Author Topic: Royal Graves - St.George's Chapel, Royal Mausoleum, Westminster Abbey  (Read 21205 times)

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
I must admit I find the marble effigies of Edward VII and Queen Alexandra rather beautiful to one side of the main altar in St.George's Chapel at Windsor Castle. In contrast I like the simplicity of the last resting place of George VI, Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother and Princess Margaret in the George VI Memorial Chapel in St.George's Chapel. The Royal Mausoleum of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert is rather wonderful as well. The marble recumbent effigies of the Queen and her Prince by Marochetti are marvellous. The private royal graveyard behind is rather beautiful.

Offline Grace

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Can all these areas (excepting perhaps the private royal graveyard) still be accessed by visitors?  Are any off limits now to the general public due to deterioration or ongoing maintenance, either temporarily or permanently?  I'm always confused by this... ???

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
Frogmore, where V&A are entombed, is only open  for a week, I think, during the summer.  The rest  are usually open to the public, in my experience. Depending on renovations, maintenance, etc. I have been to just about every royal tomb from Portugal to Russia, but Arturo is the real royal necrophiliac.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
I'm not sure he would appreciate that term as it has other connotations!! The Royal Mausoleum at Frogmore is not open very often. The Royal website has details on opening days. http://www.royal.gov.uk ..

Offline carl fraley

• Boyar
  • Honor and Fidelity
    • View Profile
Re: Royal Graves - St.George's Chapel, Royal Mausoleum, Westminster Abbey
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2008, 08:52:26 PM »
i read somewhere that the Duchess of Kent had her own Tomb near bye frogmore and it was ALways closed.. ANyone know why?  ANyone have any pics of the private royal burial ground outside frogmore?

Offline Michael II

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2008, 02:34:29 PM »
If you google Royal Mausoleum Frogmore there is a link under Webshots which give outstanding pictures of the royal burial ground at Frogmore.
It also show great exterior shots of the Duchess of Kent's mausoleum.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2008, 03:34:54 PM »
As usual, dmitri, you shoot from the hip with no bullets in your pockets. Necro= death, philia= knowledge or friendship
 Arturo is an expert on royal graves of Europe. He has conducted tours of them and I have bought several books from him on the subject.
 As for Frogmore, I am not sure why the restriction, other than some obscure  desire of QV to have her  and her family's remain in some sacrosanct  state of memorial. The Duchess of Kent's  mausoleum was supposed to have been a summer house, if I remember correctly.
 Although V&A are open a couple of times a year, the Kent  place remains closed I think.
 However, I did wander, by accident, with friends onto the  graveyard grounds which contain the Windsors, among others.  Not really very interesting.

Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2008, 04:04:06 PM »
philia= knowledge or friendship

I thought "philia" meant love or affinity for something  ??

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2008, 04:32:36 PM »
It is Greek to me, but do they [phillia] not all mean the same thing? "affinity".  As opposed to "phobia" which relates to fear or rejection.
 Which brings us back to the subject- graveyards [mausoleums, etc.]  Some people like them, others are afraid of them for whatever reason. They do not bother me.
 What QV was thinking is anybody's guess. We discussed some time ago about the bucket of trinkets she took with her when  went a-traveling to her tomb.  Perhaps she had done the same with her mother?  We know she went beserk over Albert, so maybe she just did not want a future "Antiques Roadshow" to open them all for a grand sale of Victorian  memorabilia?

Offline isabel

• Boyar
    • View Profile
QUEEN ALEXANDRA AND QUEEN MARY GRAVES
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2008, 06:29:01 AM »
I am sure that the answer is in "The Windsors", but i canīt find it.

I want to know where Queen Alexandra and Queen Mary are buried. I am planing a trip to London and i would like to visit the graves.

Thank you very much in advance.

Offline Adagietto

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: QUEEN ALEXANDRA AND QUEEN MARY GRAVES
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2008, 06:41:50 AM »
They were both buried in St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle.

Offline isabel

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: QUEEN ALEXANDRA AND QUEEN MARY GRAVES
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2008, 07:38:58 AM »
Thank you very very much.

Is it open to visitors???

Any pics??

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Scroll down to nearly the end.  Perhaps someone can do better?

http://homepage.mac.com/crowns/gb/avgal.html
An intelligent Hell would be better than a stupid paradise.  - Victor Hugo

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile

Offline emeraldeyes

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
King George V and Queen Mary