Author Topic: Forensic Science Service DNA Lab ... Not Perfect?  (Read 1558 times)

Offline J_Kendrick

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Forensic Science Service DNA Lab ... Not Perfect?
« on: February 21, 2007, 08:55:58 PM »
From The Telegraph
February, 22, 2007

2,000 crime files reopened after DNA blunders

By John Steele, Crime Correspondent

Up to 2,000 cases of violent crime, including rapes and murders, are to be reviewed to discover whether forensic scientists missed DNA evidence which could have convicted dangerous criminals.

Chief constables in 43 police forces in England and Wales have been asked to look for cases between 2000 and 2005 where they expected, but failed, to find certain types of DNA evidence.

The review has been launched after detectives reinvestigating the murder of Rachel Nickell on Wimbledon Common in 1992 found that the Forensic Science Service (FSS) had failed to find DNA pointing to a suspect on evidence from Miss Nickell.

A rival forensic agency, using the same evidence, made the vital discovery. It used a different application of the DNA technology - Low Copy Number (LCN) analysis, which can identity DNA profiles in scraps of human tissue.

A mental patient detained for murdering a young mother and her daughter is expected to be charged with killing Miss Nickell. The Home Office, which ultimately controls the FSS, has demanded an explanation for its failure.

See:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/22/ndna22.xml

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Re: Forensic Science Service DNA Lab ... Not Perfect?
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 08:52:44 AM »
Once again, this demonstrates how important DNA is (when used appropriately) as evidence!

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2007, 11:05:13 AM »
I think is shows that mistakes can be and are made.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 07:08:19 PM »
I think is shows that mistakes can be and are made.

If this article was posted here to imply that similar mistakes were made with the Romanov DNA (which of course is the case), Mr Kendricks is barking up the wrong tree...  If you read this article carefully and understand it, it actually confirms that the Romanov DNA results are correct, not makes you question them... 

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2007, 11:20:37 AM »
Chill Helen. All I said was that I thought it showed that mistakes could be made. Period. I did not say that I thought mistakes were made with the testing of the IF DNA. You drew that conclusion on your own. Had I thought that , I would have said so. Please do not insult my intelligence with statements in bold like "and understand it" because of assumptions you made from reading my post.
Thank you,
Lexi
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"