Author Topic: Imperial Romanovs or Royal Windsors.Which is grander?  (Read 14752 times)

Offline Noelle Royale

• View Profile
Imperial Romanovs or Royal Windsors.Which is grander?
« on: April 26, 2007, 07:20:04 PM »
The British Royal Family live in perpetual staid opulent luxury.Buckingham Palace,Windsor Castle,Balmoral Castle and Sandringham House are know to be the epitome of Monarchichal decadence and affluent living.But had the Russian Monarchy not fallen,which would be far grander?Would we be so intuned with the lifestyles of the British Royals  had the Tsars not fallen?Would there be envy or competition.And which Monarchy would throw the best weddings?,which the British Royal Family has proven they excell at.And which one would be wealthier?

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Imperial Romanovs or Royal Windsors.Which is grander?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2007, 03:44:45 AM »
To describe all of the Queen of England's residences as "opulent" is a bit wide of the mark.  Balmoral, for instance, is not opulent or luxurious by modern standards at all.

Generally speaking, one would have to describe the Russian palaces as considerably more grandiose than the English ones.  The lives of the royals living within them was not always necessarily so - for example Nicholas and Alexandra lived quite simply but living in perceived grandeur while their subjects went without was one reason the Russian dynasty fell.

The British monarchy soldiers on while the Romanovs were swept away 90 years ago.  What more is there to say?

Offline scarlett_riviera

• Boyar
  • Spear Britney!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2007, 08:38:15 AM »
I must admit that I don't know much about the British monarchy... so I'll go with the Imperial romanovs on this one. Their palaces were always so grand, their ball costumes were very, very beautiful and their jewels were jawdropping. Also I find the grand dukes' lives more exciting and dramatic than, say, a royal prince's. I suppose I just find the British monarchy a bit boring, which is why I don't bother to learn more about them. And when Diana died, she took away a lot of the Vogue-like glamour with her.
But then over the years, the Romanov era has begun to appear like a grand myth instead of a real slice of history. I suppose that's why they're more interesting to me.

P.S.
And I think the Romanovs will throw the best weddings!!! I would love to see how their wedding dresses would have looked like...

In memory of Grand Duke Dimitri! The man had style.

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 11:06:44 AM »
To describe all of the Queen of England's residences as "opulent" is a bit wide of the mark.  Balmoral, for instance, is not opulent or luxurious by modern standards at all.

You must mean by the standards of a Royal Palace/Castle. It is definitely opulent and luxurious by ordinary standards.

The British monarchy soldiers on while the Romanovs were swept away 90 years ago.  What more is there to say?

That's right!
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 01:41:17 PM »
The Romanovs were certainly grander, no question. They were one of the grandest Royal/ Imperial families that had this thing about them that then and now that inspires people to say that, and that might well inspire our interest today. I don't think they had as much tradition and history behind them as the Windsors did, but they had more wealth and glamor. Those things often interest people more than tradition and history. Queen Victoria tried to make the Royal family be more ordinary in terms of family virtues and such, while the Romanovs never tried this, they always seemed remote and far away and glamorous, except perhaps in the case of the last Tsar, but even there it is debatable. There were certainly family virtues and image there- but how visible was it to the public?

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 01:47:03 PM »
I don't think they had as much tradition and history behind them as the Windsors did

As the Windsors DO, you mean.  :)
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2007, 02:14:58 PM »
Right! I guess when you are writing about one past Royal/ Imperial Family you are using the past tense with all of them, even when one currently exists.

Offline gogm

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Grand Ladies
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2007, 08:04:27 PM »
There's no question the Romanov's were showier by far. Quuens Alexandra and Mary put ona great show, but the 19th century UK queens were quite subdued compared to their Russian counterparts. The Grand Duchesses were more lavish than English monarchs. :o

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 10:39:14 AM »
on a comparative in real timeframe, Nickolas II was the richest man in the world in 1900. The romanov ability to be far more opulent and grand was certainly affordable and able to be done. Whether they actually lived as high as they could have is not the quesiton the peasants asked, rather 'why isn't he sharing?'  ;)
HerrKaiser

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 02:06:55 PM »
There's no question the Romanov's were showier by far. Quuens Alexandra and Mary put ona great show, but the 19th century UK queens were quite subdued compared to their Russian counterparts. The Grand Duchesses were more lavish than English monarchs. :o

Really, the Grand Duchesses (Olga, Anastasia, etc.) were more lavish than English monarchs???

Offline Taren

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • The Chick Manifesto
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2007, 02:29:51 PM »

Really, the Grand Duchesses (Olga, Anastasia, etc.) were more lavish than English monarchs???

Probably some like Maria Pavlovna Sr. -not young ones that didn't have the time to be so opulant.

Offline Duke of New Jersey

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2007, 08:01:39 PM »
Well the Romanovs were certainly grander; ever since the English Restoration the British monarch has been somewhat responsibe to Parliament and the Romanovs had no such ties on their spending.  If the British monarchs tried to build SO MANY lavish palaces as the Romanovs did, Parliament would have cut the money. 

-Duke of NJ

Offline gogm

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Grand Ladies
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2007, 08:20:43 PM »

Take a look at paintings or photos posted on this board!

Well the Romanovs were certainly grander; ever since the English Restoration the British monarch has been somewhat responsibe to Parliament and the Romanovs had no such ties on their spending.  If the British monarchs tried to build SO MANY lavish palaces as the Romanovs did, Parliament would have cut the money. 

-Duke of NJ

That probably explains the difference.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2007, 10:14:44 PM »

Take a look at paintings or photos posted on this board!
-Duke of NJ

The paintings or photos on this board prove that the daughters of Nicholas and Alexandra were more lavish than English monarchs?   ???

Offline gogm

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Grand Ladies
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2007, 10:47:29 PM »
OTMA never reached the age to really dress up. But look at the Grand Duchesses in the 1700s through 1917. These two may suffice.

I'm surprised we're having such an acrimonious debate!