Author Topic: Ipatiev house photos (interior & exterior)  (Read 90562 times)

Offline Amanda_Misha

• Boyar
  • Lost in the darkness, try to find your way home.
    • View Profile
    • George Romanov: An enigma
Re: Ipatiev house photos (interior & exterior)
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 07:53:10 PM »
Thank you for the photos.
Not, but this house seems to me to be lugubrious and sad. :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
"And now, remembering this man, I wonder how You, Russia, will wash away his innocent blood? Will you ultimately be able to redeem the death of Michael the Last?"

www.freewebs.com/georgeromanov

Offline azrael7171918

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2007, 06:37:43 AM »
 Does anyone know for sure when the writing on the wall was placed there?

Is it something the family might have seen as the entered the room or was it placed there after the murders?

The one item that really bothered me in the N&A exhibit in Delaware is that piece of wallpaper. It showed diffentate signs of bloodstains.

Azrael

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2007, 07:44:08 AM »
Does anyone know for sure when the writing on the wall was placed there?

Is it something the family might have seen as the entered the room or was it placed there after the murders?

As far as I know, it was written after the execution. The family suspected nothing.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

TheAce1918

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2007, 02:32:06 PM »
I hate to bother,

But what texts did you acquire these photos from?  If not websites.  ???

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2007, 04:31:46 PM »
You can find a great deal of them scattered online, particularly on Bernard Timbal's website, www.romanov-memorial.com.

Many are also in books such as Tsar, FOTR, End of the Romanovs, and House of Special Purpose, to name a few.
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline GDLynn

• AnastasiaNRfan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2007, 05:12:41 PM »
Closeups of basement wallpaper:

what dose it say?

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2007, 06:50:13 PM »
The one on the left says "lysv." There's been a lot of debate over what exactly those the initials mean.

I'll have to look up the exact wording of the other one -- it's a reference to a poem or bible verse, I believe.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2007, 06:55:16 PM by Sarushka »

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2007, 07:12:50 PM »
Found it!

From a poem in German by Heinrich Heine:
"Belsatzar ward in selbiger Nacht
Von seinen Knechten umgebracht."

It's a reference to a story in the Old Testament book of Daniel.

In translation:
"On the same night Belshazzar
Was killed by his own slaves."

The name "Belsazar" in the original was altered to "Belsatzar" in the Ipatiev house graffiti as a deliberate pun on the word "tzar."

Olishka~ Pincess

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2007, 05:11:23 PM »
The mystic signs 

Mysterious signs near window
     Later, near windows, Sokolov, during investigations, also found these words :

'24678 rous. of the year' year 1918' ' 148467878 r's ' 878888 ' and 'polouverchok's

as well as signs on the left

Numerous attempts were made to decipher these signs without success.

For example, in 1923, a man called Enel wrote in a book that these mysterious signs were secrets persians characters meaning:

"Here, through secret forces, the Czar has been offered in sacrifice so that his country be destroyed. All peoples are informed of this event."

It is one of the numerous interpretations of these signs.

More recently, people write me another theory about the meaning of this signs :

"If held to a mirror it spells, Lysva. Lysva is a small town near Perm, where Count Beckendorf, Marshall of the Court and the head of Nicholas court function's country estate was located."

But reality is maybe more simple as Nicolas Ross explains in his book about the Romanov drama : According to him, after bolshevicks departure, when Ipatiev house hosted white army, someone could have entered cellar room, used the wall to make calculations in roubles (.rou of the previous words) and had tried his pen before writing.

Drawing of the execution scene
with mystic signs on wall
(unknown origin)

« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 05:20:38 PM by Elizabeth~Princess »

Offline GDLynn

• AnastasiaNRfan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2007, 11:49:26 AM »
Found it!

From a poem in German by Heinrich Heine:
"Belsatzar ward in selbiger Nacht
Von seinen Knechten umgebracht."

It's a reference to a story in the Old Testament book of Daniel.

In translation:
"On the same night Belshazzar
Was killed by his own slaves."

The name "Belsazar" in the original was altered to "Belsatzar" in the Ipatiev house graffiti as a deliberate pun on the word "tzar."

Thanks!

Offline Yoyo

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2007, 09:30:13 AM »
Thanks for all the Ipatiev house pictures. As I have finally had the courage to finish reading "Fate of the Romanovs", the pictures come in most handy. I finally have a clearer view of what Ekaterinburg and the house looked like. One question I still have though: how large was the house? Does anyone have measurements of its rooms? (I think FOTR only mentions the murder room's).

B.t.w. the city looks to me more like a backwaters town than Russia's third largest city. So how many people lived in Ekaterinburg in 1918?

Yoyo
"That's no reason to go ripping people's heads off, boy"
Mr. Krabbs to Spongebob Squarepants

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2007, 05:49:48 PM »
One question I still have though: how large was the house? Does anyone have measurements of its rooms? (I think FOTR only mentions the murder room's).

Go to this page of Bernard Timbal's site:
http://www.romanov-memorial.com/Outside.htm

Then click on "Photos and maps of Ipatiev House" in the upper right. There are a number of architechtural plans of the house and property done to various scales. There are also a bunch of exterior photos I'd never seen before!

TheAce1918

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2007, 09:03:31 PM »
This may sound completely ridiculous...but if those marks were indeed 'scribbles' by someone testing a pen.  Why would they be in various shapes and spaced out between one another?  Usually, some people would scribble rather firmly, a large circle, or drag a long line across a surface to get ink to flow.   ???

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2007, 01:31:06 PM »
A couple of years ago,   we discussed these various marks on the cellar walls.  Here is one of my quotes #228 in the section called "Grabbing at Staws";

...[in part]...
On the wall in the Impatiev House were written various things, one of which was  _syl.

The blank could be a "v" or a "m"???

There is a question as to what it means.

Some think it is scribbled backwards and is a clue.

Up until Penny's thoughts  about what it might mean, which I posted above, others had thought it might be referring to Lysva where the country estate of Count Paul Benckendorff's

Evidently, Lysva is near Perm...

If the letter is a "m" then it might be spelling Lysma.... which means Flame, and, that was the name of Lenin's special unit of executioners.

Or, it could just have been someone initals....

Maybe, someone else has a better theory/ speculation.

AGRBear
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 01:37:34 PM by AGRBear »
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2007, 01:43:14 PM »

Jumping back to the "Flames", a nickname for Lenin's special unit which is explained in the following post:

Penny had posted the following:

>>When Greg and I were researching FOTR, we experienced a most amazing piece of serendipity in connection with the LYSV inscription.

We were, of course, aware of the inscription, but we thought that it went a little beyond the scope of our book and a little too far into speculative, conspiracy-theorist territory -- especially as we could find no evidence AT ALL that any Romanov was in Lysva in the high summer of 1918.

Then one day, Greg had the History Channel on the television, and on came a documentary about the Siege of Sidney Street, a failed burglary attempt in London's East End in 1910.  The crime was carried out by a group of Latvians, all of whom belonged to a revolutionary organization called "Lysma," meaning "The Flame."

Subsequent investigation turned up evidence that showed Lysma was fairly closely tied to the exiled Russian revolutionaries in London -- even attending secret meetings with prominent Bolsheviks -- and, indeed, throughout many European cities.

Long story short, Lysma was still heavily active in 1918, especially in Russia, where the Latvian revolutionaries were busily out-fiercing many of the Bolsheviks.  Lenin himself was surrounded by a Latvian Guard, they being considered more dedicated and reliable in the revolutionary cause than most Russian regiments.

It may also be remembered that Yurovsky brought several Latvians and Baltic Letts  into the house with him, and these men used the murder room as a dormitory until the night of the murder.  It seemed most likely to Greg and I that this inscription was placed there by an off-duty Latvian guard, tagging the room with the name of his own revolutionary organization.  There were several other pieces of graffiti in the room -- and indeed, throughout the house --  not only this one and the Belshazzar one. The initial investigators believed that they were merely the off-duty artwork of bored guards.

I have a pretty decent photograph of the inscription that I will forward to the FA.  Perhaps he could post it so that you peeps could take a look...<<

AGRBear
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 01:45:58 PM by AGRBear »
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152