Author Topic: Portraits in the Mauve Room  (Read 5001 times)

Offline jfkhaos

• Graf
    • View Profile
Portraits in the Mauve Room
« on: November 30, 2004, 12:29:52 PM »
I apologize if this post should be somewhere else, but I could not find the topic.  I have read that there was a painting of Princess Alice in the Mauve Room, but have never seen it.  Does anyone know what painting this was, and is it possible to see?  Did Alix has any portraits of any other family members (i.e. British, like Uncle Leopold) in the room?  Thanks in advance!

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
Re: Portraits in the Mauve Room
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 02:34:46 PM »
Go here:

http://www.alexanderpalace.org/palace/2.html

The portrait of Alice on the top right, just above the Annunciation by Nesterov.  Take the photo tour of the Mauve Room from the AP mainpage and you can see lots of the family photos.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by admin »

Offline chintz22

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 08:12:55 AM »
Hi,

Does anyone know who painted that lovely portrait of Princess Alice?  Is there a color photo of the painting?

Thanks,

Sarah

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 09:46:16 AM »
Sarah,
If you read the text accompanying the picture, you would have seen the artists name: Van Sant.  The painting survives and is on display at Pavlovsk.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by admin »

elisa_1872

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 11:50:23 AM »
Many many thanks for confirming this wonderful painting is indeed on display Forum Admin!

Is it at all possible to order prints of paintings in the Imperial Residences, from the Russian Archives as one can with the Royal archives at Windsor on the paintings in the Queen's residences? I would very much like to obtain a print of this painting somehow, and wondered if it might be possible, and if yes, who i could enquire to.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by elisa_1872 »

Offline strom

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2005, 11:01:30 AM »
The Annunciation from the Mauve Boudoir that Lili Dehn, the Empress's close friend, saw during the dark March days of the revolution as shadowed by the moon is on display at Cincinnati.