Author Topic: Marinsky palace, town hall of St Petersburg  (Read 8224 times)

Offline Vassili_Vorontsoff

• Knyaz
  • If I should die,think only this of me...R.Brooke
    • View Profile
Marinsky palace, town hall of St Petersburg
« on: March 01, 2007, 09:50:48 AM »
I pursue my list of wealthy aristocrat who were both wll-known for their titles,fortune,btu even more interesting for their taste in art.

Princess Marie married to Eugène's grand son de Beauharnais:Maximilien de Leuchtenberg(encore un damné français!his father  was the son of Joséphine's -wife of Napoléon the Irst-firqt wedding)was one of the favorite daughter of Alexander II,who accepted a wedding of love whereas her hand was asked by the greatest court in Europe on condition that she stayed in Russia.

Her palace designed by Stackenschneider(1840-1845) became the place of her collection that has been mostly sold by soviets...remains only those pics who could give an idea of what was life thre before revolution...More in the book:Grandes collections de la Russie impériale by Neverov and Ducamp: http://www.priceminister.com/offer/buy/3132141/Neverov-Oleg-Grandes-Collections-De-La-Russie-Imperiale-Livre.html

The pompeian great hall

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Marinsky palace, town hall of St Petersburg
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2007, 04:52:10 PM »

Given the fact I do  not have any comment,I'm wondering wether one is interested by my posts...

Does some have more interiors's pics?
Vassia

Offline Valmont

• Graf
  • I love History  !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 06:25:28 PM »
Vassily,
Please do not think that because there is no comments on a post, it means it is not interesing or fascinating.
I, unfortunately, do not have pictures to share, but I always wondered  what this palace looked like. The first time I heard about it was when  GD Marie Pavlova the elder  used  it to have tea parties in it whenever  the Dowager Empress was out of St. Petersburg...
It is a beautiful place.

Arturo Vega Llausás
Arturo Vega-Llausás

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 06:47:50 PM »
I enjoy your posts as well, Vasilly. But I have nothing to add. I have the same books you do ! If I find something different to add, I will surely share it.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 06:36:06 AM »
Thanks both for your posts,it's nice to see those comments,I understand that many times there is nothing to add to a subject however it is pleasant  to have the opinion of the others members.

Many thanks,
Vassia

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2007, 07:30:46 PM »
The first time I heard about it was when  GD Marie Pavlova the elder  used  it to have tea parties in it whenever  the Dowager Empress was out of St. Petersburg...

That sounds really interesting, could you please elaborate!  Why did Maria Pavlona use Mariinksy Palace, what about her own Vlad. Palace on the Neva?

-Duke of NJ

Offline Valmont

• Graf
  • I love History  !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2007, 02:51:29 PM »
Well.. I think they both liked the palace and it was state propiety, I think MP thought that if MF could use, shoe could also do it. Although, MP allways did when MF was out of St. Petersburg. I think MP knew it was not ok to do it, but she just did not care.
One thing is for sure, MP never held another tea party there after MF caught her doing it..
Arturo Vega-Llausás

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2007, 06:10:55 PM »
Hi DNJ & Valmont,

I think you are both confusing the Maryinski Palace with the Maryinski Theater.

It was the Imperial Box in the Maryinski Theater that Maria Pavlovna held a couple of tea parties and one evening party in when the Dowager Empress was out of town.
Once word got back to DE, she put a stop to it.  The Palace was never involved.

Maria Pavlovna had the Vladimir Palace and Maria Feodorovna had the Anichkov Palace to entertain in and did often;  they didn't need the Maryinski Palace.

Larry

Offline Valmont

• Graf
  • I love History  !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2007, 09:47:44 AM »
you are absolutely right.....
my apologies..
Arturo Vega-Llausás

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2007, 01:31:58 PM »
Hi Valmont,

No need to apologize;  I often get names and places mixed up.
And often, when coming across names in these royalty threads, I have to stop and figure out just which Mary, Victoria, Nicholas and Alexander we're talking about.

Best regards,
Larry