Author Topic: Pictures of Royalty on Web Sites  (Read 10942 times)

Offline Angie_H

• Knyaz
  • http://booboogbs.deviantart.com My Colored Pics!
    • View Profile
    • Eigna
Pictures of Royalty on Web Sites
« on: October 28, 2004, 07:02:22 AM »
I wasn't sure where to post this.  
I got a weird question
Last night I was on the boards and my husband happened to glance at the computer and asked me what the site was about. I told him we discussed the IF and other royalty and how some of us posted pics and how some day I wanted to start up my own website about the IF. He said that us posting pics on sites was like people illegally downloading MP3s. It was against copyright law. Is that true? If you get a pic out of a book and post it on the boards is it illegal? I pointed out to my husband that people in the pics were dead (not trying to be morbid). And then what about people who have sites about royalty that are still living, or people who maintain fan sites for actors or musicians? I've seen sites where the pics have the Corbis or Hulton watermark on them. So is my husband right?

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Pictures of Royalty on Web Sites
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 08:44:16 AM »
Angie,
You know, I have thought about this myself. I have wondered if posting pictures that have been scanned from a book is against copyright law. I have read that, technically, even photocopying a book in a library is violating copyright law, but I don't know the details of what this entails.

One would think that posting pictures from books may be an issue, especially if there is no credit given from which book you have obtained the picture. In books it often says that reproducing the material within without the permission of the author or publisher is forbidden. However, I realize that these "reproductions" are not being done for profit, but for free educational purposes, such as if a child includes a copied picture in a school report.

So if this turns out to be a problem, rather than contacting the authors for permission to use the pictures from their books, one would perhaps have to credit them when posting material from their books (which would also help those who have never seen a particular picture know where it came from). Also, when posting a picture from a website, give credit as well or instead just give the link to the picture, which would also cut down on the problem mentioned elsewhere on the forum where some people have to wait a long time for the threads to load due to the many pictures on the board.

These are just my thoughts, and as I don't have any legal expertise, perhaps someone who does may enlighten us. Maybe the FA knows as well, since this is a valid question they may have already looked into, and it may be okay after all, since there have been no problems allowing people to post pictures until now.

Offline Arleen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2004, 01:17:04 PM »
In the books that I own there are mostly the same pictures from book to book.  If you were to give credit to the book it came from you could have a dozen names, and then what about the books that you did not know about that had the same picture?  There are thousands of books about the IF.  Just a thought.      ..Arleen

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 01:36:57 PM »
Arleen,
I agree with you. Many books have pictures that were originally obtained from either much earlier books or from sources like the Beinecke Archive. So who does one credit? It all seems like quite a complex issue.

Offline AGRBear

• Velikye Knyaz
  • The road to truth is the best one to travel.
    • View Profile
    • Romanov's  Russia
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 01:52:58 PM »
Copyright means exactly what it indicates.  Do not copy material without permission of the author or publisher.  There use to be a 25 year limit on a copyright,  however,  I think this was changed some years ago.

When in doubt,  do not copy and place where it's viewed by the public.

There are lawyers who specialize on this subject.

AGRBear
"What is true by lamplight is not always true by sunlight."

Joubert, Pensees, No. 152

Offline Jane

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2004, 01:59:57 PM »
DISCLAIMER: Copyright law is not my area of practice, and I take no reponsibility for opinions formed as a result of this post; furthermore, this post is in no way intended to constitute either legal advice nor a legal opinion on the matter discussed herein.  I am just stretching my memory back to law school (and that was a long time ago).

Having said that, there is a difference between downloading a picture regarding historical subjects over which there is arguably no proprietary interest onto a educational website and downloading, for example, music, which is the creative effort of someone, and thus subject to copyright laws.

That's all I am going to say on the matter, because I haven't researched it.   :)

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Jane »

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2004, 02:03:25 PM »
This subject also came up on music boards I visit. Online communities have become so vast and widespread there is no way to know the original source in most cases. By the time 25 people all have the same pic on their geocities or angelfire sites, and dozens more copy and save and upload, it's just too far gone. In the case of these royal pics, most of them are nearly or over a hundred so I would say unless specifically stated otherwise the photographer is long dead and his copywright, of there ever was one, is long gone. Most of the pics are just shared among friends for pleasure and information only, even education purposes, and that is helpful and harmless. It's only when someone tries to sell a pic obtained this way as an original on ebay that problems arise! That's a bad thing to do! Also, I avoid anything with a copywright logo on it, especially if it's of a person who is still alive and famous.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Annie »

Offline Guinastasia

• Boyar
  • Celestial Grand Duchess of Penguins
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2004, 02:41:19 PM »
I was told that these pictures are so old, they're pretty much "public domain".  

I think as long as one gives the source (for instance, if you got them from a book or whatever), it's okay.

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind always be at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face,
and rains fall soft upon your fields.
And until we meet again,
May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 04:09:11 PM »
Hi
Glad this question came up. IF you own an original copy of a picture, no problem at all  to post it. IF the book is more than say 50 years old, again no  problem.
NOW, technically speaking, a recent book, in copyright, it IS a violation to copy and post without first obtaining permission. However, we ARE an educational organization, and the photos are used for the educational purpose, so there "should not" be a problem, BUT there MIGHT be if the autho/owner wants to get picky about it.

The one thing you should NEVER ever do is download a pic from another website and post it here without ASKING FIRST. When you use Beineke library photos, PLEASE always give credit to the Beineke, as that is part of their terms of use.

ALSO, please NEVER direct link via img tags to someone else's website without ASKING first. We have had several complaints when this happens as it drives their bandwidth usage way up every time someone opens that page.

Hope this helps some.

Offline Angie_H

• Knyaz
  • http://booboogbs.deviantart.com My Colored Pics!
    • View Profile
    • Eigna
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 04:47:25 PM »
FA what about sites like livadia.org? Is it considered educational or more of a fan site? Because if I ever started my own site I it would be more like that one.
Thanks!
Angie

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 04:52:56 PM »
I think Livadia.org considers themselves educational. You should ask them.

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 06:19:55 PM »
ALSO, please NEVER direct link via img tags to someone else's website without ASKING first. We have had several complaints when this happens as it drives their bandwidth usage way up every time someone opens that page.

FA,
Just to make sure I understand what this means, are you saying not to post links to images on other websites? For example, a link like this: http://www.example.com/image.jpg

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2004, 06:43:04 PM »
Re: livadia.org, yes, we do consider the sites to be educational, especially since we (well, I know I do!) get emails regarding help with book reports, etc on the Imperial Family.  Not as much as Bob and Rob get I'm sure! :)

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2004, 09:18:53 PM »

FA,
Just to make sure I understand what this means, are you saying not to post links to images on other websites? For example, a link like this: http://www.example.com/image.jpg

I also am confused on linking as when I find a site that others may be interested to see I always add the link to my post never realizing that it was causing problems to the owner. How can we do this in the future as I very much want the links that others share that I would never know of?

Joanna

Offline Lanie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2004, 09:55:25 PM »
FA means using the image tag and directly putting an image onto your post from a website that isn't your own. :)  Including using those as your avatars, which I see people doing...