Author Topic: Ipatiev house photos (interior & exterior)  (Read 91410 times)

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Tell me the truth, monsieur
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
Re: Ipatiev house photos (interior & exterior)
« Reply #195 on: May 25, 2011, 08:12:34 PM »
By the size I would say if it was Impatiev,  it would have to be in the public rooms area when the merchant entertained ...it looks like a ball room! The ceiling is domed...plus the windows don't seem a match ...the cross bar seems  lower ...and there is some mechanism at the ceiling  on the right hand size that appears like a dumb waiter? It generally  the furnishing appears older than Impatiev ...

"Give my love to all who remember me."

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline billmcl2

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 25, 2011, 10:19:21 PM »
However, I'm beginning to wonder if this really is the Ipatiev house. The room seems disproportionately large, with a very high ceiling. The chandelier is much larger and more elaborate than the other light fixtures in the house. The trim around the ceiling is also different -- all the other rooms I've seen have deep wood mouldings, but this room appears to have plasterwork instead. Also, all the other doorways I have photos of are arched, while this room's doorway is square.

http://www.romanov-memorial.com/Inside.htm

This site has interactive floor plans of the Ipatiev House. Moving your cursor over the numbered rooms generates photos of the interior of each room. None of them appears to match this photo.

Offline Carisbrooke

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 26, 2011, 01:58:34 AM »
   My guess would be the picture was taken in the Hotel America. Those T shaped window frames are an exact match for the ones on the front of this building. This would also explain the opulence of the room, the chandelier, high ceiling & light fittings.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #198 on: May 26, 2011, 09:57:48 AM »
My guess would be the picture was taken in the Hotel America. Those T shaped window frames are an exact match for the ones on the front of this building. This would also explain the opulence of the room, the chandelier, high ceiling & light fittings
  I think that's an excellent guess... seems to me that is not just a public room, but a public place such as a hotel ....HA would also help explain how this photo wound up with IH photos since  both places were centers of executive activities . Can anyone recognize the uniforms?( era etc. ) 

Olga Nikolaevna

Alixz

« Reply #199 on: May 26, 2011, 06:36:54 PM »
i was wondering about the uniforms myself.  If they were Red Army or White.

Offline billmcl2

• View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 28, 2011, 11:39:18 PM »
Re: #122 by tom romanov:

The documentary The Romanovs (Australian Broadcasting Company) posted at Frozentears.org has several photos and film clips of the IH before and after 1918. Starting at 15:12 of Clip Two, there are several colour shots of different parts of the house including a brief glimpse of the interior of a room that was used by an art club. I'm not sure which room this is but I think it's an upstairs room because of window view.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 29, 2011, 09:14:02 AM »
The documentary The Romanovs (Australian Broadcasting Company) posted at Frozentears.org has several photos and film clips of the IH before and after 1918. Starting at 15:12 of Clip Two, there are several colour shots of different parts of the house including a brief glimpse of the interior of a room that was used by an art club. I'm not sure which room this is but I think it's an upstairs room because of window view.

There's also a photo of the Tobolsk drawing room at 1:56, which is presented as though it's from the Ipatiev house.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline billmcl2

• View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 29, 2011, 11:13:32 PM »
There's also a photo of the Tobolsk drawing room at 1:56, which is presented as though it's from the Ipatiev house.

I didn't notice that. Thanks, Sarushka!

Offline Woody3697

• View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 08, 2014, 02:10:31 AM »
Here's a few colour photos (large) from 1975.

Offline Rodney_G.

• Knyaz
  • an angel .....and the best of them
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 08, 2014, 06:42:04 PM »
Stunning color. Scary to think that such a presently so mundane building could have been the site of eleven horrific murders, and well within the lifetime of older local residents of 1975.
Rodney G.

Offline blessOTMA

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Stay at Home Artist
« Reply #205 on: April 10, 2014, 10:17:57 AM »
These are stunning, thank you !

Olga Nikolaevna

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 11, 2014, 06:36:17 PM »
There are mentioned in earlier replies of pictures on men in uniform. I can't access all the mentioned pictures but if someone posts them. I will see if can identify them. Note a big problem during the Russian civil war is both armies wore old Russian Imperial army uniforms making identification sometimes difficult.

Offline JamesAPrattIII

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 20, 2014, 05:54:35 PM »
I have some uniform information the red Army pointed hat or Budenevka  was adopted on 16 January 1919 according to one source. I have found another that has some found with 1918 date stamps. The first source mentions it did get into wide use until the early 1920. The style tended to vary wearers of ones with really tall points were called "Rodheads". They were mainly designed for wear during colder times of the year according to one source and the pointed look was to help identify Red army soldiers from their enemies. I believe the Red army discarded it in 1940 after finding out it was not that usefull in the 1939-40 was with Finland.

How the Red army came to adopt the red star in late 1917 the Moscow garrison was ordered to wear tin or metal stars in their caps to disingush them from troops returning from the from. Some of the soldiers out of revolutionary zeal painted them red. The early red stars were worn point down until the later part of 1918 when they were worn point up. In July 1918 the army had the hammer and plough insignia on then which was soon changed to the hammer and sickle. I hope this of interest to you.

Offline bernard_timbal

• View Profile
    • Romanov Memorial
« Reply #208 on: July 27, 2014, 11:03:20 AM »
some very interesting and news photos of ipatiev house and cellar room found by chance and I'd like to share wiith you

from this page http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ImperialRussian/news/575news.html

Regards

Bernard

Offline Inok Nikolai

• Graf
  • Irkutsk, Russia 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 27, 2014, 11:41:31 AM »
some very interesting and news photos of ipatiev house and cellar room found by chance and I'd like to share wiith you

from this page http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ImperialRussian/news/575news.html

Regards

Bernard

Yes, quite amazing. And, as that link explains, these photographs are by Vitaly Shytov, and are from his new book (700+ pages) -- a very detailed history of the Ipatiev House and all its previous owners.

http://www.angelfire.com/pa/ImperialRussian/news/575news.html

Shytov was the last one to photograph the house inside and out just a few days before its destruction.

The book is in Russian and *very* expensive  ($200) -- but the photographs (1,000) and accounts are fascinating.

Only 500 copies were printed!

Here is a source in the USA:
http://www.biblio-globus.us/description.aspx?product_no=10050653

« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 11:59:35 AM by Inok Nikolai »
инок Николай