Author Topic: Elizabeth (with Blanchett) Part II--The Golden Age  (Read 26896 times)

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Elizabeth (with Blanchett) Part II--The Golden Age
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2007, 11:48:51 AM »
, how did Mary De Guise (was that who it was supposed to be?) come into the picture? Was it my imagination, or did she get asassinated in the film and Elizabeth was "sort of" implicated? Am I missing something - what was that all about?

That in a world ruled by Machiavellian politics, to survive, you have to be a Machiavellian yourself. At least this seems to be Walsingham's view in this film. Actually, they got Walsinghams's character pretty wrong too. More than a Machiavellian he was a religious zealot who would do anything to boost the Protestant cause. He was keen to protect Elizabeth, but not so much because she represented the power of the state but because she was the guarantor of a Protestant England. In Elizabeth he comes across as an unscrupulous assassin. But, as we've already noticed, historical accuracy wasn't the point.

Most actors had a fairly good likeness to their respective characters

You thought so? I don't think Geoffrey Rush, whom I greatly admire as an actor, in any way resembles Walsingham. Nor did I think Christopher Eccleston looked like the Duke of Norfolk. And, yes, Burleigh looked ridiculous. Given his advanced age in the film, I wonder what will happen to him in The Golden Age. They will have to do away with him. But then, dates will again not matter much I suppose . . .

By the way, I thought the English court looked a bit too "Italian", especially with regard to the ladies in waiting.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 11:50:53 AM by Silja »

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2007, 12:31:43 PM »
Most actors had a fairly good likeness to their respective characters (unlike in The Tudors), except perhaps William Cecil.

The actress who plays Mary I was a bit too 'portly' for the role - wasn't Mary very thin?

Liam, this was the least of their problems  ;).

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2007, 12:41:11 PM »
Most actors had a fairly good likeness to their respective characters

You thought so?

Well, I said "most" not "all", and "fairly good" not "very good". It's all relative anyway. Compared to The Tudors (and some other recent "winners"), it was fairly good  :D.

...as we've already noticed, historical accuracy wasn't the point.

Couldn't they have made the same points with more historical accuracy, otherwise what was the point of making this a film about Elizabeth? It could have just been some random 16th century fiction instead. Otherwise it ends up confusing a lot of people who know little about English history, and pissing off a lot of people who do. I guess that was my own point earlier...  8)

« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 12:56:53 PM by Helen_A »

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2007, 12:52:33 PM »
Here's a newspaper article about the forthcoming sequel.

The virgin queen and a love triangle with Sir Walter

Historians dismayed as Hollywood spices up one of history's most intriguing romances

Chris Hastings
And Beth Jones

Putting matters of state before affairs of the heart earned Elizabeth I the title of the Virgin Queen.
However, a Hollywood film is about to claim that she was so in love with Sir Walter Raleigh that she had one of her ladies-in-waiting seduce him so she could live out her own sexual fantasies.
Elizabeth The Golden Age will claim that an infatuated Queen Elizabeth, played by Cate Blanchett, longed for a physical relationship with Raleigh, played by Clive Owen, but held back for fear of losing her crown. Instead, she engineered a relationship between Raleigh and her close confidante Elizabeth "Bess" Throckmorton so she could enjoy a love affair by proxy.
The 20 million film, sequel to the 1998 hit Elizabeth I [sic!] has been criticised by historians who claim dramatic licence has got in the way of historical evidence.
But the film's writer William Nicholson, the playwright and dramatist responsible for hits, including Shadowlands and Gladiator, said the love triangle was "highly likely, sophisticated and subtle".
Mr Nicholson, who has studied the available historical evidence, said: "In our story Elizabeth is still a sexual being who is in love with Raleigh and who wants intimacy. But she knows a full-blown relationship with Raleigh would be political dynamite so she pushes her lady-in-waiting towards him. "It is a relationship by proxy. The triangle is unusual but it is one characterised by love on all sides. Elizabeth tells Raleigh: 'Love me but take your other needs to her'." Raleigh's relationship with Throckmorton is a matter of historical record.
Nicholson says it is inconceivable that the two lovers would have embarked on the affair without Elizabeth's approval because they would have known their lives would have been in danger.
Raleigh and Throckmorton secretly married in 1591 around the time she became pregnant with their first child. When Elizabeth found out about the undisclosed marriage a year later she had both Raleigh and Bess imprisoned.
Raleigh was released because the Queen needed him for duties overseas but Throckmorton remained a prisoner for six months.
The movie will claim that Elizabeth came to bitterly regret the bargain she had struck.
But critics say there is no evidence to suggest that Elizabeth even loved Raleigh, let alone engineered his relationship with his future wife.
Lady Anne Somerset, who wrote the acclaimed Elizabeth I, said: "This is not the accepted view. But it is an interesting view and not totally impossible. All the evidence suggests she actively discouraged relationships between her ladies and any members of the court. Did she love Raleigh? I think the truth is that she basked in his admiration."
Jane Dunn, who wrote the dual biography Elizabeth and Mary: Cousins, Rivals, Queens, said: "This is artistic licence. Throughout her life she was possessive of attractive young courtiers who caught her eye and she felt shocked when they showed their own emotional attachments. But being possessive isn't necessarily the same as being in love."
Anna Beer, a lecturer in English at Oxford University who has written a biography of Throckmorton, said she was sceptical of Mr Nicholson's claims. "Bess went behind the Queen's back and that is why she was imprisoned. There may be an emotional truth in these claims but there is no physical or historical evidence to support them."
Walter Raleigh was knighted in 1585. However, he fell out of favour after Elizabeth's death and was implicated in a plot against her successor James I, who had him imprisoned in the Tower of London and then executed at Whitehall in October 1618.
Elizabeth The Golden Age is out in October but will be shown at the Toronto Film Festival in September.

The Sunday Telegraph, July 8  2007.

Evidently the film will be as inaccurate historically as Elizabeth had been. But what could you expect . . . .
The Virgin Queen with Bette Davis looks the much more accurate film version. 

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2007, 03:26:21 PM »
Yep... Just as I suspected... Actually, I would have been surprised if it was anything else. Thanks, Silja.

Offline Lucien

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Courtier
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2007, 04:56:32 PM »
Je Maintiendrai

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2007, 10:38:15 AM »
sounds terrible ... why make a film about such an historical film and get it so badly wrong? I enjoyed Helen Mirren as Elizabeth I.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2007, 10:42:27 AM »
The only film about Elizabeth I that came close to getting it right was the Glenda Jackson one...

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2007, 06:39:08 PM »
Glenda Jackson was absolutely fantastic as Elizabeth I in Elizabeth R. Helen Mirren was pretty good as well.

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
Member of the Richard III Society

Offline Prince_Lieven

• Velikye Knyaz
  • To Be Useful In All That I Do
    • View Profile
    • Edward III's Descendants
« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2007, 12:51:32 PM »
The only film about Elizabeth I that came close to getting it right was the Glenda Jackson one...

A certain lovely person (who knows who she is ;D) got me the Glenda Jackson series on DVD for my birthday, I look forward to watching it!
"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?"
-Sherlock Holmes

"Men forget, but never forgive; women forgive, but never forget."

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 24, 2007, 01:24:47 PM »
<blushes profusely>. I am waiting to see what you think of Vivian Pickles portrayal of Mary Qof S in the series Liam.  Robert Hardy IS a reincarnation of Robert Dudley, I swear.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2007, 01:57:00 PM »

A certain lovely person (who knows who she is ;D) got me the Glenda Jackson series on DVD for my birthday, I look forward to watching it!

Liam, enjoy! I think you will like it. Happy b-day! And Kim, you're an angel :-)

Offline Silja

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2007, 03:59:13 PM »
<blushes profusely>. I am waiting to see what you think of Vivian Pickles portrayal of Mary Qof S in the series Liam.  Robert Hardy IS a reincarnation of Robert Dudley, I swear.

I considered Vivian Pickles maybe the only actor/actress miscast in this series. I somehow didn't much like her as Mary, maybe because of her strange voice - I think it's annoying.

Offline Kimberly

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Loyaulte me lie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2007, 12:20:59 AM »
Exactly Silja, most peculiar voice and very annoying.