Author Topic: Anastasia Inheritance Would Have Been What?  (Read 59089 times)

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
Anastasia Inheritance Would Have Been What?
« on: October 26, 2004, 11:32:32 AM »
Since I haven't any idea what was left of Anastasia's inheritance, if she had lived  what would she have inherited that was kept out of the hands of the Bolsheviks?
OR
If Anna Anderson or another claimant had proven in court they were the children of Nicholas II and Alexandra,  what would they have gain in money, jewels, lands, stocks "in" or "outside" of Russia by the late 1920s?

Reason I'm asking is because,  last night  I watched  a program about the Royal Jewels of England's Queen Elisabeth and other royals and saw how much some of these jewels were worth.   Just one tiria was worth a mint which was enough for most of us to live nicely for the rest of our lives.  There was talk about some jewels having been Russian that had been inherited.

For those who have doubts about there being a conspiracy,  it seems just a couple of huge diamonds worth millions might have been a motive.

AGRBear
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by AGRBear »
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: Anastasia Inheritance Would Have Been What?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2004, 11:40:56 AM »
Each GD had an account in Germany with some money in it, in their own name. Not a huge fortune. I don't have The Lost Fortune of the Tsar right with me, but I remember it was a couple hundred thousand dollars each. Alix had some family property in Hesse, which was hers. Thats about IT. The only jewelry that left of any  importance belonged to MF.

The rest of the "money" outside Russia was governmental and NOT personal property of Nicholas so any claimant could not touch it. Money was never really a major motive IN FACT, though I can understand that someone outside the family might think it WAS...another reason to me that claimants were fakes.

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 11:47:38 AM »
Did Nicholas II's mother have jewels a claimant would have inherited?

AGRBear

PS  Just remembered I had just purchased the book LITTLE MOTHER OF RUSSIA by Coryne Hall.  Flipped a few pages to find the possible mention of how much the Dowager was worth at her death.  

p. 348 there is mention of the "box"....  I then remembered this box which the Dowager kept under her bed and in it were jewels.  She had refused to sell any to support herself and thought her relatives could afford to support her through her last years and there was no need to sell her jewels.  

"She worried increasngly about her jewel box.  At Amalieborg it was kept under her bed and sometimes it was brought out so that she could run her fingers through some of the magnifient pieces."  "Finally, Amdrup was given a safe with two keyes; one for himself and one for Dagmar's dresser.  The contents were frequestnly checked."  

Her reply to those begging for their share before the Dowager passed away they were told by her  [p. 348-9]:  "You will have all of it when I am gone."

Then it goes on to say that Russia had sent her a letter and two watercolours by GD Olga....

13 Oct 1928 the Dowager Empress died.

What was her worth when she died, including the watercolours and who received what and what was it's worth?

AGRBear

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2004, 11:58:42 AM »
no, because Olga and Xenia also left. As daughters, they would inherit everything from MF before a grand daughter, unless MF made a will otherwise

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2004, 12:12:40 PM »
I believed the Dowager Empress believed 'till her death that Nicholas II and GD Michael were alive.

With this in mind, would the jewels had gone to Nicholas II who would have passed them to his daughters or would they still have gone to the Dowager's daughters in any case?

AGRBear

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2004, 12:26:44 PM »
Without a will, it wouldnt matter what MF thought. The LAW decides inheritance without a will and am sure the Court would have declared N dead, as I believe was actually done. Nothing for the grandchildren without a will otherwise. period

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 12:36:44 PM »
Okay,  so,  was there a will?

AGRBear

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004, 09:54:39 PM »
Yes, there was a will. It left her remaining assets after gifts to those who looked after her to surviving daughters Xenia and Olga.

For everyone who says MF did not believe her sons were dead, please consider that she left nothing to Nicholas, nothing to Michael and nothing to their descendants. This, even though she knew Michael's son was living in France. I think this is much stronger evidence of her state of belief than anything Alexander Mikhailovich or others have written. If she really believed they were not dead, why then did she "disinherit" them?

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 12:36:21 AM »
I'm sure the lawyers wrote the will who believed Nicholas II and GD Michael  were dead.

I doubt they would have allowed otherwise.

However, her keeping the box of jewels till the end shows me that as long as she held them she could  hand them to her sons who would surely need them since so much was lost.

AGRBear

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004, 01:06:46 AM »
You do like to enjoy wishful thinking, don't you? Jewelry collections such as MF had were not easy to liquidate. You are attributing behaviors to the Empress that have nothing whatsoever to do with her situation. Her jewels were virtually all she had left of her former life and selling them would have been very hard for her.

There is no way she would have not left her major assets to her sons had she believed them to be alive. I'm sorry you want to overlook all of the evidence that disagrees with your conclusions, but hopefully some rationality will prevail.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2004, 07:34:09 AM »
Yes, there was a will. It left her remaining assets after gifts to those who looked after her to surviving daughters Xenia and Olga.

For everyone who says MF did not believe her sons were dead, please consider that she left nothing to Nicholas, nothing to Michael and nothing to their descendants. This, even though she knew Michael's son was living in France. I think this is much stronger evidence of her state of belief than anything Alexander Mikhailovich or others have written. If she really believed they were not dead, why then did she "disinherit" them?

It may have been the lawyers, or it may have been that she thought if they were alive they were in unknown places and could not be reached or reveal themselves in public. But every indication and report I've ever seen seems to support that she never gave up hope they were alive.

I just found this posted by Ella in another thread, it's a quote from Sandro:

'Countess Brassova arrived in London in 1919 still refusing to believe that her husband was dead. But for that matter, neither did the Dowager-Empress Marie ever trust the Soviet communique describing the burning of the bodies of the Czar and his family. She died expecting to receive, sooner or later, the news of the miraculous escape of her poor Nicky. My own wife and my sister-in-law seemed to share their mother's point of view. I respected their feeligns, but I knew the Bolsheviks sufficiently well to realize the sher impossibility of a 'happy ending'.

Sadly, I think that also applies to those who believe in a 'happy ending' for Anastasia :'(

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Annie »

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 10:45:42 AM »
AGR
You should have read that thread more closely. That book was ghost written and not very accurate.
Second, and this is MORE significant than books, Lisa, Bob and I all know and have discussed this very subject with Romanov family members. The family had NO such hopes, beyond the "wistful" hope anyone might have. They had no such delusions, they KNEW the family was dead. period. See my other posting about when the trunks with the IF's clothes came to Xenia in England, finally, the family decided to BURN the lot of them so they should not become venerated holy objects. Why do that if they thought they were alive? TRUST ME, the family confirms to everyone, THEY KNEW THEY WERE DEAD.
WHY do you question the FAMILY? they know better than anyone what their parents/grandparents felt.....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by admin »

Offline Angie_H

• Knyaz
  • http://booboogbs.deviantart.com My Colored Pics!
    • View Profile
    • Eigna
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2004, 11:58:25 AM »
AGR
You should have read that thread more closely. That book was ghost written and not very accurate.
quote]
FA What book?
LITTLE MOTHER OF RUSSIA by Coryne Hall?

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2004, 12:08:41 PM »
Romanov Diary

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2004, 12:46:48 PM »
At no point have I even suggested that the majority of the Romanovs were unable to understand and accept the annoucement that Nicholas II and GD Michael were dead.

However,  if you have ever been around older people who have lost loved ones,  they often times hold on to the idea that a loved one,  whom everyone says has died,  will walk into their door and be quite alive.

That is why most religious buriels have open coffins so loved ones, young and old,  can see the person is dead.

The Dowager Empress never had that kind of closing.

Most of the time,  I'm sure,  the Dowager realized her sons were dead but deep deep inside,  without that real closing,  there lay a hope, no matter how dim,  a hope, that one of her sons would walk in the door and be alive.

Since I did not know the Dowager,  I suspect,  the "box" was more than just a box filled with jewels that would bring in money for herself and daughters.  It held for her a treasured past full of  memories of her families.

I am not being unsympathic.   I'm 62 years old.  I have lost most of my close friends to accidents, cancer and heart attacks.  So, I know what closeure means to family, relatives, friends and to people I'll never meet.

Nor do I think this thread is insensitive.  I think that most people thought back in the 1920s-30s that a child or grandchild of Nicholas II and Alexandra could have inherited a huge sum of money.   If so,  then there were always the kind of people who'd try to claim the inheritance.  Therefore,  yes,  there may have been some kind of conspiracy.   Just read your newspapers today.  There are many stories about people trying to swindle other people out of their money.  It was no different then.

AGRBear