Author Topic: Stieglitz Palace, aka Palace of GD Pavel Aleksandrovitch  (Read 21298 times)

Offline Reco

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Stieglitz Palace, aka Palace of GD Pavel Aleksandrovitch
« on: May 23, 2005, 09:33:41 PM »
Adm_Angliyskaja 68 - English observer, 68. Baron shtiglits's house (palace it conducted prince Pavel Alexandrovich) 1862 Photos on 17 April 04

Offline gleb

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Stieglitz Palace, aka Palace of GD Pavel Aleksandrovitch
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 01:45:33 PM »
Is there anyone who knows what is the current state of the Stieglitz palace. Is is visitable, was it damaged. Did the son of GD. Pavel live there?

Offline gleb

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2005, 01:49:02 PM »
The museum was counded at the Central School of Industrial Design in 1876 by industrialist Baron Aleksandr Stieglitz.

I do not understand a thing: it is not  the same palace of the previous Stieglits palace post, isn't it?

So Stieglits had two palaces?? Where did he live?When did he die?

The palace of GD. Pavel was built for him and then sold to Stieglits or what else?
And the famous watercolours that show this palace were done at the time of which owner, GD. Pavel or the Baron.

I hope to have been clear.

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:37:07 PM by Svetabel »

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2005, 06:17:02 AM »
Gleb,
The picture you posted is the Stieglits Museum, not the residence of Baron Stieglits.  It is part of an Art School and is located at Solyanoy pereulok, 13 and is part of the Mukhinskaya Academy of Art. Stieglitz commissioned Maximillian Mesmakher to design the building as the School of Decorative Arts in 1879.  
Bob G

Offline gleb

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2005, 08:17:18 AM »
These are some of the rooms of the Stieglits Palace. As those watercolours were realized in 1870 by Premazzi and as GD. Pavel was born in 1860 I suppose the palace was purchased for him when he got married in 1889. At that time I suppose the Baron had already died.

http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/fcgi-bin/db2www/quickSearchDL.mac/DLgallery?selLang=English&tmCond=stieglitz&START_ROW_NUM_DL=5&x=13&y=16

Offline Vassili_Vorontsoff

• Knyaz
  • If I should die,think only this of me...R.Brooke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2007, 07:11:04 AM »
As the webmaster coucil me ,I create this subject..

The Stieglitz and specially the outstanding Alexander STIEGLITZ WAS THE banker of the russian court(and later director of the state national bank).Ifs some are interested I have the portrait of the baron and his daughter(married to Polovtsov,member of the state council)

Alexander is well-known for having created the school of art(I have some pics of it and could send it later);the family was considered as one of the most wealthy in the russian empire(17 millions of roubles of inheritance for Stieglitz's daughter).

The family palace is situated on the the English embarkment,it was constructed  betwen 1859 and 1862 by Alexander Kraukau.

It was sold to grand duc Paul in 1887?who change the interiors(Messmaker,1890)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 07:15:28 AM by Vassili_Vorontsoff »

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 07:17:24 AM »
This is now owned by a private company who pledge to restore it.

Watercolors of Luigi Primazzi(Hermitage)

(Private room of his wife on the right)

And the interiors at the time of Grand duc Paul

Baron Stieglitz offered  one million to the state to create his personnal school,a school to which he gave an autonomy of 9,5 millions roubles.

Most of art objects were sold by Antiquariat (soviet organisation for the sell of nobles's treasures).

Some of the paints are situated in the Hermitage actually(notably Amour conduit Psychée à l'Olympe de Hans von Maurées and Cour avec grotte à la résidence royale de Munich of the same artist)

All my info come from the excellent book Grandes collectiosn de la Russie impériale(I do not know if it exist into english...But given the fact the introduction is written by the director of the Hermitage,M.Piottrovski I may assume it could be found in Russia...)
http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/3132141/Neverov-Oleg-Grandes-Collections-De-La-Russie-Imperiale-Livre.html
« Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 07:36:32 AM by Vassili_Vorontsoff »

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2007, 02:43:49 PM »

Offline taffie

• Imperial Russia Dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2007, 06:21:09 PM »
If the Stieglitz was the palace of the Grand duke Paul,  is this the palace were his daughter Maria Pavlona was born?  Did
Paul still own the palace during the revolution and what is the address when I'm in St. Peteresburg so I can visit it? 

David

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2007, 01:28:12 PM »
Taffie,
I don't know if she was born here, but she lived here before she was "adopted" by Serge & Ella, and describes the palace in "The Education of a Princess."  I think Paul no longer owned it during the revolution as he forfeited his rights and property when he married morganastically.  When he was allowed to return to Russia, he built a new home in Tsarskoye Selo.

The address of the Steiglitz/Grand Duke Paul palace is 68 English Quay/Embankment  (or Angliyskaya naberezhnaya, 68).

BobG

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2007, 12:15:07 PM »
If the Stieglitz was the palace of the Grand duke Paul,  is this the palace were his daughter Maria Pavlona was born?  Did
Paul still own the palace during the revolution and what is the address when I'm in St. Peteresburg so I can visit it? 

David

Yes, GDss Maria Pavlovna-younger was born in St-Petersbourg, in the palace of her father.
In 1916 GD Pavel wanted to sell the palace but for some reason did not have enough time. In 1917 the palace was nationalized ad for years was being neglected. Now the building is leased.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 04:28:27 AM »
The white drawing room by Premazzi in 1870,I've fixed it from the Taleon's club document.

I'm overwhelmed by those interiors...

Offline manuelrodriguez

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2007, 10:07:31 PM »
I just love the scenery, cool pics

Offline brnbg aka: liljones1968

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 08:53:20 PM »

baroness Stieglitz' study
(click on image for larger version)

« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 08:58:04 PM by brnbg aka: liljones1968 »
"when i die, i hope i go like my grandfather --
peacefully in my sleep; not screaming & in terror,
like the passengers in his car."

-- anonymous

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 10:58:26 AM »
The palace would be used dor a student ball by the association Cover, this ball aims at revivong the tradition of aristocratics nights, it will be taken in a prerevolutonary style.

http://saint-petersburg.ru/m/225947/w_osobnyake_barona_shtiglitsa_proydet_studencheskiy_bal_p.html&usg=ALkJrhiUd0eGeTjoTau9JHyfxvoJusuDQw