Author Topic: Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll  (Read 106765 times)

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll
« on: February 19, 2007, 01:08:55 PM »
Is it true that Louise's real name was actually Louisa?

I had never heard or read that before but it says so in the following information:

Princess Louise of Great Britain

Parents: Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and Queen Victoria
Born: 18 March 1848 at Buckingham Palace; Died: 3 December 1939 at Kensington Palace
Christened: 13 May 1848 in the Private Chapel at Buckingham Palace by John Bird Sumner, Archbishop of Canterbury*
Names: Louisa Caroline Alberta†
Godparents:
• Duke Gustav of Mecklenburg-Schwerin (for whom her father Prince Albert stood proxy)‡
• the Duchess of Saxe-Meiningen (née Princess Marie of Hesse-Cassel, for whom Dowager Queen Adelaide stood proxy)
• the Hereditary Grand Duchess (later Grand Duchess) of Mecklenburg-Strelitz (née Princess Augusta of Great Britain, the Queen's cousin, for whom Augusta's mother the Duchess of Cambridge stood proxy)
Sources: BBR:246; Illustrated London News, 30 May 1848; The Times, 15 May 1848; Wake:19-20

* Queen Victoria's elderly aunt, Princess Mary, Duchess of Gloucester, was a guest at the ceremony. The Duchess was, however, "in one of her nervous states", according to Her Majesty when she wrote to her uncle King Leopold I three days later, "and gave us a dreadful fright at the Christening by quite forgetting where she was, and coming and kneeling at my feet in the midst of the service. Imagine our horror!" (Benson/Esher, Letters, Vol. II, p. 174)

† The names pronounced at Princess Louise's christening were Louisa Caroline Alberta, but within a few years, "the first name by which she was known [Louisa] took the form of Louise". (Williamson, Brewer's British Royalty, p. 246)

‡ Princess Louise's parents had initially chosen a fourth godparent for their daughter (the Prince of Prussia, the future German Emperor Wilhelm I), but it was deemed politically prudent not to have a member of a royal family whose throne was seen as unstable during the revolutionary state of affairs in Europe at this time. (Wake, Princess Louise, p. 20)

From the Royal Christenings site: http://users.uniserve.com/~canyon/christenings.htm#Christenings

« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 03:16:42 PM by Svetabel »
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 09:08:19 PM »
Is the only thread about Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll?

And since she lived until December 1939 how come there are no pictures of her later in life.  Does anybody have any?

Thanks,

-Duke of NJ

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2007, 05:13:05 AM »
There are a few nice pics of Louise in later life. One was included in Cecil Beatons biography. She looked very grand as you would expect! Sorry if I had it I would post it.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2007, 05:42:25 AM »
Louise comes over as a very kind,generous woman..the way she gave houses & gems to less fortunate family members in old age..including relatives of her husband..

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2007, 08:07:55 AM »
Is the only thread about Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll?

And since she lived until December 1939 how come there are no pictures of her later in life.  Does anybody have any?

Thanks,

-Duke of NJ

Yes it's the only thread dedicated to her. I want to find out for certain if her real first name was LOUISA.  :-\
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2007, 08:10:25 AM »
there was probably another thread that got lost during one of the forum's crashes. Is Louisa the German form of Louise? If so, it probably was her real first name, since she was named after Albert's mother. There are lots of instances of that in QV's family - she herself went from 'Drina' to Victoria, Queen Mary's real first name was Victoria, so was her daughter's, etc.
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 08:17:49 AM »
Yes there probably was another thread before so many were lost. Yes there are many examples of first names at  birth not being used, and another name taking its place. I'd just like to know for sure if Louisa/Louise is one of these examples. :)

Offline Aliss_Kande

• Graf
  • Viktoria Luise
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 09:23:57 AM »
To the best of my knowledge, her name was actually Louise.  I have only ever heard her referred to as Louisa in German translations of the name. 

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 07:52:55 PM »
Here name was spelled with an "e" at the end, but both Victoria and Albert frequently spoke in German and pronounced names in the German way. Hence Louise is pronounced Louisa in German (the same as the correct pronunciation of Porche includes the short a or e at the end).

it would have been interesting to have William of Prussia attend as godfather as he was destined to become the father in law of Vicky 10 years later. Who would have known?
HerrKaiser

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 10:35:23 PM »
Louise when older:

the well-known deLaszlo portrait of her in her widow's weeds

presenting awards around 1917

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 10:36:06 PM »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 10:37:37 PM »
portrait of a middle-aged Louise

Louise & Lorne

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 04:39:53 AM »
So have I got this right - She was baptised with the name Louise or Luise in German  - which is pronounced Louise in English and Louisa in German, and since some members of her family often spoke in German - she was often called Louisa particularly when little - which led some to believe that her actual real name was Louisa?

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 03:08:39 PM »
She looks so serene and lovely in the Laszlo portrait.
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 03:10:56 PM »
It's a great portrait of HRH, I like it very much.