Author Topic: Family of Ernst August of Hannover & Thyra of Denmark  (Read 176583 times)

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/
Re: Family of Ernst August of Hannover & Thyra of Denmark
« Reply #165 on: January 21, 2010, 04:14:58 AM »
Olga was a pretty lady. I wonder if she had any suitors or there was an arrangement to keep her unmarried to take care of her mother (Common tradition back in those days)

The last postcard posted by you I have in original. Won on ebay in those times when the prices weren't so crazy ; ). Olga was one of the prettiest Princesses of her day IMO.

Actually a loooong ago we had dicsussed possible reasons of Olga's unmarried state. Seems our grandduchessela posted an extract from some magazine..or newspaper..that Olga was a possible bride for a Prince zu Lippe in 1905-1908 years (if I remember correctly).

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2010, 08:35:06 AM »
Olga was a pretty lady. I wonder if she had any suitors or there was an arrangement to keep her unmarried to take care of her mother (Common tradition back in those days)

The last postcard posted by you I have in original. Won on ebay in those times when the prices weren't so crazy ; ). Olga was one of the prettiest Princesses of her day IMO.

Actually a loooong ago we had dicsussed possible reasons of Olga's unmarried state. Seems our grandduchessela posted an extract from some magazine..or newspaper..that Olga was a possible bride for a Prince zu Lippe in 1905-1908 years (if I remember correctly).

If I did, I can't remember it.  :-[ I couldn't find it in a search either so perhaps it was on one of the 'lost' threads.  :( I know that her name was frequently mentioned for most of the eligible bachelor princes of the day, though.

Ah, the good old days of ebay. Prices still aren't too bad for some of the 'lesser known' royals. I've gotten a number of Olga images, including the ones from this series (which I think was taken as either anniversary celebrations for her parents or her sister's wedding, I can't remember) as well as her sisters. It's their mother that tends to fetch the big prices!
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Carolath Habsburg

• Velikye Knyaz
  • As seen on TUMBLR!
    • View Profile
    • Victorian & edwardian roleplay in spanish!
« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2010, 08:40:30 AM »
Its a very good image. On zeitung bildarchive there s another from that session and its equally beautiful as this one. You re lucky to have the postcard!

Courtesy of Grand Duchess Ally

"...Пусть он землю бережет родную, А любовь Катюша сбережет....". Grand Duchess Ekaterina Fyodorovna to Grand Duke Georgiy Alexandrovich. 1914

Join the cause "We want an Ignore button

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2010, 09:13:24 AM »
The photo of Olga with the chair was taken in the Palais Cumberland in Vienna. I been there (now a music school) before and was allowed into the main hall where the photo was taken with its original stucco.

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 01, 2010, 10:38:20 AM »
Prince Adalbert of Prussia, son of Wilhelm II, wanted to marry Princess Olga in 1910. He visited Empress Maria Feodorovna at Hvidøre and asked her to help him. She wrote to her sister Alexandra. "What do you think? After once trying to get little Alix for their eldest son and being refused, how can they start all over again. I immediately wrote and told Thyra who naturally cannot give them any other answer. He is otherwise such a nice little person, but of course they understand nothing of why Ernst cannot enter into such a mach"
Adalbert later wrote a letter once again asking MF to help him, but nothing came of it.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #170 on: February 01, 2010, 11:40:21 AM »
So interesting, thanks Kmerov!

Does it indicate whether or not Adalbert had any feelings for her or whether he just thought 'hey, there's a pretty, available princess'? I would have to imagine the latter since the family's rarely came into any contact with each other--though Adalbert did accompany his father on at least one of his party-crashing trips to Denmark.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 01, 2010, 11:41:00 AM »
Being Prussian was a capitol sin in the Danish/Hannoverian Royal Family.

Offline kmerov

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 01, 2010, 12:48:39 PM »
So interesting, thanks Kmerov!

Does it indicate whether or not Adalbert had any feelings for her or whether he just thought 'hey, there's a pretty, available princess'? I would have to imagine the latter since the family's rarely came into any contact with each other--though Adalbert did accompany his father on at least one of his party-crashing trips to Denmark.

You are welcome.
I think the latter aswell, since Adalbert said to MF that he so wanted to make the acquaintance of Olga, and needed her help to do so. I don't think it was based on a real love, but for more practical reasons. I wonder whether Wilhelm II and Augusta pushed him in this direction, because they wanted peace between the two families.

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 01, 2010, 05:39:30 PM »
Wasn't Olga living in Germany at the time?

It is easier to be generous when one has the upper hand as WII and Dona had, but the never-ending desire to get back at the Hohenzollerns by Minnie and QA extended beyond the scope of reasonable. Their antics and pressure from their positions of power helped the propaganda machines lead to WWI.
HerrKaiser

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #174 on: February 01, 2010, 07:24:30 PM »
I think Olga and her family lived mostly in Austria, since they were exiled.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 02, 2010, 01:18:51 PM »
Yes. She & her mother lived in Gmunden throughout their last years.

Offline KarlandZita

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Mama Regina Elena
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 05, 2010, 02:43:02 PM »
Princess Marie Louise :

Four generation : Queen Marie of Hanover, Thyra of Cumberland, Princess Marie Louise of Bade and her daughter Marie Alexandra :

Reginei Mama Elena a Romaniei

Offline Mandie, the Gothic Empress

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Olga.Tatiana.Maria.Anastasia + Alexei
    • View Profile
    • Romanovs of Russia
« Reply #177 on: February 05, 2010, 04:05:29 PM »
aww, how cute. its also cute that the baby his hangling on to her grandmother's necklace.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 05, 2010, 05:13:25 PM »
Yes. A well known picture. It was taken at the small dower house in Gmunden whereas Thyra & her family lived in the big house. When Ex-Queen Marie died, the house was available again. Thyra lived there with Olga, while VL & Ernst lived in the big house. The big house is now a hospital, but the Hannoverian Royal family retained the small dower house.

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 05, 2010, 06:31:05 PM »
do you have pictures of the Gmunden homes where the Hannovers lived during exile and where Ernst Augus and VL resided?
HerrKaiser