Author Topic: Imperial Pets-Joy  (Read 19850 times)

Robert_Hall

Imperial Pets-Joy
« on: November 11, 2004, 09:26:17 AM »
Not sure where this goes:
The Nov. issue of ROYALTY DIGEST has an article by Marion Wynn entitled ; The Last Resting Place of "JOY" and the Story of his Rescuer, Col. Paul Pav. Rodzianko.
Very interesting history of the noble families [above] and Galitizine, Stroganov, etc. and their relationship with the last Emperor. The rescue of the pet dog, discovery of the Imperial fate, etc. but mostly the adventures of Rodzianko.
As usual, up to the RD standards of writing.
BTW, Joy lived out his life comfortably in a Windsor [town, not Castle] home and lies buried, apparently, today under a modern car park.
Best,
Robert

Sunny

Re: Imperial Pets-Joy
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2004, 06:18:46 PM »
Robert, does the article mention Joy being blind when he was found ?

Sunny

Robert_Hall

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2004, 06:20:00 PM »
Yes, it does. It was a bit touching, if one is a pet-lover.

Sunny

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2004, 06:36:43 PM »
Robert, thanks for the answer. I had hoped that Joy's blind condition was temporary, as it seemed to occur at the time of the murders.

Having participated in animal rescue, ( a four pound Yorkie is in my lap checking for spelling errors  :)) the Imperial Family's pets hold special interest.

By the by, Lomonosov makes a spaniel that looks just like Joy.

Thanks again,

Sunny

elisa_1872

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2004, 04:02:28 AM »
Robert! Thanks for this information! I'd read there was an article on Joy+ in the latest Digest.
I was so astonished because i'd always read that the dear dog was resting in the grounds of Windsor Castle, the private grounds. Does the article give any more information to the specific place? I know Windsor quite well, do you know whereabouts in the town it was?
I'd really appreciate any more information Robert, as i've been trying to find the dog's resting place for a long time.

olga

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 03:45:45 AM »
a four pound Yorkie is in my lap checking for spelling errors  :)

Glad to see they're earning their keep! My little Jack Russell called Helga helps me with maths homework.  ;D

Sunny

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 06:07:31 AM »
Good on dear Helga  ;)

I, like Elisa, thought that Joy was buried on the grounds of Windsor Castle. Do hope that he isn't under a car park  ???

Sunny

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 09:40:30 AM »
He is buried in the TOWN of Windsor, not on Castle grounds, and the property where he was buried was torn down and is now used as a car park.

Offline griffh

• Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2004, 08:48:30 PM »
I am sure that everyone remembers Princess Marthe Bibesco's touching portrait of Alexis and Joy during the Czar's visit to Roumania for the possible engagement of Olga to Carol in 1914.  I would like to quote it:

"When the military show was over and the imperial family had left for their yacht, where they were offering an intimate tea to their hosts (the Roumanian Royal family), we all went back to the harbor and I had an hour's rest on the deck of the Carlous Primus (Princess Bibesco's yacht)...

The sun was setting, soon the great day would be over.  I could see from the chair on which I was lying a small space of the promanade deck (of the Czar's yacht).  Suddenly a spaniel appeared, and running after it, the Czarevitch in his sailor suit.  His shrill voice came to my ears, carried on the evening breeze: "Joy! Joy! come here," the child called to his dog.  I saw them for one short moment; then both disappeared...

In the middle of the summer of 1918, I heard in a curious way of the terrible death of the imperial family.  A maid who had been for a long time in our house, by birth an Austrian, was found by me one day in the linen room crying bitterly over an unfolded newspaper.  She said through her sobs, "And to think that the Emperor has taken his little boy in his arms to be sure to die the same time as he, and the four your girls too, and they haven't died at once and one heard them scream, it is too dreadful."  Shocked myself I had the greatest difficulty in calming the maid's despair...

That same night it seemed to me I was dreaming, and I saw with the precision that accompanies a nightmare, just this little space of the promenade deck on the imperial yacht.  A spaniel appeared pursured by a handsome child.  The last words of the dying Czarevitch in my dream had been those brought to my ears by the evening breeze:  "Joy! Joy! come here!"  

Pravoslavnaya

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2004, 09:36:54 PM »
Dear griffh - Thank you so much for this extremely moving story of the dear little Tsarevich and his canine friend.  I myself was not familiar with it.  How very ironic that only Joy did survive! :'(

Scott

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2004, 11:05:37 PM »
Exactly where in Windsor is the car park?

Robert_Hall

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2004, 11:47:35 PM »
I think it is part of a housing development now. I am going to check it out while I am over there.
Robert

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2004, 11:49:21 PM »
Could someone scan this article? I would love to read it!

What happened to Joy? Why was he blind?

Sunny

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2004, 05:22:14 PM »

Dear griffh, Thank you so very much for posting such a poignant story.

Laura, my understanding is that Joy became blind because of the emotional trauma he experienced while
in the "House of Special Purpose", at the time his loved ones were being executed.  

Anyone who has experienced a close, and loving relationship with a companion animal knows the bond that exists...you are happy, they are happy, you are
down,  they know it...each time you leave, they think you are never coming back.  

Alexei left and didn't come back.....  there was a dreadful "atmosphere"  pervading the house, and in all probability he heard Ortino being killed. Added to this he was then taken to a stranger's home. A friend who works with traumatized dogs, said blindness could certainly be the result of such shocks.

Sunny

Robert_Hall

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2004, 05:44:20 PM »
I was just sent a photo of a house on Sefton Place, Windsor. [it is for sale, btw]. With the driveway [carpark]  Modern suburbia. Windsor is a nice little upscale town. There is no way to determine just which "carpark" little Joy is under, I am afraid.
Best,
Robert