Author Topic: Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna, discussion and pictures Part 2  (Read 299240 times)

Offline Chris_H

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Duchess Olga Alexandrovna, discussion and pictures Part 2
« Reply #450 on: July 08, 2013, 05:41:41 PM »
it is nice to know that Maria Feodorovna did acknowledge that Nicholas did make Olga happy. Who knows why Xenia did not like Olga's Nicholas, perhaps she shared her mother's opinions or perhaps she was a little bit envious of Olga being married to a man that she loved, just opinion but who knows

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 08, 2013, 09:24:16 PM »
it is nice to know that Maria Feodorovna did acknowledge that Nicholas did make Olga happy. Who knows why Xenia did not like Olga's Nicholas, perhaps she shared her mother's opinions or perhaps she was a little bit envious of Olga being married to a man that she loved, just opinion but who knows

Ah, well, Sandro and Xenia loved each other also, but as happens so often, they grew apart. *If* Xenia expressed a negative opinion of Nikolai Kulikovsky, I'm sure it had everything to do with his (lack of) pedigree. He conducted himself impeccably toward the family (according to Olga, but I have never seen this disputed.) Precisely why Olga has always been my favourite Romanov - she displayed none of that sort of snobbery.

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 09, 2013, 03:04:53 AM »
Nikolai Kulikovsky was a Guards officer, so he cannot have come from too far down the social heap. He and Olga were a pleasant and unpretentious pair - my favourite picture of them shows Olga holding the infant Tikhon, while Nikolai stands ready with the pram!

Ann

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: July 09, 2013, 11:22:15 AM »
Nikolai Kulikovsky was a Guards officer, so he cannot have come from too far down the social heap. He and Olga were a pleasant and unpretentious pair - my favourite picture of them shows Olga holding the infant Tikhon, while Nikolai stands ready with the pram!

Ann

Olga described him as coming from a "prominent military family". She went on to say that she "cared nothing for such things." : ) But, he didn't have a "title"... well. I know the photo you mean, Ann - you're right, it is gorgeous.

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: July 09, 2013, 11:28:35 AM »
I was searching for the photo Ann cited, and I came across this one, which I'd never seen before:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/935918_206103726180316_1731263954_n.jpg

Does anyone happen to have it larger?

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: July 09, 2013, 11:31:39 AM »
And here is a (really tiny) version of the photo Ann spoke of:

http://encycl.opentopia.com/enimages/thumb/982/981069/340px-Romanovfamily.jpg

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #456 on: July 09, 2013, 02:28:24 PM »
I was searching for the photo Ann cited, and I came across this one, which I'd never seen before:

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/p480x480/935918_206103726180316_1731263954_n.jpg

Does anyone happen to have it larger?

There you go!

About the other image, here a larger version. Credits on the image

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: July 09, 2013, 10:06:01 PM »
THANK you, Carolath Habsburg, for the larger images! Now, can anyone identify the bald gentleman with the mustache who is facing Maria Feodorovna? The woman in the foreground is obviously one of Olga's fellow nursing sisters, but what about the man of whom you can only see the top half of his face, on the far right? Who's he?

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: July 10, 2013, 03:03:44 AM »
Bear in mind also that in 1917 it was quite advanced for a man to be pushing a pram!

Ann

Offline Chris_H

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: July 10, 2013, 04:57:18 AM »
Great pictures!  I really like the one with Nicholas pushing the pram and yes in 1917 it was advanced for a man to be pushing a pram, though it definitely depended on the man as well! 

Offline Jen_94

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • GrandRoyalPalace
« Reply #460 on: July 10, 2013, 02:46:06 PM »
Yeah, those are great photos. Thanks for posting them!

Offline Veronica

• Graf
  • Et Si Omnes Ego Non
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: July 10, 2013, 03:14:25 PM »
Now, can anyone identify the bald gentleman with the mustache who is facing Maria Feodorovna?

That's GD Alexander, "Sandro", Xenia's husband.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #462 on: July 10, 2013, 04:28:50 PM »

Ann

Olga described him as coming from a "prominent military family". She went on to say that she "cared nothing for such things." : ) But, he didn't have a "title"... well. I know the photo you mean, Ann - you're right, it is gorgeous.

Could there also have been some disapproval of the unconventional situation Olga and Nikolai were in for several years while she was still married to Peter?
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Chris_H

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: July 10, 2013, 06:34:19 PM »
I bet that there must of been.  I know that many of the Romanov men had mistresses and some even had children by their mistresses but I bet that was more accepted but for a married woman who was also a Grand Duchess there must of been disapproval.  Though I know that there was a considerable age difference between Olga and Peter

Offline historyfan

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: July 10, 2013, 09:36:44 PM »
Now, can anyone identify the bald gentleman with the mustache who is facing Maria Feodorovna?

That's GD Alexander, "Sandro", Xenia's husband.

Oh my goodness, I didn't recognize him without his hair!