Author Topic: The Battenbergs - discussion, pictures  (Read 231624 times)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
Re: The Battenbergs - discussion, pictures
« Reply #195 on: March 25, 2007, 02:01:43 PM »
From the Montenegrin thread:

(courtesy of Prince Christopher):

On their marriage:  In 1896, while Queen Victoria was on her annual spring holiday to the French Riviera, she was accompanied by Louis, Victoria, Alice, the recently widowed Beatrice and her 4 children.  "One afternoon the royal party went to La Turbie with [Franz of Battenberg] and Princess Anna of Montenegro.  While most of them went to a booth containing a "camera obscura", Franzjos and Anna slipped away from the main party.  Soon afterwards, at breakfast, Louis announced their engagement and presently Anna's wily father, Prince Nikola, arrived to charm Queen Victoria."

On their exile:  Up until the war, Prince Franz Josef of Battenberg, who was scholastically inclined, and his wife Anna spent some time at Prinz Emils Garten.  "But at the outbreak, they were outside Germany and Ernie advised them not to return.  Later Ernie gave Franzjos permission to come back, but he decided not to.  When Italy joined the war, he and Anna found themselves permanent exiles.  They settled in Switzerland, where he pursued academic studies.  They had never been prosperous, and now their fortunes went into sharp decline.  By August 1916, Franzjos was described as "awfully badly off."

Also from Vickers:

On later finances:  Franz Josef died in 1924.  "Edwina [Mountbatten], who, though she had never met him, had been sending him an allowance and continued to send money to his widow Anna until her [Edwina's] own death in 1960."

In July of 1930, Anna was living at Stein-am-Rhein, and visited Alice.

After the death of Victoria Milford-Haven, her children were concerned about the will-being of their Aunt Anna, who would only accept money from Battenbergs.

When Alice died in 1969, one of the messages came from her old Aunt Anna in her room at Territet.

Anna died at Montreux on April 22, 1971, aged 96.  For many years, she was the oldest European princess.

From Gleb:

Also H.RM. King Umberto II of Italy paid the rent of the little house where his Aunt Anna lived. He was quite close to her and she had been very helpful and kind when H.R.M. Queen Elena of Italy was very hill (in fact she died) during the beginning of the fifties.

Queen Elena and her husband King Vittorio Emanuele III were great friends of Franz Josef and many photos show them all together. During the summer they paid several visits to the Savoy in the summer residences of Racconigi and San Rossore.

From gorm:

In an attempt to cover all of his bases, Nikolai married his daughter Ana off to Prince Franz-Joseph of Battenberg in 1897. Although the Prince died prematurely, Ana remained in mourning for the rest of her life.

From Danjel:

They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline omanik

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 25, 2007, 03:04:52 PM »
Thank you very much grandduchessella!  Even I have followed several threads I have never found all the posts you have put together here.

Still, there remain a lot of questions:
Can anyone tell something about "Emil Garten"? I googled it but could not get a sensful answer where it is or used to be.
Then, I read somewhere about Queen Victoria, that she mentioned Franz Joseph and his wife in letters. What did she write about them? Is there a book about this?
What kind of studies Franz Joseph did? Somewhere I found a note about a Dr. Franz von Battenberg. Is this Franzjos?

Offline Helen

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 25, 2007, 03:30:14 PM »
Can anyone tell something about "Emil Garten"? I googled it but could not get a sensful answer where it is or used to be.
Do you mean the Prinz-Emil-Garten at Bessungen - now part of Darmstadt? It still exists, at the corner of the Hermann Strasse and Heidelberger Landstrasse in Darmstadt.
http://www.darmstadt-tourismus.de/sehenswertes/details.asp?id=13
http://www.darmstadtgalerie.de/details.php?image_id=64
"The Correspondence of the Empress Alexandra of Russia with Ernst Ludwig and Eleonore, Grand Duke and Duchess of Hesse. 1878-1916"  -  http://www.bod.de/index.php?id=296&objk_
"Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig and Princess Alix of Hesse and by Rhine in Italy - 1893"

Offline omanik

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2007, 02:05:23 AM »
Yes, seems to be what I was looking for. I think I will visit Darmstadt next time I'm in Germany.

Offline VN

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2007, 05:25:28 AM »
Franz-Josef wrote a book about the economic system of Bulgaria (published around 1886-90!??). I guess due to his time in Bulgaria with his brother Sandro.
Dr. Franz von Battenberg should be Franz-Josef, as far as I remember he had a doctorate. According to his sister Marie von Erbach-Schönberg, he was more an academic person, Ludwig, Sandro and Liko more military.

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
« Reply #200 on: March 26, 2007, 11:35:19 AM »
Yes, he had a doctorate.  He was a voracious reader and used to send VMH and her sisters on errands so they wouldn't bother him while he read.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2007, 12:09:27 PM »
According to a book on the Vanderbilts, he made a proposal of marriage to Consuelo Vanderbilt (later the Duchess of Marlborough) but she had dislike at first sight and turned him down flat. She, of course, was fabulously wealthy and that would've helped the family out enormously and she also made a fabulously disastrous marriage so perhaps Franzjos wouldn't have been so bad.

For British honors, he held the GCVO (1897) and KCB. His doctorate was based on a dissertation about his brother's reign in Bulgaria.

Sections of the archive at the University of Southampton Library MS 62, the Broadlands archives, include the papers for Alexander of Hesse; Princess Julie of Battenberg ; Prince Alexander I of Bulgaria ; and Prince Henry; naval and personal correspondence and papers of Prince Louis of Battenberg with some materials relating to the Russian imperial family; papers of his wife, Victoria and son George. Does anyone know where any papers of Franzjos might be?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 12:20:17 PM by grandduchessella »

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #202 on: March 26, 2007, 12:10:33 PM »
Franz-Josef wrote a book about the economic system of Bulgaria (published around 1886-90!??). I guess due to his time in Bulgaria with his brother Sandro.
Dr. Franz von Battenberg should be Franz-Josef, as far as I remember he had a doctorate. According to his sister Marie von Erbach-Schönberg, he was more an academic person, Ludwig, Sandro and Liko more military.

It was Die volkswirtschaftliche Entwickelung Bulgariens von 1879 bis zur Gegenwart (Leipzig, 1891)

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 26, 2007, 01:52:06 PM »
But regarding Consuelo's marital prospects, grandduchessella, she was forced into marrying the Duke of Marlborough, correct? And it wasn't until her divorce and marriage to Balsan that she found happiness. So not to diminish Franzjos, but I rather think the matter of Franzjos vs. Marlborough was six of one, half a dozen of the other!  ;)

Offline VN

• View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 26, 2007, 02:42:46 PM »

It was Die volkswirtschaftliche Entwickelung Bulgariens von 1879 bis zur Gegenwart (Leipzig, 1891)

Thanks for looking up the title, I didn't have the time to go look through my papers.  :). It is really very stange with Franz-Josef. Even in Darmstadt-Staatsarchiv I never really found something. I still have a source in Jugenheim, but I didn't work myself through everything yet- except one picture of Anna dated 1890 (?? or 91/92/93?? :-\) - Paris.

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
« Reply #205 on: March 26, 2007, 10:45:28 PM »
Some info about their wedding:

It took place in the cathedral at Cettinje with a Protestant benediction done afterwards at the British Legation. There was a large group of royalties, especially the entire Montenegrin family, but very few of Franzjos's relatives it seems.

This doesn't seem true but the New York Times reported that Anna was dowried by the Czar with a million roubles. The couple was said to have met shortly before the wedding while both visited Queen Victoria, vacationing at Cimiez. The Prince was a guest of Queen Victoria's while Anna was visiting her sister Militza and brother-in-law Grand Duke Peter.

It gave the sidenote that Franzjos had visited the US twice.

It was reported weeks later that Franzjos was going to be governing Crete. It was thought that the appointment would be well-received due to Franzjos being a favorite of Queen Victoria and the Princess being closely tied to the Russians. This gossip went on from about May to fall of 1897.

Offline gleb

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 02, 2007, 09:54:21 AM »
From the Montenegrin thread:

(courtesy of Prince Christopher):

On their marriage:  In 1896, while Queen Victoria was on her annual spring holiday to the French Riviera, she was accompanied by Louis, Victoria, Alice, the recently widowed Beatrice and her 4 children.  "One afternoon the royal party went to La Turbie with [Franz of Battenberg] and Princess Anna of Montenegro.  While most of them went to a booth containing a "camera obscura", Franzjos and Anna slipped away from the main party.  Soon afterwards, at breakfast, Louis announced their engagement and presently Anna's wily father, Prince Nikola, arrived to charm Queen Victoria."

On their exile:  Up until the war, Prince Franz Josef of Battenberg, who was scholastically inclined, and his wife Anna spent some time at Prinz Emils Garten.  "But at the outbreak, they were outside Germany and Ernie advised them not to return.  Later Ernie gave Franzjos permission to come back, but he decided not to.  When Italy joined the war, he and Anna found themselves permanent exiles.  They settled in Switzerland, where he pursued academic studies.  They had never been prosperous, and now their fortunes went into sharp decline.  By August 1916, Franzjos was described as "awfully badly off."

Also from Vickers:

On later finances:  Franz Josef died in 1924.  "Edwina [Mountbatten], who, though she had never met him, had been sending him an allowance and continued to send money to his widow Anna until her [Edwina's] own death in 1960."

In July of 1930, Anna was living at Stein-am-Rhein, and visited Alice.

After the death of Victoria Milford-Haven, her children were concerned about the will-being of their Aunt Anna, who would only accept money from Battenbergs.

When Alice died in 1969, one of the messages came from her old Aunt Anna in her room at Territet.

Anna died at Montreux on April 22, 1971, aged 96.  For many years, she was the oldest European princess.

From Gleb:

Also H.RM. King Umberto II of Italy paid the rent of the little house where his Aunt Anna lived. He was quite close to her and she had been very helpful and kind when H.R.M. Queen Elena of Italy was very hill (in fact she died) during the beginning of the fifties.

Queen Elena and her husband King Vittorio Emanuele III were great friends of Franz Josef and many photos show them all together. During the summer they paid several visits to the Savoy in the summer residences of Racconigi and San Rossore.

From gorm:

In an attempt to cover all of his bases, Nikolai married his daughter Ana off to Prince Franz-Joseph of Battenberg in 1897. Although the Prince died prematurely, Ana remained in mourning for the rest of her life.

In 1924 when FJ died Queen Elena bought a villa for Ana near Villa Savoia, in Rome (the private home of the King and Queen of Italy) and asked her to come to live there, so that they could be "neighbours". But Ana refused becouse she said she wanted to live near her husband's grave. So she was often a guest of the italian Royal Family, but did not live with them, like Militsa (another sister) and Jutta.

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
  • Sergei Vladimirovich Markov
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 09, 2008, 02:24:35 AM »
Apologies for a momentary descent into trivia, but.........

In UK (and possibly elsewhere) a marzipan covered sponge cake, which when sliced has coloured quarters in pink and yellow, is known as a Battenberg. In a recent episode of the long-running soap-opea 'Eastenders' one of the characters attempted to make one, and explained that it is so named because Victoria of Hesse first made it for her husband Louis of Battenberg. Is this true?

if so, congratulations to the script-writers of 'Eastenders' for historical accuracy!!

(Please move to 'Having Fun' or delete altogether if this is in the wrong place!)

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #208 on: August 09, 2008, 04:35:53 AM »
Apologies for a momentary descent into trivia, but.........

In UK (and possibly elsewhere) a marzipan covered sponge cake, which when sliced has coloured quarters in pink and yellow, is known as a Battenberg. In a recent episode of the long-running soap-opea 'Eastenders' one of the characters attempted to make one, and explained that it is so named because Victoria of Hesse first made it for her husband Louis of Battenberg. Is this true?

if so, congratulations to the script-writers of 'Eastenders' for historical accuracy!!

(Please move to 'Having Fun' or delete altogether if this is in the wrong place!)

ha! This is really funny - I wrote to Ilana last night about the exact same thing, though I try to avoid EastEnders.  Sometimes I just catch it as it's on.... ;)

They previously had another storyline related to this board - in the 1980s there was a wine bar which opened opposite the pub the Queen Vic, and they decided to nameit after a royal "rival" - so it was named the "Dagmar" - I guess that it being the 80s everyone doing the scripts was thinking Russia would have been the natural rival.....though they could have picked someone from QV's own generation for greater accuracy...
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.

Russka Princess

« Reply #209 on: August 09, 2008, 05:12:23 AM »
 did i understand it rirght ?  the battenberg cake was called after Louis of Battenberg, becuase VHM has baked  the  cake for him ? i has read that the girls of hesse, has learnd to cook, and clean their ouwn rooms. so i think  she could baked it ^^