Author Topic: Portrait Hall?  (Read 10667 times)

I am_Tatianochka

Portrait Hall?
« on: December 27, 2007, 07:27:06 PM »
Does anybody have pictures of Portrait Hall or pictures of the Romanov's in Portrait Hall? :)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Re: Portrait Hall?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2007, 11:40:45 AM »
Do you mean the Portrait Hall at the AP?

I am_Tatianochka

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2007, 09:06:17 PM »
Do you mean the Portrait Hall at the AP?

Yes,that's what I meant...

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2007, 08:38:35 AM »
Not sure if there is a Portrait Hall in the AP....

Offline rosieposie

• Graf
  • Eva Duarte de Peron, May 7 1919 - July 26 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 07:59:15 AM »
I doubt there was one.  AP was just a family home.
Beautiful faithful Nargony.
Thanks Emily!

Miranda:" Everything begins and ends at exactly the right time and place."
"Picnic at Hanging Rock" (1975) Movie.

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2007, 08:58:12 AM »
"Just a family home"? I think not. It was the residence of the Imperial Family and included state rooms for official functions and receptions, as well as the offices of the Emperor to conduct government business. And suites for other members of the family. In any case, though, if there was a portrait gallery, it no longer exsistsIt is not inconcievable that there might have been one, at one time, as  the other palaces have or had them.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2007, 09:43:49 AM »
GOOD LORD DON'T YOU PEOPLE EVER READ THE MAIN APTM WEBSITE??

This is a prime example of what we find so frustrating, people fire off questions without doing the slightest bit of research, and ignore the whole reason the APTM exists...

http://alexanderpalace.org/palace/portrait.html

Offline Mazukov

• Boyar
  • Time it was, what a time it was.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2007, 09:59:01 AM »
I can understand the fustration of Admins, however is it really needed to bite someone's head off? more so  a nob? I hope it doesn't prevent  new people from asking questions. yes they , or should I say,everyone should do a little more  deeper research. but thus, some people don't. they get an idea in there head and boom they fire off a question. without realizing hey there may be info on this already, be that on this forum or on the AP site . but in the end everyone is a little different yes?

Happy new year all. health and happyness.

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2007, 10:07:17 AM »
First off, I didn't bite off anyone's head...I didn't mention anyone personally, and frankly I"m not talking about "deeper" research, I'm talking about primary, basic, like it takes no time to just LOOK at the APTM website which is after all information central about EVERYTHING relating to the palace. I mean, look, this IS the Alexander Palace website, so WHY is it asking too much for people to just CHECK the main website page BEFORE firing off  repetitive questions that are already answered?

Honestly, there is nothing wrong with asking people not be be lazy and spoonfed answers without even taking 90 seconds to look first...

I am_Tatianochka

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2007, 12:50:54 PM »
I'm sorry my question has caused a bit of an up-roar...

Tatianochka.

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 10:21:19 AM »
Dear Admin,
The fact that many people haven't explored the entire AP website should not be taken as "being lazy" but as a compliment to Bob and the 5,000 members of the site that it contains so much information and has so many discussion topics that a "novice" or even a seasoned user like myself might forget where everything is.  I think I even remember once having to remind BobA of information that was on  the AP site that he had "forgotten."

While it may seem somewhat "lazy" it may just be a lack of understanding of the site and all it's features. I'm sure there are people who have stumbled on the discussions site and don't even know the AP site exists.
I have always felt that a direct link to the AP main page on the Forum site would be a way to get people to it to see the incredible amount of detail and information Bob has provided. (Didn't we have a direct link in the past?)

Usually when I see a question or comment that seems to be answered elsewhere, I try to direct that user to the site.  We are all here to share information and sharing knowledge of the site and the wonders it contains is part of it.

I haven't used the search function in a while, but I do know that I have been sometimes frustrated with my inability to get it to work well for me, and so if I can help someone find a place to go, I like to do it, and I've seen many other members do so also!

I know you must be frustrated, but the more people that are on the site, the more likely that there will be those who have to be taught how to use it to its full and wonderful capacity.  That is a compliment to the AP Main Site and the discussion forum.

BobG

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 03:17:39 PM »
Bob,

I really do appreciate what you're saying, but, honestly, this isn't a matter of "exploring the whole site" but rather on the main page of the APTM itself http://alexanderpalace.org/palace/  is a big section, right at the very top of the page, no scrolling down needed is called "Palace Tour" and just a few lines down says PORTRAIT HALL and on the right hand side of the same page large as life is a huge photo for the ZOOM pictures of the PORTRAIT HALL...

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 04:40:52 PM »
In my case, I did read that page, including about the Portrait Hall, but it was some time ago and I simply forgot about the existence of the Portrait Hall, probably because it was not one of the rooms currently restored.  When we usually discuss the rooms at the AP, we mostly focus on other ones, like the Mauve Sitting Room, Maple Room, the Cabinet, etc., the Portrait Hall is just not so prominent, so can easily slip the mind. But of course it would have been just as easy to search the site and confirm its existence, which I am guilty of not doing! :-)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2008, 07:38:43 AM »
This is ridiculous. Imagine for a minute you're a newbie and take a look at the discussion board home page. There is no link or mention of the main APTM site on the home page of this discussion board that I can find, and I've been here nearly 3 years. We simply can't assume that everyone who comes here is aware of the APTM. Matter of fact, even the main banner at the top of the page says "Alexander Palace Time Machine." I'll bet you a copy of Robert Alexander's new book that most people who come to the discussion board for the first time and see that banner think this is the main APTM site.

Frankly, I find these sort of outbursts embarrassing.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2008, 10:19:48 AM »
Thank you Sarah for calling me ridiculous and embarassing for, God forbid, reminding people that the main focus of what we do is the Main APTM website, and that this discussion forum that takes up four hours of my time EVERY DAY, 365 days a year, so that you all can blather away in peace and harmony about whatever you choose, is just a supplement to the work we do on the main site.  FYI, while the Forum has about 150,000 different users every month, the main APTM website has over 1.5 MILLION different users every month.

You disparagement of me is duly noted. 

For the record, the link at the top of the main page USED to return users back to the main site. When we tried to upgrade the forum software, FOR YOUR CONVENIENCE, the entire forum crashed and we were forced to return to the archived version, which we are unable now to change at all, because if we lost it, the forum would cease to exist, and in the archive version, the link incorrectly returns you to the FORUM front page, instead of the APTM mainpage as we wanted it to.

« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 10:35:14 AM by Forum Admin »