Author Topic: Grand Dukes at Tsarskoe - but where exactly?  (Read 12417 times)

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
Grand Dukes at Tsarskoe - but where exactly?
« on: March 25, 2007, 05:08:08 AM »
Grand Dukes Nicholas Alexandrovich (the heir), Sergey Alexandrovich and Pavel Alexandrovich at Tsarskoe Selo, late 1880s, by Nikolay Dmitriev-Orenburgsky:

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Dukes at Tsarskoe - but where exactly?
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 06:29:52 AM »
Mike,
This looks more like Krasnoye Selo during the summer maneuvers to me. The typical Russian dacha style is typical of the camp.  I can't say exactly whose dacha it is, but it probably was one of the Romanovs (maybe the one used by PauL or Serge?).
BobG

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 09:21:20 AM »
Bob, I've waited for somebody to say that. 8) However it may be some wooden house around the Life Hussars barracks in Sofia - which would fit GD Pavel's uniform.

I have another doubt about this painting: is the guy in a white tunic actually Nicholas? I can see no aiguillettes, and there's something suspiciously resembling a white napkin around his left hand... It would also be somewhat uncourtly for a painter to place HIH the Heir at the back of the picture.

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 02:06:16 PM »
Mike,
Is it possible that the guy in white is a aide or servant?  I don't recognize the white uniform, but I'm no expert.  Does it seem likely to you that Serge and Pavel would both be at the barracks at Tsarskoye?  If so, I would have expected more of the regiment to be present.  I would still vote for Krasnoye --where they would be more likely to have private dachas for their personal use. The style of the building seems very much like the photos I've seen of it.  I'm not as clear about what Sofia might have looked like, but most of the barracks seemed larger and more permanent.
BobG

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 02:36:47 PM »
It seems also to me more like Krasnoe, but I'm not sure that Tsarskoe should be considered out of question. There were a lot of cottages there exactly in this "Russian country" style. Serge might well pay Pavel a visit at Tsarskoe. The white uniform is a generic summer one, quite similar for various units and ranks. If the guy is Nicholas, it's hard to explain his two uncles apparently ignoring his presence.   

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 06:42:13 PM »
It may possibly be one of the miniature farm huts built on the island in the Ekaterina Park for GD Maria Alexandrovna c1861. The single storey, style of the log siding and latticework of the railing is similar to photographs. After her marriage in 1874, the younger sons Sergei and Pavel may have used this as a summer pavilion as it was close to their Zubov apartments. It would have been an out-of-sight place for the teenage Nicholas to meet with his younger uncles as it was away from the eyes of his father Alexander III in the AP. 
Joanna

Offline Daniel Briere

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 09:30:12 PM »
I have seen the original painting exhibited in the USA (ę At Home with the Last Tsar and his Family Ľ exhibition). I was amazed by it as I had never seen it before and thought the grand-dukes looked very good. And no, in the middle itís not a servant: it is Tsesarevich Nicholas, without a napkin (itís his sleeve). He isnít wearing aiguillettes but Serge isnít either. I think the painter deliberately wanted to show them in a relaxed attitude, not as demi-gods, but as ordinary officers and mere mortals. As the Heir isnít in the forefront, my hypothesis is that it was done on commission from one of the uncles, probably Serge while he was C.O. of the Preobrazhensky Regiment, and not meant to be shown to the public as Court portraits. If commissioned by Serge, it would explain why the painting entered the State Historical Museum collection in Moscow at an ę early Ľ date (after Sergeís death maybe?). I also think that they havenít actually posed for it (maybe it was done after a photograph). 

I remember being puzzled by its title mentioning Tsarskoe Selo and thought it looked rather like Krasnoe Selo, especially as the catalogue mentions the grand dukes being on the terrace of the Preobrazhensky Regimentís dachaÖ :

ę 131. Portrait of the Grand Duke having Tea at Tsarskoe Selo. Russia, late 1880ís. Nikolai D. Dmitriev-Orenburgski (1838-1898?), Oil on canvas, 21 x 85 cm; GIM 95048 11-5486. An early acquisition of the State Historical Museum, opened in 1883. Seen in the portrait are Grand Dukes Sergei Alexandrovich, Nicholas Alexandrovich (the future Nicholas II), and Paul Alexandrovich on the terrace of the Preobrazhensky Regimentís dacha (country house) at Tsarskoe Selo. Ľ

Unfortunately I donít recall if there was a Russian title on the frame or not. Mike you might want to contact the State Historical Museum to check what they know about it.

If that dacha really was in Tsarskoe Selo, Joanna might be right. I canít tell as I have never seen photos of the Maria Alexandrovnaís farm hut. But it could as well be Krasnoe Selo. Regimental dachas were built in the same log cabin architectural style, in an area with identical vegetation (birch grove and bushes). If really related to the Preobrazhensky Regiment, it would be the dacha of the C.O. rather than the regimental officerís club. Serge was appointed C.O. in 1887, the same year Nicholas began his military service in the same regiment.

You'll find a large size image of the painting here: http://www.belygorod.ru/img2/RusskieKartinki/Used/0DmitrievOrenburg_VelKnSergAlex_CesarevNikAlex_PavelAlexVCarskomSele_kon1880hGIM.jpg

« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 09:42:37 PM by Daniel Briere »
Daniel Briere

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 02:29:55 AM »
On a larger image, it's clear that the officer in white is indeed GD Nicholas.

As to which "Selo" is it - Tsarskoe or Krasnoe - I've found an evidence that all regimental dachas at Krasnoe were painted official regimental colors: Preobrazhensky red, Semyonovsky blue, Izmailovsky white, etc.

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 07:00:34 AM »
In that case it must be an Ismailovsky regiment dacha at Krasnoe Selo.

Marie Alexandrovna's farm on the island in the Catherine Park was not painted.   According to any images I've seen, it was constructed of unpainted logs.

tsaria

Offline hikaru

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 08:56:12 AM »
Maybe, it is so called "baraque of the GD Sergey in Krasnoe Selo"?

Offline Nemos

• Knyaz
  • У Жака простака спина широка
    • View Profile
    • Царское Село
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
А может это Шале. ???
And this Chalet can.

http://pushkin-history.info/fotoalbom/8535.html
At Jacque of the gawk...
book-old.ru