Author Topic: Any portraits of Comtesse de Noailles?  (Read 12999 times)

Offline Lolita

• Who was once known as I_LOVE_OTMA
    • View Profile
Any portraits of Comtesse de Noailles?
« on: July 01, 2007, 10:06:14 AM »
Seriously,I haven't seen ANY portraits/paintings of her?

is there one out there?

Offline gogm

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Grand Ladies
Re: Any portraits of Comtesse de Noailles?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 01:40:25 PM »
From which period?

The name Noailles has been in use for quite some time.

Offline Lolita

• Who was once known as I_LOVE_OTMA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 09:02:21 AM »
She was one of the people in the court of Versailles,Marie Antoinette used to call her "madame etiquette"

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 12:46:08 PM »
The dowager Duchess Francoise de Noailles aka Madame Etiquette who went to the guillotine along with her daughter in law and granddaughter. It's interesting to wonder why she travelled in a different tumbril to that of her daughter in law and granddaughter? One would have thought they would have stuck together.
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 01:26:57 PM »
Madame Etiquette was not the Dowager Duchess de Noallies who was gullotined with her daughter in law (often known as the Duchesse D'Ayen) and her eldest daughter Louise vicomtesse de Noallies.THAT lady was Catherine  the daughter of the Duc de Brissac and a immense heiress.
madame Etiquette was the wife of the Comte de Noallies later Marchael Duc de Mouchy.  They were arrested with their daughter Philipine Duchesse de Duras but seperated from her and gullotined together a few days before the Dowager (whose late husband was Mouchys elder brother). Not only was Louise their great neice but there daughter in law ( being the wife of their youngers son). Phillippine survived the revolution being imprisoned with the marquise de Lafayette....sister to Louise.Madame Etiquettes 2 sons who had emigrated the Prince de poix and Vicomte de Noallies also survived. The Mouchy family are still going strong & no doubt have family portraits..

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 01:31:38 PM »
The dowager Duchess Francoise de Noailles aka Madame Etiquette who went to the guillotine along with her daughter in law and granddaughter. It's interesting to wonder why she travelled in a different tumbril to that of her daughter in law and granddaughter? One would have thought they would have stuck together.

Eddie sadly the Duchesse de Noallies a senile,deaf old lady would not in the hands of rough captors have the gumption to protest against her placement in tumbrils..the fact she was #3 in that days batch of victims & her daughter in law was #9 or 10 may have been age or even precedence related but was of no great importance in the miserable,barbaric end.

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 02:51:32 PM »
Hi ashdean, many thanks for the information! Although it's dreadfully sad I find it very interesting. The Malesherbes family was another that were guillotined together :(

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2007, 06:24:37 AM »
In Reynolds published in 1986 (ISBN 0297786865)by the Royal Academy of Arts to compliment an exhibition devoted to Sir Joshua...there is on page212 a reproduction of a mezzotint byR Purcell after a portrait by Coypel entitled Mme de Mouchy..the print belongs to the Fitzwilliam in Cambridge who may have more information. The Mouchy family (at least till recently) owned the chateaux de Beoliel near Paris....sadly some of its paintings suffered damage in WW2 but perhaps there is still a likeness of Mme Etiquette there...

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2007, 06:39:53 AM »
In  Adrienne:Marquise de la Fayette by Andre Maurois(Cape 1961) the Mouchy couple and their daughter are arrested at the chateaux de Mouchy in the Oise region on October 16th 1793 and were eventually imprisoned in the Luxembourg till the Duchesse de Duras was transferred to Chantilly.... The couple were eventually executed on the following June 27th.In prison the Duke formerly hot tempered but not a libertine like his elder brother seems to have found great serenity....In Paris in the Terror by Stanley Loomis (Cape,1965)...the Mouchys last days are also recorded and also the fact that Madame de Mouchy was found to have been arrested with charge !!! this did not bother the revolutionary council who on the same day in the same batch condemned 2 women of the same name..because they could not bother to find out which was the one who had been charged !!!

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 07:21:01 AM »
I found an image of Madame Etiquette's Husband the Duc de Mouchy but I have not found a site for their Chateau. At the time the Duchess died she would have been around 65 by my calculations. I always wonder if their Son Phillipe-Louis left France why did his Mother and other family members not go? I know the Duc de Mouchy was a Military leader and Marshal but the others did they ever try to escape?

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 04:01:55 PM »
I found an image of Madame Etiquette's Husband the Duc de Mouchy but I have not found a site for their Chateau. At the time the Duchess died she would have been around 65 by my calculations. I always wonder if their Son Phillipe-Louis left France why did his Mother and other family members not go? I know the Duc de Mouchy was a Military leader and Marshal but the others did they ever try to escape?
They stayed simply because they were to elderly to leave or wanted to safe guard their property...if a man emigrated but his wife remained they did not have their propety confiscated..

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 02:23:24 AM »
Wow, there are so many sites out there I still learn something new all the time. clicking on the link Victims of the Revolution next to ...execution took me into a  huge list of the names of  the victims of the Guillotine....and now I have something to go back to as I continue to read in that era. I just wish my translator worked better! ;D

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 04:50:06 AM »
How do I know if my computer has a translator? :)

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2007, 01:59:53 AM »
Eddieboy:
I don't know what your particular Computer would have.  One  free thing you can use is go into Google and on the bottom right hand side it will say language tools. Go into that and on the bottom portion of that page it will mention use the google interface in your language. Under that it will mention various ways to translate. I like the buttons. Go into that and drag it to the top of your Screen....French to English or whatever and then from now on when you are in a French site you can hit the Google button and it will translate the page on your screen. :)

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 02:15:48 AM »
Thank you so much Mari!!! I will certainly do that. It looks such an interesting website and will enjoy much more as my French is appaling! :)

FREE PALESTINE.