Author Topic: Alexandra's Personality Traits - Good & Bad  (Read 270990 times)

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Alexandra's Personality Traits - Good & Bad
« Reply #240 on: May 04, 2006, 11:40:30 AM »
Well, it would have helped if Alexandra had been more out and about in society. I think in Russia, she was pressured to produce an heir, and as well, she was exposed to the religion that she took too mystical of a leaning to it. And it was a dangerous country to be a consort and isolate yourself, especially given the role of the last consort in being out and about in society. I really think that the aristocracy and court were important in Russia, as the more common people really didn't have a chance to express their support or not for the consort, execpt the revolutionaries, and ignorant gossipers who spread lies about her. Other than that, the opinion of people, say in the provinces, didn't matter as much as in England. In England, there would have been more press, objective press that is, and more people would have understood her as a result. And the common people's opinions mattered more there. Isolation might not have been allowed her, although Queen Victoria was allowed it for awhile, but then she was widow, and people were critical even of her. But the things that in Russia brought out perhaps the not so good parts of Alexandra's character would not have been present in England. Alexandra was perhaps not suited to the role of consort, but if she had to play this in any country, she may have played it quite well in England.

Offline Margarita Markovna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Call me Ritka :)
    • View Profile
    • My Yahoo Group for OTMA! Join!
« Reply #241 on: May 04, 2006, 05:02:37 PM »
I think I probably would. I'm a bit more outgoing than she is, but she seems like the kind of person who means it when they smile, and isn't a phony. I admire that a lot.

Offline Dasha

• Knyaz
  • Love of a child is the greatest gift.
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: May 04, 2006, 05:23:01 PM »
I think I would befriend Alix, because I too value loyalty and trust.  I think if one approached her correctly, she could be a very good and devoted friend.  I can definitely relate to that, so I think we would be able to understand each other.
~Dasha~

'I'm meant to fly,
Sail unrestrained'.

"Woman" from "The Pirate Queen"

Teacher-in-Training
Blockhead for Life (Stephanie J Block is simply excellence)
Lover of (Almost) All Things Jane Austen
Broadway Addict
Anglophile
History Buff

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 05, 2006, 08:17:07 AM »
No.  Alexandra would have frustrated me too much.

It's interesting that Alexandra gravitated towards those she could mother.  Her closest friends were either younger than her or very needy people, towards whom she acted as a mother or older sister.  Alexandra wasn't really a 'friend' in the way I view a friend, she was more like a carer, and I wouldn't want to be fussed over and treated like a child by my friend.

Alexandra's inability to wake up and smell the coffee would be very irritating for me.  One personality trait I cannot stand in other people is ignorance.  

I think Alexandra was a wonderfully caring and beneficient person, but I just don't think I would have been able to be friends with her without throttling her.  If I was a more docile person and willing to be controlled, then perhaps I would have enjoyed Alexandra's company, but I'm not.  And I don't think Alexandra would have liked me much either because I would have told it to her straight. I'm very blunt.  And Alexandra didn't like that at all! She only made friends with people who wouldn't talk back.  

Rachel
xx
'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: May 05, 2006, 06:37:10 PM »
It's interesting that Alexandra gravitated towards those she could mother.  Her closest friends were either younger than her or very needy people, towards whom she acted as a mother or older sister.  Alexandra wasn't really a 'friend' in the way I view a friend, she was more like a carer, and I wouldn't want to be fussed over and treated like a child by my friend.

Alexandra's inability to wake up and smell the coffee would be very irritating for me.  One personality trait I cannot stand in other people is ignorance.  

I'm not surprised that Alexandra "mothered" other people considering that she lost her own at such a young age. Perhaps looking after others sufficiently filled that void.

I too have zero tolerance for ignorance. People should be aware of things and those who aren't, ought to be.

David_Pritchard

« Reply #245 on: May 05, 2006, 06:39:21 PM »
[size=14]One would never have had the oppurtunity to befriend the Empress of all the Russias and in fact the entire concept would have been viewed as rude, presumtuous and in direct conflict with the protocol of the Imperial Court. One would have had to wait to be invited to speak with the Empress and then if she found the company pleasing, she might have invited the interesting guest back to the palace for another social encounter. After many such encounters, the Empress might have taken one into her confidence. The offering of friendship was an entirely unilateral matter.

David[/size]
[/b]

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 05, 2006, 06:43:56 PM »
[size=14]One would never have had the oppurtunity to befriend the Empress of all the Russias and in fact the entire concept would have been viewed as rude, presumtuous and in direct conflict with the protocol of the Imperial Court. One would have had to wait to be invited to speak with the Empress and then if she found the company pleasing, she might have invited the interesting guest back to the palace for another social encounter. After many such encounters, the Empress might have taken one into her confidence. The offering of friendship was an entirely unilateral matter.

David[/size]
[/b]

The technicalities of actually befriending the Empress are not in play here--this is entirely hypothetical and should be viewed as such. Evidently you missed the point of the thread.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »

David_Pritchard

« Reply #247 on: May 06, 2006, 02:43:18 PM »

David[/size]
[/b]

The technicalities of actually befriending the Empress are not in play here--this is entirely hypothetical and should be viewed as such. Evidently you missed the point of the thread.

I reviewed the first post on this subject and while the discussion is hypothetical, there was no caveat that this discussion was immune from the socio-historical norms of that time and place, please read below:

Once in a film club we all watched the famous movie with Vanessa Redgrave about the dancer Isadora Duncan; then at the end they asked, would we take Isadora as our confidant and friend-it is kinda catchy because though I adored the picture they drew about her in the movie, I also found her caracter hard. Somehow I feel the same with AF, and its an interesting question, if she'd be alive (or u'd live then )would you befriend her?  
Honestly, I think I would be more afraid from her maybe and perhaps like her from far

]If our discussions become purely hypothetical and devoid of socio-historical context and fact, then we might as well be participating in a creative fantasy discussion group rather than the Alexander Palace Time Machine: Romanov, Russian History Royalty Discussion Forum
(please note the inclusion of the words time machine and Russian history in the title).

David
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 10:10:13 AM by Alixz »

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 06, 2006, 05:49:59 PM »
The fact is that few, if any of us would have had the opportunity to be presented to her, left alone befriend her.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:22:58 AM by Alixz »

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 07, 2006, 05:37:51 AM »
Ortino was simply pointing out that this was a hypothetical thread asking, from your opinion of the Empress' personality, whether you would like to be friends with her.  

Your point really has very little relevance anyway, because this discussion is about if you WERE in a position to befriend the Empress, which would imply a social situation allowing this to happen, would you want to? Everyone is fully aware that our social standing TODAY would not have allowed us to befriend the Empress, but in discussing this topic we are transcending the boundaries of time, place and position and putting ourselves in a hypothetical mindset where if we WERE in a position to be friends with the Empress, what would we do?

Rachel
xx

« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:27:14 AM by Alixz »

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
  • Sergei Vladimirovich Markov
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 07, 2006, 05:59:43 AM »
Well said Rachel. This started as a very reasonable idea, and I'm certain that virtually everyone who viewed the thread knew the impossibility of such a situation ever arising (now or in the past), but was still intrigued enough to try and imagine it. Anyone finding it silly, childish or irrelevant has only to click off to another thread more appealing to him/herself. Humour certainly has a place on a site like this, and I have been hugely entertained in the past by the wit and repartee amongst those posting their comments. But the dividing line between humour and rudeness is easily crossed, and philosophical debate can sometimes look like pseudo-intellectual clap-trap if not carefully honed.

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 07, 2006, 06:46:55 AM »
Thank you Markov, you are quite right.

A lot of people on this site have an excellent sense of humour and I am frequently entertained by the witty discussions we have on here. 

Let us not forget that behind the screennames, there are real people.  Just because this is the internet, it doesn't mean people's feelings cannot be hurt.  

Rachel
xx
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:28:22 AM by Alixz »

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 07, 2006, 07:00:58 AM »
Thank you, Rachel. I appreciate your support.

As for my supposed ignorance, I already speak 3 languages and am attempting to teach myself Russian. As I have absolutely no resources at the moment other than books, my inability to speak/read Russian is currently not by choice. I hope that in the future you will treat other members with more respect.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2009, 10:29:18 AM by Alixz »

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 07, 2006, 08:35:00 AM »
....Humour certainly has a place on a site like this, and I have been hugely entertained in the past by the wit and repartee amongst those posting their comments. But the dividing line between humour and rudeness is easily crossed, and philosophical debate can sometimes look like pseudo-intellectual clap-trap if not carefully honed.

Sadly what one person perceives to be humorous others may interpret otherwise.  The distinctions can sometimes be blurred. On a forum such as this where we attempt to convey our thoughts into words, ideally we attempt to strike a reasonable balance. Not everyone succeeds, or is seen to succeed. When there is a perceived failure to humor others, it quite understandably raises the ire of some posters.

I am sorry that Ortino was hurt and perhaps David should be generous and consider this situation in a different light and extend his apology?
 :)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Belochka »

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Ortino

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Ortino
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 07, 2006, 09:01:04 AM »
I am sorry that Ortino was hurt and perhaps David should be generous and consider this situation in a different light and extend his apology?

I'm not hurt Belochka, merely vexed. I am no one's pet and will not be taken for one. There's no need for an apology--David has already made quite an impression on me. Now, perhaps we might return to the topic at hand?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Ortino »