Author Topic: Edmund Tudor  (Read 10475 times)

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Edmund Tudor
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2007, 04:45:40 AM »
On Mary Tudor's death (Henry VIII) Sister

This is from Cloth of Gold and Cloth of Frieze I quote:

" She was also in failing health.  She had suffered through the sweating sickness in 1518 and never completely recovered.  She may also have been exhibiting the first signs of the disease which eventually killed her; most historians believe it was cancer.  She was present at several court functions over the next few years (a summer 1526 party for European ambassadors, for example) but came to court with less and less frequency. "

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2007, 06:20:05 PM »
Thanks Mari!  :D I wonder if Anne Boleyn showed any sadness for her . . . she was the king's sister even though Mary didn't like anne.

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 12:49:46 AM »
Faith White Rose (love your name) I haven't found anything yet but I would think Anne Boleyn would fake sorrow anyway. Let you know if I come across while I am reading. I am still looking at old Discussions on the board which are interesting to me. The Mary Rose image posted elsewhere is
a knock out. Explains a lot.... ::) I did come across something that said the Tudor weakness was Tuberculosis. I wonder if "the sweating sickness" was flu or something like Tuberculosis"
mari

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2007, 02:25:01 AM »
Mary Rose was "Pro" Katherine of Aragon, so I doubt very much that Anee shed many tears over her death. Mary rarely came to court, I think she saw Anne as a bit of a parvenu.
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline bell_the_cat

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I am he, who will bell the cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2007, 05:53:38 PM »

My guess is that Mary was hoping that her son would end up being king, so obviously she would have been pro Katherine. She was very ill all this time, and totally out of it by all accounts....
Never put off until tomorrow what you can put off until the day after tomorrow. (Mark Twain)

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2007, 06:53:32 PM »
Faith White Rose (love your name) I haven't found anything yet but I would think Anne Boleyn would fake sorrow anyway. Let you know if I come across while I am reading. I am still looking at old Discussions on the board which are interesting to me. The Mary Rose image posted elsewhere is
a knock out. Explains a lot.... ::) I did come across something that said the Tudor weakness was Tuberculosis. I wonder if "the sweating sickness" was flu or something like Tuberculosis"
mari

I know Kimberly posted it on the arthur tudor thread, that the flu/sickness that Arthur caught could have been a genetic disease passed on to edward VI. I've never bothered looking into this topic, but what do historians/doctors know about the sweating sickness?

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2007, 01:42:23 PM »
Ok---I hope I'm not changing the topic 'bout Mary Rose too quickly, but about Edmund Tudor, what do you think Margaret Beaufort thought of him? Do you think she liked him or so? She was only twelve when she got married to him, but then it was common . . .  ???

Offline lexi4

• Velikye Knyaz
  • don't take yourself too seriously
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2007, 02:37:25 PM »
Mary Rose was "Pro" Katherine of Aragon, so I doubt very much that Anee shed many tears over her death. Mary rarely came to court, I think she saw Anne as a bit of a parvenu.

Mary was not at all happy with her brother's marriage to Anne. So you are correct Kim, Anne probably didn't shed a tear. I remember reading something about this , but I am at work right now and not near my books. I'll check when I get home.
Lexi
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in a pretty and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, "Wow ---- What a ride!!!"

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2007, 05:49:37 AM »
I found this    Margaret was still almost a child-certainly no more than fourteen-when she was married to the hero of her very youthful dreams, and became Countess of Richmond in 1454 or 1455.

It must have been a tremendous adventure to the primly brought-up little girl, to ride away with her gallant young bridegroom through the wild Welsh country to her new and unknown home, but her happiness -- if such it was -- ended soon in sorrow. In the summer of 1456, Edmund, with all the ardour of his race, was 'greatly at war' with a fellow country man in Wales, but in the autumn, in the full strength of his manhood, he was struck down by the plague, and in November 'on the morrow of All Souls' he died, at the age of 25. [1]

It does say about  Jasper Tudor, Earl of Pembroke, whom she loved, she said, as a brother by birth,

Many years later she wrote him a letter on his birthday, in which she alluded to 'thys day of Seynt Annes (Agnes) that y dyd bryng ynto thys world my good and gracyous prynce, kynge and only beloved son' and prayed that he might receive 'as herty blessyngs as y can axe of God '.

from" Lady Margaret A Memoir" by E.M.G. Routh, London, Oxford Univ. Press, 1924

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2007, 02:59:47 PM »
so she (Margaret) really did love Edmund, it seems . . . i have to say, even though i don't exactly like how she treated Elizabeth, her daughter-in-law, at the end, i really pity Margaret . . . I mean, pregnant at 12? With her husband dead? It's almost admirable.
Plus, thanks again Mari  :D the question was nagging me for a pretty long time.

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 06:47:37 AM »
it must have been quite an interesting match and i'm thinking it's not hard to fall in love with a dashing knight at the beginning of puberty (was edmund dashing? there's no painting of him left is it? but i'm thinking catherine of valois was a renowned beauty and i'm thinking owen tudor must have been quite handsome himself to win the heart of a princess... so... odds are edmund didn't look too bad himself  ::))
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2007, 01:03:38 PM »
lol.  :D
i think you're right ilyala! Not only that, in the present it's hard to fall in love with someone when you have such a huge age gap, but then I reckon it was sort of normal since it was typical for girls to get married young to someone wayy older than them.

Offline ilyala

• Velikye Knyaz
  • il y a
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2007, 07:29:26 AM »
he was 13 years older than her. had she been a tiny bit older i don't think that would have been such a difference.

think of poor catherine parr, she married a man thrice her age. and so on...
'loving might be a mistake, but it's worth making'
ilya

Offline FaithWhiteRose

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2007, 03:50:05 PM »
he was 13 years older than her. had she been a tiny bit older i don't think that would have been such a difference.

think of poor catherine parr, she married a man thrice her age. and so on...

true, since Mary Rose and Charles were 15 (? i never liked doing math) years or so apart. but since Margaret was only twelve i also wondered how it was for her . . . i think i know this really elderly lady who was married at 13 to a man 24 or so. Their marriage also turned out to be happy.