Author Topic: Prince William and Kate Middleton  (Read 220282 times)

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Re: Prince William and Kate Middleton
« Reply #270 on: November 19, 2010, 11:25:03 AM »
There is already speculation that William would be make Duke of Cambridge on his wedding day (like his Uncle Andrew was made Duke of York on his wedding day). So Catherine would walk into church as Miss Catherine Middlteton and walk out HRH Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.

I like the fringe too, but so it seems the queen too. The fact she gave Diana the lovers-knot is thatshe hadn't been wearing that for ages. So prepare for old dusty tiaras like the Teck Crescent or Cartier Scholl to see the light again.

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Formerly Lancashireladandre & Morecambrian
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 19, 2010, 11:43:56 AM »
There is already speculation that William would be make Duke of Cambridge on his wedding day (like his Uncle Andrew was made Duke of York on his wedding day). So Catherine would walk into church as Miss Catherine Middlteton and walk out HRH Catherine, Duchess of Cambridge.

I like the fringe too, but so it seems the queen too. The fact she gave Diana the lovers-knot is thatshe hadn't been wearing that for ages. So prepare for old dusty tiaras like the Teck Crescent or Cartier Scholl to see the light again.
The Queen did not have the fringe (she wore on her wedding day) to give to Diana.....it was the property of the Queen mother till  her death in 2002.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 19, 2010, 11:46:45 AM »
Oh...I see the Queen had another fringe (from Queen Alexandra) and another from Queen Victoria (think called Hannoverian fringe). She could have lent her the Russian Alexandra fringe to Diana.

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 19, 2010, 11:47:28 AM »
Hi,

My 2 cents:

Also, the tiara that The Queen wore on her wedding day would link Catherine to her, strickly in a 'jewelled' way..
And, the tiara is modest enough to be demure and grand enough (in a royal fringed way) to make a statement...

What do you think - - am I off base here or does it make sense???

Larry
I agree too...

Offline ashdean

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: November 19, 2010, 11:50:20 AM »
Oh...I see the Queen had another fringe (from Queen Alexandra) and another from Queen Victoria (think called Hannoverian fringe). She could have lent her the Russian Alexandra fringe to Diana.
The Alexandra fringe (which is the grandest) seems to be reserved for Queens only.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: November 19, 2010, 11:57:09 AM »
Yes. I think so even though it was given to a Princess of Wales instead of a Queen. Maybe there is a chance Catherine will get the Hannoverian fringe for her wedding. It would make her look more like a fairy queen than ever. In the tradition of Diana, The Queen might also give her some diamond necklace or gem brooches from Queen Mary's extensive trove of jewels.  ;)

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: November 19, 2010, 03:43:55 PM »
I believe that Catherine will be given the Lover's Knot tiara - for two reasons. 

First, she has already been given Diana's engagement ring (which seems to me far more personal and linked to the late princess than any tiara could be).  Said another way, if she can wear that ring, why not the tiara too?

And secondly, if the Lover's Knot didn't go to Catherine, who else is going to wear it?  It will never grace the head of the Duchess of Cornwall, even if/when she becomes Princess Consort.  It also is one of the "fine" pieces that aren't usually given to minor relatives, so it's not likely to be given to Beatrice or Eugenie.  So if it doesn't go to Kate - that means it would have to be locked up in a vault for the next 25 years until some future daughter of William / Kate's is old enough to wear it.  That's certainly not likely.

Offline CHRISinUSA

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: November 19, 2010, 03:44:49 PM »
I forgot to add - I don't necessarily mean that Kate will wear that tiara to her wedding (although she might), just that she will probably be given it.....

Offline Vecchiolarry

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: November 19, 2010, 04:22:36 PM »
Hi,

Thank you Lucien & Ashdean for your agreement of my 2 cents worth.

The Queen doesn't necessarily have to permanently give her wedding tiara to Catherine;  but just a 'lender' for the day!!
I think it looks nice with a veil and demurely spectacular or spectacularly demure (take your pick) for a future princess, duchess, queen!!!
Not that I am any expert on fashion or tiaras...

Larry

Offline TampaBay

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Being TampaBay is a Full Time Job.
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: November 20, 2010, 07:16:13 AM »
Plus, as is always remarked, who knows what treasures lurk in the royal vaults ready to be brought back to light in original condition or reset in a more modern way?

GD Ella,

Since the Queen seems to be forced to cleaned out the jewelry valut in preparation for this wedding, I see no reason why she cannot loan to me the sapphire tiara and matching parure to wear to this weeding!  LOL! LOL!

TampaBay
"Fashion is so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash, we should stop going to the mall.

Offline bonbon823

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: November 20, 2010, 09:59:41 AM »
I'm partial to emeralds...any tiaras with those??  lol

Rani

« Reply #281 on: November 20, 2010, 07:08:40 PM »
http://tudorswiki.sho.com/page/More+British+Royal+Tiaras

Queen Victoria's Emerald and Diamond Tiara, owned now by Earl and Countess of Harewood

Offline Patrick M

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: November 20, 2010, 08:14:56 PM »
There are at least a dozen tiaras that are not frequently worn -- some have not been seen in decades. And if Alexandra's are intact, the number is even higher. I hope that she receives two -- the Strathmore for the wedding and the Lover's Knot for her first overseas tour. In a fantasy world, the Windsors could get their hands on Q Victoria's sapphire tiara that the Harewoods sold years ago. It would be perfect on Kate, given its size and her young age.  

I also wonder if we will see the spectacular sapphire brooch affixed to the pearl choker again -- or if that is now earmarked for Harry's wife. In my opinion, the engagement ring, the Lover's Knot and that pearl choker with sapphire are the three iconic pieces most associated with Diana, Princess of Wales. Surely William won't get all three ...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:16:32 PM by Patrick M »

Offline bonbon823

• I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: November 21, 2010, 12:57:13 AM »
http://tudorswiki.sho.com/page/More+British+Royal+Tiaras

Queen Victoria's Emerald and Diamond Tiara, owned now by Earl and Countess of Harewood

Absolutely lovely!

Constantinople

« Reply #284 on: November 21, 2010, 01:39:28 AM »
Yes enough to make  you green with envy.