Author Topic: Nicholas and Alexandra, by Robert K. Massie  (Read 33467 times)

Offline katy

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Nicholas and Alexandra, by Robert K. Massie
« on: October 27, 2004, 07:50:53 AM »
 ;D ;D :D ;D ;) :D
Hey there! im reading a new bioigraphy which is absolutely superb!
Nicholas and Alexandra-the tagic complelling story of the last tsar and his family- ROBERT.K.Maisse
guys this is definately worth reading! I am loving it- I hope u all get a copy and start reading!

happy reading!
kt ::) ;D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 05:38:20 PM by Sarushka »

Offline anna

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Nicholas and Alexandra, by Robert K. Massie
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2004, 08:20:04 AM »
Katy,

Do you mean the book R.K. Massie wrote in the sixties, that's not a new book.
Well yes its absolutely wonderful and I think for many people on this forum this book was the first introduction with the Imperial Family.... so maybe the bible of books about N&A. And of course we all have copies I suppose.
Anyway enjoy your reading :)

Anna
Watch your thoughts, they become words. Watch your words, they become actions.
Watch your actions, they become habits.
Watch your habits, they become character. Watch your character, it becomes your destiny.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2004, 02:52:47 PM »
Katy, I think you'll find most people agree with you. It stands as one of the great historical biographies. While some of the facts have been discredited after the opening of Soviet archives, the sweep of the story combined with the intimate details of the life story, makes it a 'must read' for any Romanophile.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eurohistory

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Eurohistory.com
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 11:16:56 AM »
The Massie book has reached icon status really.  More than 6 million copies have been sold worldwide and a movie was made based on the book.  It propelled Robert Massie into stardom and two generations, if not three by now, have been introduced into the mystical/magical world of the Romanovs by Mr. Masssie's opus.

Arturo Beéche
--
Arturo Beéche, Publisher
http://erhj.blogspot.com
European Royal History Journal
Kensington House Books
6300 Kensington Ave.
East Richmond Heights, CA 94805 USA
510/236-1730
books@eurohistory.com
http://www.eurohistory.com

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 11:39:17 AM »
A new book? Perhaps it just feels that way to those who happen upon it.  As many of us know, Massie began researching the last Romanovs in an attempt to understand his own family dynamic regarding hemophilia. As a writer for (if I remember correctly) Newsweek magazine, Massie used his tremendous talent for reserach and reporting to tremendous advantage in compiling an immensely readable biography. I don't think there would be nearly the interest in the last Romanovs today if Robert Massie hadn't skillfully pulled together so much information and created such an accessible book.

Offline jackie3

• Boyar
  • "...such pig and filth!" - GD Anastasia N.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 09:28:10 PM »
It is a tribute to Massie's talent and writing skill that all these years later N&A is still the book on which all other Romanov-themed books are judged by and that the book doesn't seem dated at all (though many things have come to light since then with the fall of Communism). I remember first reading a brand-new paperback version in the early 1990s and being shocked to discover it was actually written in the 1960s!

Offline Denise

• Knyaz
  • Anneliese: Historian in training
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2004, 01:05:13 PM »
I second what Helen said, Katy.  Please read Romanovs the Final Chapter as well.  It is an excellent postscript to Massie's original book.  

I love Nicholas and Alexandra as well.  It was the first historical book I had read that truly helped me to understand the 1st World War and the political dynamics involved.  It is also a great book to see the IF as people.

Denise

elisa_1872

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2004, 01:17:57 PM »
I third what Helen said :) The book is an outstanding sequel to Nicholas and Alexandra. Massie's medical knowledge too is amazing, and his style so detailed.

Enjoy N&A Katy. It was my first introduction to the Romanovs, as it was with many people, and it remains my favourite Romanov book. Massie writes with such a profound understanding, and describes the world of Imperial Russia so wonderfully, the social life, the cities, the palaces. It is fabulously researched, and contains so many quotations from letters, diaries. The chapters on Alexandra herself are a special joy - especially the one on her childhood at Darmstadt. His chapter on her as the mother of a haemophiliac son is deeply moving, and as his own son is also a haemophiliac, he wrote with a personal experience of it

Offline jackie3

• Boyar
  • "...such pig and filth!" - GD Anastasia N.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2004, 05:23:51 PM »
The chapters on Alexandra herself are a special joy - especially the one on her childhood at Darmstadt. His chapter on her as the mother of a haemophiliac son is deeply moving, and as his own son is also a haemophiliac, he wrote with a personal experience of it

Massie's take on Alexandra is especially good I think because he really understands her. Poor Alix. So many people during her life, after her murder and even to the present death continue to her write her as  neurotic, crazed, religious fanatic, in thrall to Rapsutin, etc.. I think Massie being the parent of a son who suffered from hemophilia seemed to get the demons (and the guilt)that drove her (and led to tragedy) and didn't condemn her for it.

marina

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 08:09:38 AM »
Please can you help me? I live in france and it is very hard for me to find this book even by web.I am sad because everybody says it is the greatiest book.Where can I find it?      

Offline Lisa

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Alix & Ella
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 09:19:52 AM »
Salut!
I also live in France!

Did you try (tu  peux même le trouver en français: Nicolas et Alexandra, Stock, 1969 Robert K. MASSIE)

http://www.abebooks.fr/

http://www.chapitre.com/

http://www.priceminister.com/

Bon achat!

Lisa
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Lisa »

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 09:43:24 AM »
Both Ebay [France] and Bookfinder have editions listed. It really should be fairly easy to find in bookmarkets as well.
Bon Chance!
Robert
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Elizabeth

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2004, 10:37:07 AM »
Since this is what started my, um, obsession, I would urge everyone to read this book (I'm sure I'm preaching to the choir here).  But for first-time posters, this is THE book!  Actually, Barnes & Noble (www.bn.com) ALWAYS has at least one or two recent editions on their shelves.

Question:  When I started my university studies (and the professor would ask why we were interested in Russian history),  I was always met with a frown or a curt reply from professors when I said I loved Massie's "N&A."  I finally cornered one of them (after I got my grade, of course!), and was told that Massie wasn't "considered" a scholarly writer and that the professor dismissed "N&A" as a piece of "fluff" (HIS term, not mine!).   He went on to state, "I hope by taking my class (on the Revolution) you've realized that Rasputin wasn't the one who caused the fall of Russia!"   >:(

What a jerk.  Anyone else experienced this?

marina

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2005, 08:45:26 AM »
THANK YOU  MERCI  SPASIBA!
I got it! I will begin it tomorrow.  

Offline RichC

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2005, 05:27:22 PM »

Question:  When I started my university studies (and the professor would ask why we were interested in Russian history),  I was always met with a frown or a curt reply from professors when I said I loved Massie's "N&A."  I finally cornered one of them (after I got my grade, of course!), and was told that Massie wasn't "considered" a scholarly writer and that the professor dismissed "N&A" as a piece of "fluff" (HIS term, not mine!).   He went on to state, "I hope by taking my class (on the Revolution) you've realized that Rasputin wasn't the one who caused the fall of Russia!"   >:(

What a jerk.  Anyone else experienced this?

I had the same experience when I was in college.  Some professors are just snobs -- or they don't like Massie's sympathetic treatment of Nicholas and Alexandra.  But so what?  I no longer subscribe to idea that Alexey's hemophilia brought down the monarchy, but the book is still a first rate historical biography -- very beautifully written.  I treasure my autographed copy.  Ok, I'm done gushing now...