Author Topic: Translating V.I. Yakovlev's 1928 "The Alexander Palace-Museum in Detskoye Selo"  (Read 54077 times)

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
Here are a few of the pages Joanna translated (442-447) in case anyone needs to refer to the original text for corrections:

Photobucket is pitifully slow tonight, so I'll add pages 448-453 when the site is more cooperative...
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Originals of pages 448-453, translated by Joanna:

"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline pastpalacelife

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Joanna,  I apologise if you have already done so, but could you please post a picture of the front of the book?  Thanks.  I'm really enjoying this thread and am very impressed with your translations as well as Helen's and others.  It's fascinating to read!   Tracy

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Hi Tracy --

Regarding the cover, Joanna says, "There is actually no cover and I must assume the book binding is of the regular brownish style and not like Lukomsky's Tzarskoje Sselo which is brilliant blue embossed with name TS." She has sent me these scans of the frontispiece and title page of the book in lieu of the cover:

Offline Joanna

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Winter Palace Research
    • View Profile
    • Winter Palace Research
Words noted in red I am lost on if anyone can help to translate/clarify:

Pg. 453-454

No. 45 & 46  MAIDS’ ROOMS

They are apportioned with low partitions in the faux-gothique style arranged probably in the XVIII century by the architect I.V. Neelov. These partitions are painted white with mastic oil varnish. The stone walls are covered in cream stripe wallpaper. 

In the first room {No. 45} are the sets of mahogany and karelian Empire 1830 style furniture from the small house on the Children’s Island, among which attention is drawn to the clavichord musical instrument. A breakdown of several objects in the faux-gothique style transferred from the White Tower: dark and light bronze desktop clocks, bronze and mother-of-pearl clocks, a pair of Шандалов (?) and an inkwell.

Pictures:

843 Unknown Artist
Three women feeding swans
Size 0,37 x 0,38 Oil on canvas

In the second room are the sets of wavy birch furniture upholstered in calico in the Empire style from the same house on the Children’s Island. Also from this house are alabaster chandeliers with bronze chains and toys of ships, wooden and iron blades, hoes, watering cans, swings, metal screen and so forth.

In between the partitions are arranged the furniture from the house of Alexandra Nikolaevna, the daughter of Nikolai I, and Russian porphyry vases in the classical style from the monument of Alexandra Nikolaevna. Also stored here is the copper board with the engraved poem “The Dying Swan” from V.A.Zhukovskogo's monument on the Children's Island.

Pictures:

844 Kollman, C. (1786-1846)
Nikolai I at Babigon, (приказный домил в русском стиле ? ….. in the Russian style).
Size 0,205 x 0,295 (в просвете паснарту ?) Watercolor

There are a pair of lithograph reproductions, one of which represents Nikolai I at the coffin of Francois I, and the second – a German work – of Nikolai I with retinue.

Joanna

Offline BobG

• Graf
  • George of Greece
    • View Profile

Pg. 453-454

They are apportioned with low partitions in the faux-gothique style arranged probably in the XVIII century by the architect I.V. Neelov. These partitions are painted white with mastic oil varnish. The stone walls are covered in cream stripe wallpaper. 

In the first room {No. 45} are the sets of mahogany and karelian Empire 1830 style furniture from the small house on the Children’s Island, among which attention is drawn to the clavichord musical instrument. A breakdown of several objects in the faux-gothique style transferred from the White Tower: dark and light bronze desktop clocks, bronze and mother-of-pearl clocks, a pair of Шандалов (?) and an inkwell.

Pictures:

843 Unknown Artist

In the second room are the sets of wavy birch furniture upholstered in calico in the Empire style from the same house on the Children’s Island. Also from this house are alabaster chandeliers with bronze chains and toys of ships, wooden and iron blades, hoes, watering cans, swings, metal screen and so forth.

In between the partitions are arranged the furniture from the house of Alexandra Nikolaevna, the daughter of Nikolai I, and Russian porphyry vases in the classical style from the monument of Alexandra Nikolaevna. Also stored here is the copper board with the engraved poem “The Dying Swan” from V.A.Zhukovskogo's monument on the Children's Island.

Pictures:

Nikolai I at Babigon, (приказный домил в русском стиле ? ….. in the Russian style).
Size 0,205 x 0,295 (в просвете паснарту ?) Watercolor

There are a pair of lithograph reproductions, one of which represents Nikolai I at the coffin of Francois I, and the second – a German work – of Nikolai I with retinue.

Joanna

Шандалов = candlesticks

приказный домил в русском стиле = undertaken in the Russian domestic style (I'm not too sure of this one)

в просвете паснарту (паспарту maybe?) = opening in the mat

Can anyone help??

Bob G

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • http://svetabella.livejournal.com/

Pg. 453-454

In the first room {No. 45} are the sets of mahogany and karelian Empire 1830 style furniture from the small house on the Children’s Island, among which attention is drawn to the clavichord musical instrument. A breakdown of several objects in the faux-gothique style transferred from the White Tower: dark and light bronze desktop clocks, bronze and mother-of-pearl clocks, a pair of Øàíäàëîâ (?) and an inkwell.

Pictures:

843 Unknown Artist

Pictures:

Nikolai I at Babigon, (ïðèêàçíûé äîìèë â ðóññêîì ñòèëå ? ….. in the Russian style).
Size 0,205 x 0,295 (â ïðîñâåòå ïàñíàðòó ?) Watercolor

Joanna

Øàíäàëîâ = candlesticks

ïðèêàçíûé äîìèë â ðóññêîì ñòèëå = undertaken in the Russian domestic style (I'm not too sure of this one)

â ïðîñâåòå ïàñíàðòó (ïàñïàðòó maybe?) = opening in the mat

Can anyone help??

Bob G

Øàíäàëîâ = big candlesticks

Ïðèêàçíûé äîìèê â ðóññêîì ñòèëå = in the Russian folk style

Ïàñíàðòó=ïàñïàðòó =mat or passerpartout

Offline Reco

• Graf
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Thanks a lot to everyone who do the translating

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Here is my working translation of the Little Pair's bedroom. A couple phrases have me stumped, so I'd appreciate any corrections native Russian speakers can offer before I post it in the thread for final copies. There are probably a few mistakes I'm not even aware of. Original Russian text is in the images at the bottom.

(pgs 393-395)
No. 11 BEDROOM OF THE YOUNGER PRINCESSES

The walls are painted in gray tones of mastic oil paint. Under the паддугой (arch?) - a frieze of stylized roses, stenciled in two colors with a full picture of the image, with flying dark bronze butterflies in free spaces. Triple window curtains, as from the other room, are made from English chintz.

The furniture is quite varied, but mostly ivory colored with green stripes. There are writing tables of the same type as the elder princesses’, and armchairs near them.

Children's maple wood beds, covered with silk blankets with monograms, are put on one of the side walls instead of the ones taken to Tobolsk.

Tables, cabinets, bookcase and dressing tables are filled with ordinary trifles and different photographs of the family, relatives and close persons. On the bookcase and the desk in front of the sofa are placed albums with photographs  glued in by them personally.

In a closet at the back wall the childhood belongings of the princesses are stored, such as: dresses, coats, umbrellas, shoes, baptismal bonnets, hats, knitted blouses and so on.

Two open maple icon cases and доен угольник are filled with icons, images worn next to the skin, and eggs. Before the corner and the large icon cabinet at the back wall - the lamps, before the last of them - are collapsable lecterns, on which lie embroidered silk icons of saints Maria and Anastasia, a gift in honor of lighting the Church of the Holy Mother of God in the school of folk art.

On the shelves in the corner is the Gospel - with the blessing of Metropolitan Anthony in 1905 and the prayer of parting.

In the icon cabinet at the front wall also lies the gospel - with the blessing of the Metropolitan in 1906, and a small pocket edition of the four gospels.

On the night table beside Anastasia Nikolaevna’s bed are books with religious content, the remnants of church candles, bands with the prayers, cross, etc.

On the walls, above the beds, are развешаны образки (an array of images?) and more - with reproductions of paintings mostly of religious content of the kind: Engravings from the work of Gustav Dore ”Procession to Golofa” with the autograph of the artist and engraver on the полях, a color reproduction of the Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci, and others.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
And here is Yakovlev's description of the Big Pair's bedroom. I'm not at all confident that I correctly translated the religious terms and titles near the end, so help is much appreciated:

(pgs 388-391)
No. 10 BEDROOM OF THE ELDER PRINCESSES

The walls are painted with pink mastic oil paint. Under the паддугой - a stenciled frieze of stylized morning glories in two tones with a wave pattern at the base and brown dragonflies flying against the backdrop of паддуги. Adjacent to the white marble wash basin (near the icon cabinet) a portion of the floor and walls, as in this room and into the next, is lined with метлахскими tiles. There are triple window curtains: silk, cloth, and print cretonne matching the room.

The furniture in this room varies, but is of an ordinary everyday nature, mostly painted ivory, while many items are represented in pairs, because they were usually presented by relatives to both Olga and Tatiana. The many screens draw attention.

Children’s field cots are placed along one wall instead of those taken to Tobolsk. They are covered with silk blankets with large monograms. There are still other blankets for them knitted from wool. Dressing tables, tables and glass cabinets are positively cluttered with small photographs and various trinkets of porcelain, wood, glass, etc.

In a rear corner - a bone-colored icon case with icons, painted wooden eggs produced by Lukutina, crosses, rosaries and images. In the same place lie: prayer books, the four gospels (pocket edition) and Olga Nikolaevna’s gospel - благословенне протопросвитера I. Yan’shev in 1903. Before the icon case hang three lamps and a desk is covered with a shroud embroidered with white lilies, apparently, the monastery's work.

In another corner, where Tatiana Nikolaevna’s bed stands immediately hang on the walls - icons, images, reproductions of paintings with religious themes, and then, on the small corner cabinet, lies the Gospel - with the blessing of Metropolitan Anthony in 1903, the prayer of St. Seraphim of Sarov, antique embroidery beaded with the passions of the Lord, small printed religious scenes, and a carved wooden folding image of Nicholas the Wonderworker from the Bishop Varnavas 19 18 X 16 [18 October 1916].

Inside this small cabinet religious books are stored, such as: акафисты, lives of saints, collections of church hymns, the handbook of the  believing sisters of mercy, илиотропион, или сообразование человеческой вола с божественною волею - created in высокопреосвященного blessed memory of Ioann Maksimovich, metropolitan of Tobolsk and all Siberia(one of five books) - marked 1917 by Tatiana; pages of text are also marked with pencil.

On the chest against the bed (in front), there is a mahogany box-складень with images, adapted for travel. Right there is a printed timetable of prayer hours at the Fedorovsky imperial cathedral for the second to sixth week of Great Lent in leather binding. On the night table beside the bed - prayer books, Tatiana Nikolaevna’s gospel - a blessing from протопресвитера Ioan Yanishev in 1905 and followed in the holy week of Easter from the Metropolitan Anthony in 1909.

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile

(pgs 393-395)
No. 11 BEDROOM OF THE YOUNGER PRINCESSES

паддугой (arch?) - under the coving (here means not exactly an arch,but the cambered ceiling)

доен угольник  - diptych (means folding icon contains of 2 parts)

развешаны образки (an array of images?) - an array of little icons

полях - on the margins

Offline Svetabel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile

(pgs 388-391)
No. 10 BEDROOM OF THE ELDER PRINCESSES

метлахскими tiles - metlach tiles. (a sort of mosaic tiles - here's a link for an example http://www.metlah.ru/inner/info/3.html)

благословенне протопросвитера I. Yan’shev in 1903. - blessing by arch-presbyter

акафисты - akathistos (means religiuos hymns)

илиотропион, или сообразование человеческой вола с божественною волею - "Iliotrophion" (means a book by Ioann Maksimovitch, here's  a link to the cover of this ancient book http://www.idrp.ru/buy/show_item.php?cat=2028)

высокопреосвященного - Most Reverend

складень - folding icon (triptich or dyptich)

протопресвитера - arch-presbyter

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Thank you Sveta!

паддугой (arch?) - under the coving (here means not exactly an arch,but the cambered ceiling)

развешаны образки (an array of images?) - an array of little icons

полях - on the margins

It's so interesting -- in these cases my instincts were right, but I couldn't find the correct wording to verify my guesses in the dictionary.

Offline danac

• View Profile
Hi, this is my first post. I have been viewing posts here for 3+ years, and have been fascinated with the Alexander Place as well as the Romanov family. I am a visual person, and as a 3D modeler, I am interested in the colors and so forth of the rooms. I have looked and tried to put together a spreadsheet of the rooms and the Yakovlev translation descriptions all of you have been gratious to translate. There are huge gaps, I don't know if I have just missed them, or they haven't been translated yet. Here is a link to an excel spreadsheet I keep in my Google docs folder, I have created a share feature so you can hopefully view it. It is the first time I have done this. I realize this is a post that hasn't been used, but I am putting together a 3d floorplan and am currently active in research. Thanks DanaC

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3DgEWyCnobyNGk1QnhBTWtMRkU/edit?usp=sharing

(I am sorry, it is required you have a account to see this spreadsheet.) I will try something else.

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
Hey Danac,
I sent a request for your floorplan, if you want I can host it for you.
Re: Translating Yakovlev's work -- I can try taking a stab at it too, if this is something we're all still interested in doing.