Author Topic: Princess Bepa Ignat'evna of Gedroyts  (Read 7663 times)

Offline ordino

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Princess Bepa Ignat'evna of Gedroyts
« on: March 12, 2007, 03:41:38 PM »
The first russian woman surgeon, from the family of Prince Ignatius ignat'evich Gedroytsa, Bepa  ,in the russians sites her name is V. (Vera) I. (ignat'evna) Gedroyts, was a revolutionary woman in imperials times, an splendid surgeon in wards times, a poet, and author (she writed with a Spudonimum; the name of his dead brother, Sergey) and she was the tutor at hospital in Alexander Palace of Alexandra, Olga and Tatiana. Her life was full of goods actions. Is there at the forum a topic (not this) for her?. She was from Lituania
Thanks. Ordino

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
Re: Princess Bepa Ignat'evna of Gedroyts
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2007, 05:04:14 PM »
Ordino, I am so glad you have brought up the subject of Princess Gedroyts.

I think she has been mentioned before, but unless I've forgotten or missed something here on the AP, yours is the first post with solid information about the princess.

This is the first time I've seen the name "Bepa"; as you noted, many refer to her as Vera. Do you have any more information about Princess Gedroyts? I would be most interested.

Again, many thanks for your post!

Offline ordino

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2007, 06:39:25 AM »
Hello Janet;

of course I have more information about V. I. Gedroyts, there is a Russian site with information about her, I will try to post here the link to it and with the altavista site for translation you can read all the infomation in the language  that do you prefer. And please, it will be very nice to speak about this interesting woman, her life was so interesting!
Well here is the link
[ftp][http://kfinkelshteyn.narod.ru/Evpatoria/Evp2.htm/ftp]

I'll try again if not goes.
Thanks. Ordino
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 06:41:49 AM by ordino »

Offline ordino

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 09:03:59 AM »
http://kfinkelshteyn.narod.ru/Evpatoria/Evp2.htm
I hope this time it will be ok
thanks
Ordino

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2007, 11:14:53 AM »
This is the first time I've seen the name "Bepa"; as you noted, many refer to her as Vera. Do you have any more information about Princess Gedroyts? I would be most interested.

"Bepa" is Vera in cyrillic.  ;)

I know Anna Vyrubova did not think well of Princess Gedroyts, but I think it was mostly due to personal distaste between the two. I have a hunch that Princess Gedroyts had little patience for Anna.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 11:16:41 AM by Sarushka »
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2007, 01:13:38 PM »
Thanks, Sarushka . . . I didn't know that!

And yes, I do remember--perhaps from Anna Vrubova's memoirs--that she did not get along with Princess Gedroyts. Although I can appreciate Vrubova for certain things, I would agree that a practical and "scientific woman" (to use a phrase from The King and I!) would have little use for an emotional and self-indulgent personality.

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2007, 01:19:46 PM »
Ordino, unfortunately the text is coming through as all question marks--some translation, huh!  :-\--but the photos are fine!

Offline ordino

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2007, 03:12:10 PM »
Janet use the translation site of altavista,  and read the story of V.I Gedroyts, there are several pages with her byography, find them. The name "Bepa" (russian) is for
http://babelfish.altavista.com/
 for us Vera in translation in English means Faith and is a very traditional name in Russian culture.
Do you know that she was deported becouse she was a revolutionary, this took place before 1905 when she come back to Russia because of the Japanesse Ward and also her parents were very upset for the dead of Sergey, the brother of Vera. Years later, she used the name of her dead brother in her publications.
And I agree with you Janet, of course Gedroyts was scientific woman and maybe with  few patient, I m sorry for Anna Vyrubova's  but it's sure that V.I. Gedroyts had a strong temper.
Thanks. Ordino

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2007, 12:38:27 AM »
Ordino, thank you!

It took me a bit of time to figure it out, but finally I was successful. The translation, of course, is not perfect!  ;)  But I can understand much of it, and I am very grateful to you. I've printed copies of many of the documents and will read them as soon as possible. Perhaps, in time, I could ask you questions about what I've read?

By the way, although I'm sure many posters are already aware of this, deep into the website you can find some of Nurse Valentina's* diary entries.

* The woman who worked in the hospital alongside the Tsarina, Olga and Tatiana.

Offline ordino

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2007, 07:47:47 AM »
Thank you very much to you Janet, I'll look for the information about sister Valentina. Of course it will be really nice to talk about V.I. Gedroyts, she was, I think, a woman with an important roll in the russian history, don't forget, for instance, that she was the first surgeon woman in Russia.
so Janet (and everybody of course), it will be great to talk about V.I. Gedroyts, she deserved it
Thanks

Ordino

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2007, 08:31:58 AM »
From Vyrubova's memoirs, recalling her injury in a train wreck on 2 January 1915:

"In about two hours another doctor, this time the surgeon Gedroiz, under whom the Empress, her daughters, and myself had taken our nurses' training, approached the corner where I lay. I looked with a kind of terror into the face of this woman, for I knew her to be no friend of mine. Simply giving my wounded head a superficial examination she said carelessly that I was a hopeless case, and left me without the slightest attempt to soothe my pain."
[....]
"The Empress who, with my parents, remained near me, asked me if I would like to see the Emperor. Of course I replied that I would, and when he came I pressed the hand he gave me. Dr. Gedroiz, who was in charge of the ward, told everyone coldly to take leave of me as I could not possibly live until morning."

This is all speculation, but IMO Vyrubova was not a serious nurse to begin with. I'm suspicious that Vyrubova joined the Red Cross for show and/or to please the empress, and Gedroyts did not appreciate Vyrubova's lack of dedication. As for Gedoryts' bedside manner, she was swamped with victims of the train wreck and likely had to give priority to those most likely to survive. By all accounts, Vyrubova's injuries were devastating. I also wonder if Gedroyts resented the fact that three trained nurses (Alexandra, Olga, & Tatiana) were sitting idly by what seemed to be a hopeless case, while Gedroyts was scrambling to help a literal trainload of other patients.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline ordino

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2007, 11:23:53 AM »
Sarushka I agree with you, I don't know a lot about the labour of Gedroyts, but the information about her is full of goods actions. The link is in the message to Janet up to this. You see , maybe Gedroyts knew that Viruvova's was not serious injured, it's difficult to believe that a doctor in medicine do not pay attention to a patient, and Viruvoba was alive after the accidente and she lived several years after, so V.I. Gedroyts was o.k in her indication.
Thanks
Ordino

Offline matushka

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2007, 01:55:47 PM »
I have a big article about her, in fact some articles I read in the russian book "Skorbny angel". When I will have more time, I will share it with you. I think the animosity of Vyroubova is also a question of personnality: there are totally different women, those types of women who can not in any case stay together and understand each other...

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2007, 02:18:07 PM »
I agree with both of you. Here's my own two kopeks worth: From what I've read, Vryubova could be exasperating, and Gedroyts could be brusque. Obviously they were NOT fated to be good friends!  ;)

Offline ordino

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 04:37:29 PM »
Janet, I agree with your words at all and Matushka it will be great that you sare with us those articles about V.I. Gedroyts
Thanks.
Ordino