Author Topic: Portrait Hall?  (Read 10666 times)

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
Re: Portrait Hall?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2008, 12:50:18 PM »
Dear Admin,
This is the first time that I have seen an explaination as to why there is no link to the APTM main site on the discussion board.  I have been asking for one for quite a long time as I think a lot of the issues you've addressed here would be resolved if we could get the link working again as it used to.

I think you may have overreacted to  Sarah's comment.  She did not call you ridiculous.  She expressed in a different way my concern that there was no direct link from the discussion forum to the APTM main site, and that this situation means that those who have stumbled on the Discussion forum or have been linked here by other sites, have no real way of knowing about the APTM where a lot of the information they may be questioning resides.  This might truly be considered "ridiculous."

I won't speak for Sarah, but I do know that I, and I'm sure most other frequent users, appreciate the tremendous time and effort that all of you running the site contribute.  We are grateful and appreciative and we strongly support you and your efforts.  However, we do have opinions about the site and how it can be improved.  Just as I have regretted the loss of the direct link to the APTM, I have also felt that there should be a thread about the APTM site itself so that we could provide positive feedback and suggestions on it. 

Like so many of the users of this site, while I know it must take a tremendous effort to keep it running smoothly what with hackers, software issues etc., and as I have stated we truly apprciate it.  But in my ignorance of how the forum works, I assumed it was a simple matter to add a direct link to the APTM main site.  Thank you for explaining it.  I hope that someday these obstacles can be overcome.  I think you work would be simpler!

Your statistics on the users of both sites once again reinforces why people may ask questions that might have been previously answered or are covered on the APTM site.  The very volume of the users , and the depth of the information these sites provide are why all of us should try to understand why this may happen, and attempt to gently direct users to the appropriate locations for answers.  Who knows, some of these newbies may become the source of tremendous posts in the future.  We all learn from each other and the sharing adds to our knowledge and apprciiation of what these sites give us.

Keep Smiling!

BobG

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2008, 02:16:38 PM »
With or without the direct link to the main site, it must be extremely frustrating seeing redundant posts all the time, especially when a simple search would have provided a link to an already existing thread. Not only here, but recent examples of the Faberge books, and Nicholas' anti-semitism have come up.  Sometimes I find that feature less than sterling, but with just a bit of effort it will get you where you  wish to go.  I think the FA's patience is remarkabble here, considering they could be  using their efforts and resources to far better effect on the APTM site itself.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2008, 05:18:59 PM »
Hi Rob,

You willl hopefully be pleased to learn that our website "Faces of Russia" does direct all users directly to your mainpage:

http://www.alexanderpalace.org/palace/mainpage.html

Margarita Nelipa

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Mazukov

• Boyar
  • Time it was, what a time it was.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2008, 02:50:24 AM »
The link to Alexander Palace Time Machine site, is up .

You know, we have seen so mnay photo's of the AP " first floor, outside grounds" but there are very few photo's of the second floor. I think it would be exciting to see the second floor past and present.

Offline dmitri

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2008, 03:28:41 AM »
When I visited the Alexander Palace the second floor was off limits. Only the first floor of one wing was open to visitors and of course the gardens in part.

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2008, 10:41:54 AM »
The Portrait Hall is on the 1st (ground) floor of the Alexander Palace.

I can understand that NEW visitors to the forum interested in LEARNING about the Alexander Palace and its occupants might be unaware that the Portrait Hall existed within the building, but for those familiar with the Romanovs' lives in Tsarskoe Selo, not to know this, seems to me a glaring oversight.   

Not only are there photographs of the Portrait Hall, there are photographs of the last imperial family taken in the Portait Hall, there are photographs of the Garden Enfilade of which the Portrait Hall is an integral part and there are well outlined plans of the Alexander Palace all over this website as well as anecdotal accounts of events which took place within this Hall in some of the first hand accounts reproduced within the Alexander Palace website.

I do not find Forum Admin's exasperation on this subject altogether surprising.

tsaria   

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2008, 11:22:23 PM »
Nonetheless, I think that there has been more than enough discussion about reactions to one another. I ask as the Moderator of this topic area that everyone confine themselves to discussion of the Portrait Hall henceforth.

Any further concerns may be directed to either Rob or myself by email or PM.

I will delete any subsequent comments that are off topic.

And, on behalf of the group of us that keeps this site going, I sincerely apologize for any hurt feelings.

Best regards,

Lisa

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2008, 05:09:52 AM »
THE BEATITUDES -

'Blessed are the peacemakers...'

From - The Sermon on the Mount - The Gospel According to St Matthew, Chapter 5:  verses 1-12...  and developed from -

The Ketuvim/Old Testament (Book of Proverbs) -

'In order to develop a peaceful disposition, we must first cultivate the grace of lowliness'.

Nicholas and Alexandra - last owners of the Portrait Hall - certainly learned how to put these verses into practicel.

tsaria

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2008, 05:34:34 AM »
This may be deleted, but before we end this discussion, I wanted to thank the Forum Admin for the link to the APTM main site which has appeared in the News section.  I don't know if it will be able to remain there, but it seems like a good fix until a permanent link may be incorporated.  Thanks.
BobG

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2008, 06:59:42 AM »
Bob -

Indeed - 'Blessed be the peacemakers'.

tsaria

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2008, 10:10:18 AM »
This is getting out of hand. I wasn't angry or upset, before. Now I'm starting to really be annoyed.  I will not apologize for asking newbies to do some minimal searching before asking a question that is a basic one. WHY is that disturbing to people? I don't get it. This is a history site, and all of history is really nothing more than research based.

For example. You don't even have to use the search function here. Try google, or is google "too much to ask" of a newbie? The query "Alexander Palace" "Portrait "Hall"   gives the Main Alexander Palace site webpage I referenced above as the NUMBER ONE response.  Try it yourself...

There is no "argument" here.  But I am puzzled and a bit annoyed why I am taken to task for being exasperated that yet again a newbie asks a basic question without any research, and then am publicly castigated for just ASKING they do some basic and minimal research.  HOW can we train a new generation of scholars without them learning some research skills?  We all know what lunacy can come up when people simply rely on spoonfed answers without doing research...

How can WE be taken seriously at all as a place of history if we handhold and spoonfeed newbies? We are already taken to task publicly because we allow the "oh Alix was so pretty" or "Olga was a spoiled brat" discussions" which we permit unfettered...

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hurt ANYONE's feelings, but I do stand behind a forum policy of everyone doing some small basic research, like just five minutes before firing off a basic question...

Offline I-TsarevichAlexei13

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 12:19:23 PM »
Dear Forum Admin...

Honestly, your taking it out of hand, I understand when people fire off a question it does get you annoyed, but can they help it if they don't really know much about AP to search it? People on this forum are way to harsh and cruel sometimes, not that I am saying you are Admins.

But yes, people in the entire world are harsh.. so yeah..

But still, I don't understand how someone gets so stiff and annoyed over it.. its just a want to know more knowledge, its not like we are literally asking for a ton of info, just if there was a portrait hall, which now is known there definitely is :)

God Bless!

~I-TsarevichAlexei13
Mama clutched my hand, as she smiled weakly.. Then the door handle turned and they walked in.. her smile faded... and the clutch on my hand grew tighter...