Author Topic: Why was my post deleted?  (Read 21107 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: Why was my post deleted?
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2008, 11:22:30 AM »
I want to say, publicly (and I thought about whether to do it or not but I didn't want any speculation) that as global moderator I have the power to delete posts and threads (or move them) in their entirety. However, I did not do so in the case of either the Eurohistory thread or the Author's obligation. While I have the authority to move threads without prior approval, I would never delete a thread without the express permission of Bob or Rob.

I know it wasn't you, GDella.

Thank you, Helen. You actually posted as I was typing my post so my comment about speculation wasn't aimed at you. I just figured I'd head it off before it began.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline ChristineM

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2008, 11:31:33 AM »
Ella - we ALL know it wasn't you.

I can understand why people might be proprietorial about their posts, but no man/woman is an island, and these matters must be viewed globally.

How about getting off Rob's back?   He's had a rough time over the last two days - please don't make it a third.   He acted entirely appropriately in getting rid of the offending thread.   As for the other one - its gone for whatever reason.    No point crying over spilt milk.   The important fact to log is that neither Bob nor Rob chose to take this action - what interest would they have in despoiling their own Forum?   Just take the lesson and learn.

ChristineM

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2008, 11:51:43 AM »
Hopefully it will turn out to be an error or a technical glitch. Threads have been deleted accidentally, I believe, when it was intended to be just a post. It would be regretful to lose so much information but hopefully it will turn out to be no more sinister than one of the two.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2008, 12:15:07 PM »
Hopefully it will turn out to be an error or a technical glitch.

I hope so too, but I have a feeling it wasn't..

The important fact to log is that neither Bob nor Rob chose to take this action...

Yes, and that's very good to know!

Offline Puppylove

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2008, 12:18:31 PM »
Ella - we ALL know it wasn't you.

I can understand why people might be proprietorial about their posts, but no man/woman is an island, and these matters must be viewed globally.

How about getting off Rob's back?   He's had a rough time over the last two days - please don't make it a third.   He acted entirely appropriately in getting rid of the offending thread.   As for the other one - its gone for whatever reason.    No point crying over spilt milk.   The important fact to log is that neither Bob nor Rob chose to take this action - what interest would they have in despoiling their own Forum?   Just take the lesson and learn.

ChristineM

Everything you say is true Christine. With that in mind a sincere and specific thanks to you, Grandduchessella, Rob and Bob for allowing us to exercise our free speech rights within reason and for the privilege of pursuing our intellectual interests here.

I do hope it's nothing but a technological glitch; we were posting with passion so perhaps the obligations thread just temporarily overheated! But if it was intentionally deleted then may I just say this: Rob stated perfectly in the "Sarushka's leaving" thread that leaving the forum is akin to giving even more power to the person who drove them away in the first place (paraphrased).

Except when it crosses the line and raises even the spectre of litigation (and we are all grown up enough to know never to put Bob and Rob in that position in the first place), no one, moderator or poster should EVER fear a good, honest debate of the issues. And any author, especially a non-fiction one, worth even one grain of salt should welcome and encourage those debates.

Jenn
"The censor's sword pierces deeply into the heart of free expression." Earl Warren

"...and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2008, 12:39:46 PM »
I realise that the point Larry was trying to make was not  the amount of his posts, but why they were deleted. I take it he was feeling he had been censored.  Fair enough, I suppose. I would not have a clue if any of mine had been deleted if I went by my post count. Was there not a huge crash a few years back when EVERYTHING was deleted? And we all started all over?  That was certainly unintentional. I doubt that this recent episode was, but that is simply my suspicion. If the thread cannot be restored- so be it, just start over if  B&R have no objection.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2008, 12:43:02 PM »
Was there not a huge crash a few years back when EVERYTHING was deleted? And we all started all over? 

Yes, I remember this, Robert. But I don't think everything was deleted, only some of the latest posts, maybe like a day's worth, if I remember correctly. I don't think it happened this time, because it was only one specific thread... but I suppose I could be wrong.

If the thread cannot be restored- so be it, just start over if  B&R have no objection.

Yes, in fact we can start a new thread with the same subject and then if the other thread is restored, the mods can merge them.

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2008, 12:48:17 PM »
Add me to the list of those who know it wasn't Ella who deleted the thread,  and those who appreciate Rob and Bob for all they do for us.

Glitch? Nah. I think it was a mistake by the editors.;)

Offline Puppylove

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2008, 12:57:48 PM »
Add me to the list of those who know it wasn't Ella who deleted the thread,  and those who appreciate Rob and Bob for all they do for us.

Glitch? Nah. I think it was a mistake by the editors.;)

LOL, good one Fact Free Annie The Vindicated!
"The censor's sword pierces deeply into the heart of free expression." Earl Warren

"...and ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." John 8:32

Alixz

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2008, 01:12:23 PM »
Just to add my 2 cents.  I wasn't accusing anyone when I said that someone "with that kind of power" should 'fess up.

I just know that not too many of us have that kind of power, so it kind of makes for a short list.

Again as I said before, I am sort of glad that the unmentionable thread is gone.  As for the Authors' Responsibility thread, let's just start another in the book section.  If that is what everyone wants, why not?

And certainly no one wants Rob or Bob to be sued for any reason.  Certainly not because of something that was posted.  Is that really possible?  Can they be sued for something that they didn't say because they own the site? 

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2008, 01:34:23 PM »
The Author's Obligations thread was deleted by Lisa.  She did so because she was being personally attacked and publicly disrespected as a Moderator.   She apologized for deleting the entire thread to me, instead of simply removing the specific posts.  Frankly, I understand and forgive her.  Whether one "likes" Lisa or for some reason does not, she is a Moderator with the 110% support of myself and Bob.  She should not be publicly addressed in any personal nor derogatory fashion.  Speaking to her or about her is the same as saying it to or about me or Bob.

The loss of the other parts of the topic can not be retrieved at this point.  You may start it again should you wish. 

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2008, 01:37:16 PM »
As for the Authors' Responsibility thread, let's just start another in the book section.  If that is what everyone wants, why not?

We already did :-) http://forum.alexanderpalace.org/index.php/topic,10966.0.html

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2008, 02:35:26 PM »
This discussion is closed.