Author Topic: on Steam train to TS  (Read 9043 times)

Offline vladm

• Boyar
    • View Profile
    • Virtual Pushkin
on Steam train to TS
« on: May 24, 2007, 06:56:18 PM »
From June 2nd, everyone who visits St Petersburg, will be able to travel to Tsarskoye Selo on Imperial type of train, with steam locomotive.
From St. Petersburg Vitebsky station train will depart at 10:30 and from Pushkin back to St. Petersburg at 17:30.

btw this true color picture from 1909 by Prokudin-Gorsky
You can't avoid our past.
Virtual Pushkin / Tsarskoye Selo

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: on Steam train to TS
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 06:02:15 PM »
How amazing.   Thank you vladm.

I ADORE steam trains, so, for me, what a combination - travelling on a steam train from St Petersburg to Tsarskoe Selo!    Its difficult to wish for anything more.

tsaria

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 07:37:52 PM »
Wow! I agree!

The only steam-powered trains I've been on have been at Disneyland  :D , so I would ADORE traveling by steam train in a more-or-less straight line to an actual destination!

We took a more prosaic means of transport--a bus--when we visited Tsarkoe Selo back in 1991. With the exception of Livadia, it was the place I most wanted to visit during our four-city tour, and I remember how excited I felt as the wooded area far ahead of us came closer into view. We visited the Catherine Palace, had lunch at a charming restaurant, then visited Pavlosk before leaving. But to travel by train, arriving midmorning, then be able to spend half the day walking about and drinking in the atmosphere . . . ah, similar to what Tsaria has said, that would be heaven.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2007, 06:40:13 PM »
This is awesome! I've ridden in a real 19th century steam train in New Hope, PA, and this looks very similar.  I did take the train a couple of times from St Pete to Pushkin and vice versa when I was there, but it was not the same... It was slow and hot and crowded and boring. A steam train is a whole different ball game. So, is this a permanent set up or only temporary?

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 07:50:36 PM »
The station is really quite a hike from both Palaces at Tsarskoe Selo. I would recommend a private driver and guide. Of course there are plenty of places you can take a steam train around the world.