Author Topic: Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll  (Read 106233 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Princess Louise, Duchess of Argyll
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2007, 08:33:44 PM »
Were Louise's homes Argyll properties? Perhaps knowing there would be no children by 1901, and thus no heir, QV wanted to ensure Louise would have her own home once she was widowed?
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2007, 12:10:13 AM »
I guess Mother knew best!!

Offline Keith

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2007, 06:11:15 PM »
Were Louise's homes Argyll properties? Perhaps knowing there would be no children by 1901, and thus no heir, QV wanted to ensure Louise would have her own home once she was widowed?

It's been a while since I've ready my Louise bios, but I thnk they were Argyll property, but I thought she had access to a dower house in Scotland, and she had her apartments in KP. I'll have to dig them out and see what they say, I just didn't recall it being mentioned.

Offline Tdora1

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2007, 05:43:56 AM »
Just one point re the 'Mother knows everything' point (QV re PL's alleged affairs/child): QV indeed may have known everything but that doesn't mean she couldn't keep a secret. :-X  Her diaries were heavily edited by Beatrice after QV's death (on the instructions of Herself) and correspondence was often being bought back and burnt during the Edwardian era (eg the John Brown stuff). As if QV would let any mere non-royal into knowing about such a scandal! For what its worth I'd heard it was the sculptor Laszlo who was the putative father. And whatever Lorne's sexuality may have been rumoured, promiscuity was not part of it.  :D  Louise's marriage seemed to collapse around the time she spent in Ottawa with Lorne as the Govenor. She had an horrendous carriage accident which gave her head injuries - the effects of which lasted throughout her life. She had also had meningitis as a child. Not a happy combination.... :(
Acts of injustice done
Between the setting and the rising sun
In history lie like bones, each one.

W.H. Auden The Ascent of F6

Offline Tdora1

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2007, 05:53:01 AM »
Tchoh. What am I like. The rumoured papa was the sculptor who gave PL classes in Kensington - would have been Boehm in that case (? don't have any refs close by) and not Laszlo.  I don't think much credence to the possibility anyway. Oh and as for looks, IMO PL did have more delicate and symmetrical features than her sisters (except for Vicky, whose doll-face stood in some contrast to the others) especially her nose and chin being more in proportion. What made her stand out especially was her elegant dress sense, avoiding the upholstered and froufrou swags her sisters were smothered in. She also seemed to have missed the premature slide into matronly middle-age which seems to have affected Beatrice and Lenchen in their 30's. Pl photographs at the same age - during the 1890's - show her as still vivacious and youthful-looking. QV'sD by Marlene says that PL experimented with her diet and beauty regime specifically to avoid both this and the ailments which afflicted them too such as rheumatism.
Acts of injustice done
Between the setting and the rising sun
In history lie like bones, each one.

W.H. Auden The Ascent of F6

Offline eejm

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2007, 10:45:47 AM »
Tchoh. What am I like. The rumoured papa was the sculptor who gave PL classes in Kensington - would have been Boehm in that case (? don't have any refs close by) and not Laszlo.  I don't think much credence to the possibility anyway. Oh and as for looks, IMO PL did have more delicate and symmetrical features than her sisters (except for Vicky, whose doll-face stood in some contrast to the others) especially her nose and chin being more in proportion. What made her stand out especially was her elegant dress sense, avoiding the upholstered and froufrou swags her sisters were smothered in. She also seemed to have missed the premature slide into matronly middle-age which seems to have affected Beatrice and Lenchen in their 30's. Pl photographs at the same age - during the 1890's - show her as still vivacious and youthful-looking. QV'sD by Marlene says that PL experimented with her diet and beauty regime specifically to avoid both this and the ailments which afflicted them too such as rheumatism.

Packard talks about Louise maintaining her youthful figure as well in Victoria's Daughters.  While I don't doubt that a more healthful diet and staying active helped Louise stay slim, I don't think it's fair to compare her figure to those of Beatrice's and Helena's for two reasons.  The first is that Louise had no children.  Beatrice had four, and Helena had six (four surviving).  That certainly takes a toll on a female body.  Secondly, in Beatrice's case (and possibily in Helena's), she was a carrier of hemophilia.  Although carriers aren't hemophiliacs themselves, many do have increased bleeding and a predilection to certain ailments - rheumatism being one of them. 

It would be interesting to see if Alice stayed slim into her later years, had she lived.  It seemed that she and Louise may have naturally been a bit slimmer than their other sisters.

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2007, 03:28:41 PM »
It seems to me that Alice would have retained her figure; if you compare Vicky and Alice, each after giving birth to their total numbers of children, Alice still maintained her figure.  It should also be remembered that Alice, although in ill health in her last years, continued to be devoted to her charities and children, and although Hesse Darmstadt was relatively small, Alice seemingly made it into a powerhouse of nursing and charitible works.  Louise, I would assume, also stayed busy and I believe I have read somewhere that she didn't want to end up developing into the kind of figure that her sisters and mother assumed.

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2007, 01:52:40 AM »

Louise became Duchess of Argyll in 1900 when her husband succeeded as 9th Duke, but sadly the couple never had children and when the Duke died in 1914, he was succeeded by a nephew. Despite this lack in their lives, Louise and Argyll were very happy together and when he developed what appears to have been Alzheimer's Disease, she nursed him devotedly.

This was undoubtedly one of the great unsung royal love matches.

According to the site at the  bottom... Louise and her Husband were very happy together!

http://www.historicalautographs.co.uk/catalogue.asp?content=Royalty     site with copy of Louise's Handwriting to look at!

http://www.britannia.com/history/biographies/louise.html
« Last Edit: October 09, 2007, 02:02:46 AM by Mari »

Offline eejm

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2007, 11:15:20 AM »
Louise became Duchess of Argyll in 1900 when her husband succeeded as 9th Duke, but sadly the couple never had children and when the Duke died in 1914, he was succeeded by a nephew. Despite this lack in their lives, Louise and Argyll were very happy together and when he developed what appears to have been Alzheimer's Disease, she nursed him devotedly.

This was undoubtedly one of the great unsung royal love matches.

According to the site at the  bottom... Louise and her Husband were very happy together!

http://www.historicalautographs.co.uk/catalogue.asp?content=Royalty     site with copy of Louise's Handwriting to look at!

http://www.britannia.com/history/biographies/louise.html

I've seen this quote before too and never figured out where the author got his/her information.  Lorne and Louise were separated for long periods due to their own choosing, mostly starting during the years they were in Canada.  Their physical relationship did not last more than a few years into their marriage, which is part of the reason Lorne is often thought to have been homosexual.  I don't think the two hated each other by any means, and probably didn't even dislike each other, but rather had different interests and personalities, which they pursued separately.  Louise did care for Lorne during his final years. 

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2007, 01:26:06 PM »
The relationship was a very complex one--Jehanne Wake's bio on Louise probably deals with it the best in my opinion. The 2 went through a period of estrangement following Louise's accident in Canada--I think she returned to England for a very lengthy period of time--but were closer than are often given credit. This isn't to say it was a great love but, especially in later years, the 2 had a much stronger relationship than earlier on and Louise was devastated at his death.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 09, 2007, 02:08:11 PM »
The britannia.com article is, in my opinion, something of a "puff" piece.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2007, 10:39:51 AM »

She was baptised Louise. Not Louisa.   She was named for Albert's mother, who was LUISE

there was probably another thread that got lost during one of the forum's crashes. Is Louisa the German form of Louise? If so, it probably was her real first name, since she was named after Albert's mother. There are lots of instances of that in QV's family - she herself went from 'Drina' to Victoria, Queen Mary's real first name was Victoria, so was her daughter's, etc.
Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline XJaseyRaeX

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2007, 03:06:44 PM »
here's some pictures of Louise

and i believe this is a painting of Louise

I am.

Offline eejm

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2007, 08:04:37 PM »
I wonder how Louise's and Lorne's marriage would have changed had they been able to have children.  I know that this was something both wanted, for dynastic purposes and also because both partners wanted a family. Perhaps they'd have found more common ground with a few children and had a less rocky marriage.

Offline Mary R.

• Boyar
  • Queen Mary: Visions of Grandeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2007, 04:29:41 PM »
Just to check, are Beatrice and Helena with Louise in the wedding photo?

Mary R.
"I shall be very disappointed," she remarked for the record, "if George doesn't come up again." Queen Mary upon hearing her husband was to ride in a submarine.

When asked the question of when her eldest son would return to the country Queen Mary said, "Not until he comes to my funeral."