Author Topic: Elizabeth (with Blanchett) Part II--The Golden Age  (Read 27031 times)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Elizabeth (with Blanchett) Part II--The Golden Age
« on: May 12, 2007, 03:04:49 PM »
Does anyone know if it's still supposed to come out?

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth (with Blanchett) Part II--The Golden Age
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 03:13:32 PM »
Oh yes it's coming out soon.

His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 03:15:35 PM »
Oh yes it's coming out soon.

Thanks. Is there any info about it somewhere?

I hope it's better than Part I...

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 03:19:51 PM »
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0414055/ Here is the imdb page for it.

It is called The Golden Age.

I loved the first one Elizabeth! I think Cate Blanchett is the best ever at portraying Elizabeth, well the best I've seen.
His Royal Highness Prince Albert Victor Christian Edward of Wales, Duke of Clarence and Avondale, Earl of Athlone, Knight of The Most Noble Order of the Garter, Knight of The Most Illustrious Order of St Patrick

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 03:29:39 PM »
I loved the first one Elizabeth! I think Cate Blanchett is the best ever at portraying Elizabeth, well the best I've seen.

Thanks again. Cate Blachett was good (not as good as Glenda Jackson, who was the best ever  ;)), unfortunately the script was horrible... But I still want to see Part II.

Offline basilforever

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 03:33:03 PM »
I haven't seen Glenda Jackson's portrayal so I can't judge it.

I haven't seen it for a couple of years, but to me the script of Elizabeth was not horrible at all, but I am not an all-knowing about the Tudors expert. I think I was transfixed by Blanchett's performance, in any case.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 03:39:24 PM »
IMO, Blanchett is one of the more "believable" Elizabeths, but they really did a number on the story in that film... Sometimes I wish I knew much less about the background, I think I would be able to enjoy these movies much more!

I guess there is still not too much info about this new sequel yet. I wonder if it will really come out in October like it says...  It sounds like it will be mostly about Elizabeth's relationship with Walter Raleigh, which is a change, because usually they concentrate on her "romance" with Essex, when she was older. But I am not sure if she had that much of a relationship with Raleigh. Granted, there was some, but enough to base an entire movie? I hope they don't take too many liberties, but judging by part I, I have a feeling that's too much to ask for...  Besides, if the writers/producers are the same as part I, which means they are the same as The Tudors  :P, then we shouldn't expect much...

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 03:45:17 PM »
I haven't seen Glenda Jackson's portrayal so I can't judge it.

I haven't seen it for a couple of years, but to me the script of Elizabeth was not horrible at all,

They got almost everything wrong in this film.  >:( >:(

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 03:53:26 PM »
But I am not sure if she had that much of a relationship with Raleigh. Granted, there was some, but enough to base an entire movie?

The film with Bette Davis from the 1950s was about Raleigh, so it shouldn't be a problem. Moreover, it will apparently be not only about this relationship as Mary Queen of Scots, played by Samantha Morton, will make an appearance too.

But I am not sure if she had that much of a relationship with Raleigh. Granted, there was some, but enough to base an entire movie? I hope they don't take too many liberties, but judging by part I, I have a feeling that's too much to ask for...  Besides, if the writers/producers are the same as part I, which means they are the same as The Tudors  :P, then we shouldn't expect much...

I'm expecting the worst . . . .  But judging from the stills Cate Blanchett looks great again.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 04:06:37 PM »
The film with Bette Davis from the 1950s was about Raleigh, so it shouldn't be a problem. Moreover, it will apparently be not only about this relationship as Mary Queen of Scots, played by Samantha Morton, will make an appearance too.

I never saw the Davis version, so that's good to hear... I wonder if they will have Elizabeth meet MQoS in person in this one  ::).

I'm expecting the worst . . . .  But judging from the stills Cate Blanchett looks great again.

I suspect it's best to expect the worst in this case... Cate Blanchett is one of the better looking Elizabeths (not counting Glenda Jackson of course). And she even has some resemblence (except for the blue eyes) ;).

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 04:23:06 PM »

Yes, pretty much. Not only that, but I remember that I came out of the theater extremely confused, even though I was very familiar with the story... I didn't even know who some of those characters were supposed to be because they changed the story so much! The costumes and the sets were nice, Cate Blanchett looked good and is a good actress, but that's what makes it even more infuriating... They obviously spent effort, time and money on this film, so why not get the rigth consultants, do the research and get the story right (or at least semi-right)? Oh yes, that's right, because then it may not sell as well... Since Elizabeth Part I, I have learned to expect the worst from these Hollywood types - at least when it comes to history... And have proven myself right on the money with The Tudors  :P. Well, at least it's good for a laugh or two  :-[.

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 04:47:22 PM »
I wonder if they will have Elizabeth meet MQoS in person in this one  ::).

So do I. But I'd actually be greatly surprised if they wouldn't . . . .  :P, especially as it's a sequel to Elizabeth. I hope they won't come up with something worse than just a meeting. Maybe they could have Mary assassinated by Walsingham as he's already had so much practice with her mother  ;D  ;D

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 04:52:46 PM »

Maybe they could have Mary assassinated by Walsingham as he's already had so much practice with her mother  ;D  ;D

Buzzzziiiing!!  ;D ;D
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 04:53:21 PM »
I wonder if they will have Elizabeth meet MQoS in person in this one  ::).

So do I. But I'd actually be greatly surprised if they wouldn't . . . .  :P, especially as it's a sequel to Elizabeth. I hope they won't come up with something worse than just a meeting. Maybe they could have Mary assassinated by Walsingham as he's already had so much practice with her mother  ;D  ;D

I was thinking along the same lines, but didn't want to say it... I hope they learned their lesson from The Tudors, but I doubt it...

Offline RichC

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 09:07:23 PM »

Yes, pretty much. Not only that, but I remember that I came out of the theater extremely confused, even though I was very familiar with the story... I didn't even know who some of those characters were supposed to be because they changed the story so much! The costumes and the sets were nice, Cate Blanchett looked good and is a good actress, but that's what makes it even more infuriating... They obviously spent effort, time and money on this film, so why not get the rigth consultants, do the research and get the story right (or at least semi-right)? Oh yes, that's right, because then it may not sell as well... Since Elizabeth Part I, I have learned to expect the worst from these Hollywood types - at least when it comes to history... And have proven myself right on the money with The Tudors  :P. Well, at least it's good for a laugh or two  :-[.

Well something about this movie seems to have impressed a lot of people as it has a decent rating on the IMDb database.  It has a similar rating on Rotten Tomatoes.  I know Elizabeth was written by the same guy who wrote the Tutors, but Elizabeth was directed by an Indian national, Shekhar Kapur, while the Tutors was directed by people who mainly direct other TV shows, such as Sex and the City

It seems to me that the point of the film Elizabeth was not to instruct movie-goers in a point-by-point retelling of what happened and when.  I think the intention of the film was to explore other issues which the director found interesting.  One must note that Kapur is Indian and as his biography states, "born in British India".  So, one can say that he made a movie about the reign of the English Queen who presided over the foundation stones of the building of the British Empire.  It is significant, I think, that it was Elizabeth I who granted the first charter for the British East India Company on December 31, 1600.  It's no accident that historians pinpoint the beginning of Modern History with with the accession of Elizabeth I in 1558.

I think, also, that with Elizabeth, Kapur was attempting to make a statement about the nature of absolute power, or at least the mechanics of how it happens (if that makes sense).  When the film starts out, Protestants are being burned at Smithfield and the young Princess Elizabeth (a Protestant) lives from day-to-day, never knowing if she is about to be snuffed out or not.  She is at the complete mercy of her sister and numerous others.  By the end of the film, she is "Gloriana", married to England, and her rule is supreme.  Thus the film also explores the establishment of the cult of personality -- something anyone who lived in the 20th century knows a lot about.  Anyway, in order to do all of this, Kapur had to change some of the dates and events.  Again, his goal was not a history lesson (one could read a book for that) but a statement about power, politics, the cult of personality, loyalty and I would even go so far as to say the role of Britain in the modern age.

I have to say I'm somewhat taken aback by the Tutors thread.  I agree it's a lousy show -- Dallas for the new millenium; but I simply stopped watching it after the second episode.  On the other hand, I loved the film Elizabeth and I'm looking forward to the second part of the trilogy.