Author Topic: Names, Patronymics, Nicknames and Name Days  (Read 198084 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Re: Names, Patronymics, Nicknames and Name Days
« Reply #255 on: May 13, 2009, 09:33:31 AM »
Oh, I see. I will use Shvipsik from now on : ) - but I really have no clue what "Schwibs" could mean; I'll be sure to ask my German teacher tomorrow if there's such a word.

I think "Shvipsik" is just a variation in transliteration. Anastasia herself spelled it Швыбзик in her wartime letters to Nicholas, which transliterates literally to "Shvybzik."

"Schwibs" is likewise probably a variation of the shortened version, Швыбз/Shvybz, which Olga Nikolaevna used in her letters and diaries.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Georgiy

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Slava v vyshnikh Bogu
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 13, 2009, 10:14:15 PM »
At any rate, it isn't the Russian word for imp, impish or playful or anything like that - not even Russian as far as I know. Didn't Anastasia have a dog called Shvibzig first of all? Then she started getting called that name? Maybe the dog's behaviour was a bit 'tipsy' and maybe Anastasia's behaviour similar and so the name stuck? Getting very speculative though.

Offline Grand Duchess Valeria

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 14, 2009, 08:07:00 AM »
No, I know the constellation of the names:)  ;) I meant names like Anisja, Tamara, Galina, Arkadi, Lidija, Jefim, Lawrentij and so on (not the prettiest names, I know  ;) ) I didn't find such names in the IF or the "upper class" (never or not as often as Olga, Maria etc). Why there are no grandduchesses or princes with such names? Thats, what I don't understand.
And when he shall die, // Take him and cut him out in little starres, // And he will make the Face of heaven so fine, // That all the world will be in Love with night, // And pay no worship to the Garish Sun.

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #258 on: May 14, 2009, 12:23:48 PM »
I can only repeat: tradition, fashion and personal taste. You can hardly ask my parents why they named my brother Jan....

Offline Tina Laroche

• Graf
  • Give My Love To All Who Remember Me ~ Olga N.R.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 14, 2009, 12:34:32 PM »
I can only repeat: tradition, fashion and personal taste. You can hardly ask my parents why they named my brother Jan....

LOL That's probably off-topic, but my cousin's name is Jan. :D And yes, I guess it was probably matter of tradition and personal taste. One of my best friends is called Tamara - Russian name - but she hasn't got any Russians in the family...

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 15, 2009, 05:21:58 AM »
Does Alexandra call Maria “Mashenka”?

I got this from a Russian biography of Maria which I translated using Google Translator. This is the very famous letter of Alexandra to Maria so don’t mind the grammar that Google translator made.
"My dear Машенька.
Your letter I am very saddened. A pretty child, you must promise me never to stop to think that nobody loves you. As in your head has such an unusual idea? Quickly run it from there. We are all very dearly love you; and only when you are too rasshalishsya, raskapriznichaeshsya and do not listen, you scold, berate but does not mean not to love. On the contrary, it is done so that you can correct your weaknesses and become better, you are usually kept away from others, think that you disturb them, and remains one of Trinh, instead of being with them. They imagine that you do not want them to be. Now you become a big girl and you better should be more with nimi. Nu, I do not think more about it and remember that you are exactly the same way we, as the remaining four, and that we love you with all my heart. It is you loving old mother. "

I can’t read Russian that’s why I will not be able to put the exact Russian text but here’s the link: http://www.st-nikolas.orthodoxy.ru/biblio/tzar/pedagogy/glava9_4.html

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
  • But every spring smells like you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 15, 2009, 06:04:53 PM »
Does Alexandra call Maria “Mashenka”?

It seems she did, looking at that letter.
-Ars longa, vita brevis -
Mathematics, art and history in ♥

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #262 on: August 22, 2009, 06:31:22 AM »
Since Mashenka is a very commonly used nickname for Marias in Russian I would say "definitely" :)

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 22, 2009, 12:23:20 PM »
Indeed, diminutives are very common in using in Russia.  :-) (for example, Olenka, Alyosha, Mashenka..)

Offline cebi26

• View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 05, 2009, 12:01:52 PM »
When the IF was in captivity, how were they called by the guards? name and patronymic, maybe?

Offline nena

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 05, 2009, 12:10:12 PM »
'Citizen Romanov', nicknames 'Nikolasha', 'Former...Grand Duchess', and that is. Rudely.

Offline Countess Adrienn Bellér

• View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 08, 2010, 03:27:09 PM »
I wonder, why didn't they have long long name, like their anchestors...Just a simple name,not f.e: Maria Anna Lena Beatice ...

Is this just an European tradition? Or why didn't they get more names?

Offline Ally Kumari

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Russia
« Reply #267 on: February 08, 2010, 03:39:23 PM »
Because they were Rusian orthodox. In Russian orthodo church it is tradition to have first name and patronymic name. Their ancestors did have long names - but only ancestors outside Russia.

Offline Countess Adrienn Bellér

• View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 08, 2010, 04:27:44 PM »
Thank you I didt know it ^^

Lady Nikolaievna

« Reply #269 on: July 18, 2010, 12:04:17 PM »
Because they were Rusian orthodox. In Russian orthodo church it is tradition to have first name and patronymic name. Their ancestors did have long names - but only ancestors outside Russia.

Yes. The Grand Duchesses had only the first name, the middle was their father name plus "evna", and the last name. It was the tradition.
In other countries we can see long names. Alix, for example, was Victoria Alix Helena Louise Beatrice of Hesse and by Rhine. In Brazil, Princess Izabel's name was Isabel Cristina Leopoldina Augusta Micaela Gabriela Rafaela Gonzaga de Bragança. She was daughter to the Emperor Dom Pedro II.