April 15, 2009, 10:05:57 AM »
Keith Offline
Graf
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 386

View Profile

Hi,

Princess Louise looks very good and quite pretty for an elderly woman.  In the 30's, she would have been in her 80's and luckily still upright!!  She reminds me a little of Mary Pickford.

I've seen a picture of the Duchess of Windsor in a chair, swatting a fly or bee on her terrace.  I don't know when that picture was taken but it did say 'reclusive' on the caption.

Larry

I never noticed that before, but she does remind me of Mary Pickford. I think in John Van Der Kiste's book on QV's children, he shows a picture of Louise and Beatrice both age 78, and Beatrice is quite stooped, and aged the worse of the two.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2013, 01:19:47 PM by Svetabel » Logged
Reply #107
« on: April 17, 2009, 05:16:03 AM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

I saw this on AOL today. A piece of cake from Louise's wedding is up for sale:

http://news.aol.com/article/royal-wedding-cake/431122?icid=main|hp-desktop|dl1|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fnews.aol.com%2Farticle%2Froyal-wedding-cake%2F431122

"LONDON (April 16) - Would you pay $215 for a slice of very stale cake? That's what an antiques fair in Birmingham hopes to earn when people bid for the remnant from one of Britain's most controversial royal weddings. The cake is thought to be the only surviving item from the 1871 wedding of Queen Victoria's fourth daughter, Princess Louise, to the Marquis of Lorne. It went on sale for $215 Thursday at the Antiques for Everyone fair in Birmingham. The seller is antiques dealer John Shepherd. He bought the slice from a private seller who is a descendant of a noble family from Kent....The slice, which is one-inch thick and protected by parchment, is a tiny portion of the towering 5-foot cake served at Princess Louise's wedding. The entire cake originally weighed over 225 pounds and took three months to create. The wedding caused an uproar when Princess Louise angered the Prince of Wales by becoming the first British princess to marry a commoner. She was determined not to be burdened by the ritual of marrying another royal.
The cake slice is still wrapped in its original parchment, and it was kept for generations in a gentleman's "cabinet of curiosity" where men kept treasures to show off, such as fossils and pieces of Egyptian art."

Reply #108
« on: April 17, 2009, 10:21:31 AM »
Terence Offline
Boyar

View Profile

The wedding caused an uproar when Princess Louise angered the Prince of Wales by becoming the first British princess to marry a commoner. She was determined not to be burdened by the ritual of marrying another royal.

Not being overly familiar w/ Bristish nuances, would it be correct to consider someone like the Marquis of Lorne a "commoner"?  What would be the correct term, British nobility or aristocracy?
I understand the point the author of the article is trying to make, but it's not exactly, well even remotely, accurate.  Anyone knowledgeable about the British royals know when the last time a king's daughter married one of her father's subjects before Louise?  I can't think of any since the daughters of Edward IV, and that was actually common at the time and before.  Was there someone between then and Louise?

T
Reply #109
« on: April 17, 2009, 11:15:36 AM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

In general terms, he was a commoner--he wasn't royal. Technically, you're right. He was the heir to a Dukedom which would place him at the top of the non-royal foodchain of the aristocracy--2nd only to royal princes.

" No such marriage, between a daughter of a Sovereign and a British subject, had been given official recognition since 1515, when Charles Brandon, the first Duke of Suffolk, married Mary Tudor. Louise's brother, the Prince of Wales, was strongly opposed to a marriage with a non-mediatized noble. Furthermore, Lorne's father, George Campbell, the eighth Duke of Argyll, was an ardent supporter of William Gladstone, and the Prince of Wales was worried that he would drag the royal family into political disputes...The new breach in royal tradition caused surprise, especially in Germany, and Queen Victoria wrote to the Queen of Prussia that princes of small impoverished German houses were “very unpopular” in Britain and that Lord Lorne, a “person of distinction at home” with “an independent fortune” was “really no lower in rank than minor German Royalty”.

QV wrote to the Prince of Wales in 1869:

“ That which you object to [that Louise should marry a subject] I feel certain will be for Louise's happiness and for the peace and quiet of the family… Times have changed; great foreign alliances are looked on as causes of trouble and anxiety, and are of no good. What could be more painful than the position in which our family were placed during the wars with Denmark, and between Prussia and Austria?… You may not be aware, as I am, with what dislike the marriages of Princesses of the Royal Family with small German Princes (German beggars as they most insultingly were called)… As to position, I see no difficulty whatever; Louise remains what she is, and her husband keeps his rank… only being treated in the family as a relation when we are together… "

Reply #110
« on: April 01, 2010, 11:29:10 AM »
royal_netherlands Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

I just read that HM Queen Elizabeth II and her sister the late princess Margaret called Kensington Palace 'Auntie Palace' and Edward VIII called it in his very own style 'Aunt Heap'. Was it because their old aunts Louise (Argyll) and Beatrice were making their residence at this palace? I always thought Beatrice was living at Brantridge Park (residence of princess Alice of Athlone and her husband) in her later years, or at least in the time of the 'little princesses'. Or were there more (female) family-members living at Kensington Palace at that time? When Beatrice and Louise were living there together, did they share apartments? I think it's a sweet name given by princess Elizabeth and Margaret. Imagine that Queen Elizabeth was thirteen and eightteen at the time of the deaths of Louise (Argyll) and Beatrice, so she must have some nice memories of both of them.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 11:30:45 AM by royal_netherlands » Logged
Reply #111
« on: April 01, 2010, 01:13:37 PM »
Margot Offline
Graf

View Profile

I think Princess Louise lived at Number 1 and then Princess Marina had the apartment which was later renumbered and the layout of the apartments altered. I believe Princess Betarice may have had Number 10 which became the London home of her son and daughter-in-law, the Carisbrookes after the war. This apartment was then the first home at KP of Princess Margaret and Lord Snowden before they moved in Apartment 1a and later on Number 10 became the current home of Prince and Princess Michael of Kent.
Reply #112
« on: April 02, 2010, 01:42:13 PM »
Eddie_uk Offline
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Im intigued! Are there any photos of Ribsden Holt, one of Princess Louises residences and afterward 1939 home of Princess Patricia, who died there in 1974, i've searched to no avail! Smiley
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 01:44:55 PM by Eddie_uk » Logged

Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.
Reply #113
« on: April 05, 2010, 10:19:37 AM »
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

I can't find any photos of Ribson Holt either Eddie, but I keep on trying to find atleast one!

In de mean time a photo of Louise Argyll who is just saying goodbye and is ready to leave us by train...

Princess Louise, the Duchess of Argyll is making a trip from Victoria Station untill the South of France by train on 23 March of 1933.
Reply #114
« on: April 05, 2010, 11:04:06 AM »
Eric_Lowe Offline
Velikye Knyaz
I love YaBB 1G - SP1! Posts: 17182

View Profile

I wonder who was the lady Louise is saying goodbye to ?
Reply #115
« on: April 17, 2010, 09:31:53 AM »
Carolath Habsburg Offline
Velikye Knyaz
As seen on TUMBLR! Posts: 4839

View Profile WWW

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button
Reply #116
« on: April 26, 2010, 03:00:52 PM »
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

Description from Sotheby's:

Centring on an oval sepia miniature depicting Prince Albert within a frame of old mine diamonds, to a hinged bangle decorated with blue guilloché enamel, length approximately 190mm, inscribed to the inside 'Bequeathed by H.R.H. the Duchess of Gloucester, to the Princess Louisa, Obt. 30th April 1857.'

CATALOGUE NOTE

Princess Mary, Duchess of Gloucester and Edinburgh, was the eleventh child and fourth daughter of George III. On the 22nd July 1816 she was married to her first cousin, Prince William Frederick, Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh, the son of George III's brother Prince William Henry, Duke of Gloucester and Edinburgh. At the time of her death on the 30th April 1857 she was the last surviving child of George III and Queen Charlotte.

Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll, was the sixth child and fourth daughter of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert, born on the 18th March 1848; she was married to the Marques of Lorne heir to the title of the Duke of Argyll on the 21st March 1871 and died on the 3rd December 1939.

Reply #117
« on: April 26, 2010, 03:17:45 PM »
grandduchessella Offline
Global Moderator
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile WWW

I always loved that portrait sitting of Louise.  Middle age was very good to Louise.  Smiley

Reply #118
« on: April 26, 2010, 04:17:39 PM »
Velikye Knyaz

View Profile

You are sure right about that gdella! Here is one of her from 1933.

Reply #119
« on: April 27, 2010, 05:48:50 AM »
Carolath Habsburg Offline
Velikye Knyaz
As seen on TUMBLR! Posts: 4839

View Profile WWW

Lorne looks like an old BF i had

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12 Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: