Author Topic: Breaking up quotes  (Read 6650 times)

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
Breaking up quotes
« on: January 20, 2005, 09:28:05 PM »
Can someone please post instructions on how to break up a quote in one post? In other words:  

"quote"

text

"quote"  

text

"quote"

text

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by helenazar »

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Breaking up quotes
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 07:56:14 AM »
Can someone please post instructions on how to break up a quote in one post? In other words:  

"quote"

text

"quote"  

text

"quote"

text

Thanks!

What I do is copy and paste the entire text in between the
symbols and then edit what I want to actually quote. For instance, if I want to quote two different parts of your post, I would click on the "Quote" link as usual. Then you get the message with the header information followed by the actual post text, and it all ends with a
symbol. Always leave that header information but then delete the text that you don't want to quote, but always finish it off with the
symbol. So you do that for every portion of text that you want to quote. Remember, always begin each portion with the header information (that's the part in brackets that says "quote author=Helen_Azar link=board=Welcome;num=1106278085;start=0#0 date=01/20/05 at 21:28:05"), then delete the text you don't want to quote, and finish off the portion with the "quote" symbol in brackets. And do that for every new part you want to quote. That way it will show up in different portions. I hope you understand, let me know.

Like this:

And this:

"quote"

text

"quote"  

text

"quote"

text

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Sarai_Porretta »

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 08:09:28 AM »
Thanks, Sarai. I tried doing this in the past but for some reason it didn't work. But I will try again the next time it's called for!  :D

Offline Belochka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • City of Peter stand in all your splendor - Pushkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 08:55:38 PM »
Hi Sarai,

Like Helen, I also wondered how this was achieved. I failed miserably when I attempted to be slightly innovative. Thanks for letting us know.

Belochka ;D

Faces of Russia is now on Facebook!

http://www.searchfoundationinc.org/

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 09:09:58 PM »
It worked. Thank you, Sarai!

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2005, 02:44:53 PM »
You're welcome, glad I could help! :)

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 01:00:28 PM »
Hey Blanche!
This is really easy to do, what you do is press the "quote" button on each of the persons you are wanting to quote (it would be a good idea to open up each person in a seperate/new window)
Then, once you have one persons quote, you can:
1) Add your comments
2) Add the other quote

To add the second quote go to the page that has their quote (that we opened in a new page above) highlight the text and copy it. Come back to your window with the other persons quite and "paste" it into the window.

If you don't understand what I am talking about, just let me know and I'll do a pictorial tutorial (lol, that rhymed)  :)

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 03:15:36 PM »
For sure, I do hope this is more helpful. I am feeling really tired today, so I hope this doesn't sound as confused as I am groggy.

--Tutorial--

For this tutorial, I am going to use two quotes from members and add my comments to them.

Step One: First, you want to open each quote that you wish to comment on, in a new window. You right click your mouse over the quote button like this: (do this to each quote you wish to show in your post)

Step Two: Now, you should have a few new windows open. One window with your reply, and a window for each quote you wish to use. Upon looking at our new windows you should see a "reply" box with the following in it:

Step Three: Let take this quote and place this in another person's quote box, so we can show both quotes in our reply. So... lets copy this quote.
To do this, you must highlight the text. You highlight text by one of two ways:
one| - Put you text cursor at the start of the quote and hold down the "SHIFT" key, while holding the key, point the cursor at the end of the quote
two| - Point your mouse at the top of the quote, and while holding down the left mouse button key moving the mouse to the end of the quote.

This should highlight your text.

Step Four:While your text is highlighted we want to copy the text. To do this, while your text is highlighted, right click on your mouse to get a menu. Select "Copy":

Step Five: Now that we have our text copied, we can go to the original quote or reply we have ready. For this tutorial, I am going to add this quote to another one. Go to the other window, (which you should have opened at the start) that has the next quote you want to use. This is what mine looks like:

Step Six: In the reply box, right click your mouse again and press paste:

This is what it should look like after you press paste:

Now, if you press preview it will show you two quotes made by two people:

Step Seven We don't want to post two people different quotes alone. We want to add our comments!
So.. you can put text inbetween the quotes like this:

Step Eight After you add the comments that you want, press "Post" and this is what you'll get:

I hope this helped. If not let me know!!
*hugs*
Laura  :)