Author Topic: Do you believe Olga Nicholaievna was a snob or an emotional passionate duchess?  (Read 30189 times)

Offline Michael HR

• Knyaz
  • Imperial Corps Des Pages
    • View Profile
Hello,

I never did think that GD Olga was a snob.. She was her Mother's daughter and seemed to have a shy streak in her which can to others look like reserve/snobby. Of course she also knew just how dangerous the situation was for the family in the war and after the abdication she alone of the daughters sensed the terrible danger and what was to come. Anyone in that situation would withdraw and that does not mean snobbery at all.

I think we all agree that this perception is not only wrong but quite wicked as it paints such an unfair picture of a true Russian lady devoted to her family and country.

Michael 

Remembering the Imperial Corps Des Pages - The Spirit of Imperial Russia

Lalee

I also really used to like that website and I visited it all the time! After learning more and more about the Imperial Family, I think that the descriptions of the grand duchesses is just about ridiculous. I really admire the Imperial Family, especially Olga and Tatiana.

I loved (and still do!) looking at pictures of the Imperial Family. Although perhaps Tatiana Nikolayevna was regarded as the most beautiful of the grand duchesses, Olga Nikolayevna has always seemed to me the prettiest. I liked to read about each and every one of them, and Olga's story came to me with a lovely fairy-tale beginning and a very tragic ending. Her character was always very admirable and striking to me. I've always thought she was hot-tempered, stubborn and strong-willed, but very caring, sweet, humourous, generous and spontaneous, with a romantic and dreamy nature. I think that Olga inherited a lot of characteristics from both her parents. Even though she and her siblings weren't really meant to know details of the outside world, Olga's understanding and knowledge of it, I think is remarkable!

Olga was very polite to people in public, but also quite shy. Even though she was, I don't think this would have made other people think she had a "snobby" appearance. Her sister Tatiana was probably just as shy as she was, but I think the reason why Tatiana was more popular among the public was because people may have noticed that she took more of an effort to go out into society and meet new people. Both Olga and Tatiana wanted some friends outside the family circle.

So, where does a "snob" come from?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2008, 05:35:26 AM by Ferah »

Offline Halinka

• Boyar
    • View Profile
A snob? I think she was still to young to have a major impact on the imperial court.

Lalee

I think Olga may have made several public appearances. But by all accounts, Tatiana was more popular among the people.

Offline Proud_Olga

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Olga was not a snob. I think some people thought that because she was too frank and sometimes talked without thinking what she was feeling(especially when she was in a bad mood.) Also, Olga was the kind of person who often wanted to be alone. That's maybe why certain people thinks that.

Sorry for my bad english.. My native language is french. =) And I don't have the habit of writing english.
Tatiana's royal play site.
My DeviantArt
Banner & avatar courtesy of GD Ally.

Offline amartin71718

• Graf
    • View Profile
Your English is good.
I'm back on my bull****.

Offline mr_harrison75

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Oui, Proud Olga; ton anglais est très bon!

Olga was attractive, but Tatyana had a more regal kind of beauty, and people were reacting more to her than her sister.

Shy people often passes as arrogant, and since Olga N. had some trouble to keep her emotions in check, perhaps they were thinking she was also a spoiled child and reacting as such...

But we all know that she wasn't, of course!  ;)

Lalee

I don't think Olga was arrogant or spoilt or such, but during her early adolescence, didn't once one of Olga's nurses complain that Olga could be spoilt and lazy and rude to the servants (Olga could be frustrated easily)? From what I've heard, all the girls made their own beds and Alix always tried to make sure that her children wouldn't turn out spoilt.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 08:23:52 AM by Ferah »

Offline Tina Laroche

• Graf
  • Give My Love To All Who Remember Me ~ Olga N.R.
    • View Profile
Huh, I posted this in one similar thread, but still, I wasn't sure if I had to post it there or here, although this one is older... still, there it is again: Oh well, I don't pay much attention to such websites. Olga was certainly not a snob, and I don't know if the thing they say (about Olga calling Maria something like "fat bow wow") is true, but from the OTMA biographies that I read in that site... well, they make it sound like Olga didn't get along with Anastasia and Maria, Tatiana didn't get along with Maria, Anastasia and Olga, and Maria and Anastasia didn't get along with Olga and Tatiana... They made it sound as if the Grand Duchesses (except Anastasia) were spoiled, and rude to eachother. And that Olga hated her mother. And that music... gosh! Man, the people who made that site certainly don't know a lot about OTMA or the Romanov Family.