Author Topic: Nothing New In History  (Read 2954 times)

Offline James1941

• Graf
    • View Profile
Nothing New In History
« on: November 27, 2004, 10:04:49 PM »
I find it interesting that the Russian Federation has re-instituted some imperial Russian symbols for the new democracy. They have made the imperial eagle the new symbol of Russia, adopted the red-white-blue flag, and what I find most interesting have re-instituted some tsarist orders. Today Russians and heads of state can be awarded the Order of Saint Andrew, established on July1, l998. It looks very simular to the old tsarist order, even to the blue ribbon.
Also re-insituted is The Order of Saint George, on August 25 2000. I have not seen a picture of this new order. Has anyone any information on it? Is it like the tsarist order? The soviet government had a St. George Order but it was a new type of medal with only the old orange and black stripped ribbon of the tsarist order.

Offline Mike

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Erast Fandorin Museum
Re: Nothing New In History
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 07:53:57 AM »
Also re-insituted is The Order of Saint George, on August 25 2000. I have not seen a picture of this new order. Has anyone any information on it? Is it like the tsarist order? The soviet government had a St. George Order but it was a new type of medal with only the old orange and black stripped ribbon of the tsarist order.

Enjoy:

As you may see, it looks almost identical to the pre-revolutionary St. George. However, according to its statute, the renewed order in intended only for senior and high-rank officers (the old order could be awarded to any officer). Also, the old order had a version without the St. George image for non-Christian officers. The post-Soviet imitators of Russian imperial traditions apparently lack such sensitivity.
There was no St. George order in the USSR. Instead, the Order of Glory [Orden Slavy]was awarded in 1943-1945 to rank & file soldiers, NCOs and (only God and Comrade Stalin know why) to air force lieutenants. Like the pre-revolutionary St. George, it had a black-orange ribbon. There were three classes of the Order of Glory, while the soldiers' St. George had four.  

Offline James1941

• Graf
    • View Profile
Re: Nothing New In History
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 01:18:34 PM »
Thank you, Mike. Excellent picture and very useful information. And, I do stand corrected about the Order of Glory.
Can you tell me where you got the information and/or picture of the orders and medals of the Russian Federation as I would like to research them more?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by James1941 »