Author Topic: Dedications  (Read 2078 times)

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
  • Sergei Vladimirovich Markov
    • View Profile
Dedications
« on: April 30, 2008, 06:09:59 AM »
Many of the Romanov-related books that we like to read, collect and share have interesting dedications from their authors to other family members, friends and confidantes. I thought it might be fun to post a few of them here, and see if forum members can recognise the books from which they are taken. Please don't post the answers on the thread before other people have had a chance. You can PM me if you want to check your answers. Why not post a few of your own, taken from your own book collection?

Just name the book and the author. They are in no particular order, but cover the years 1922 - 2008 :

1) 'To all my American friends, whose kindness and help opened to me the gates of a new life in a new world, I affectionately dedicate this book.'
2) 'To my brother Dmitri : 'Where'er the call of destiny may lead us.
                                     Wherever happiness may make us go,
                                     A foreign land, the world, for naught can change us,
                                     Our only home is Tsarskoie-Selo.'           (Pushkin)
3) 'Dedicated naturally to Michael, without whose very justifiable 'nagging' this book might have been started, but certainly never finished, with gratitude and love.'
4) 'To my Empress, with love and fidelity eternal.'
5) 'By her gracious permission, I have the honour to dedicate this book to her Imperial Highness The Grand Duchess Xenia of Russia, in gratitude for her many kindnesses to me, and in memory of other days.'
6) 'Dedicated to the memory of my Russian Grandmother, 'the bold and beautiful _____________,' in the hope that some (but not too much!) of her remarkable courage and spirit lives on still at least in her great-grandchildren.'
7) 'T0 H.I.M. Alexandra, the late Empress of Russia : Adieu, c'est pour un autre monde.'
8) 'For L. and P., who continually teach me what really matters.'
9) 'For my children and grandchildren, and in memory of my dear friend Countess Lydia Tolstoy, who encouraged me to write this book.'
10) 'Although some people may find that I have repeated much of what I have written before, I hope they will forgive this last attempt to silence the rumours which continue so persistently to malign my father, to whom I dedicate this book in loving memory.'

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
    • View Profile
Re: Dedications
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 07:11:59 AM »
Correction : No. 8 should read :

8) For L. and P., who continually teach me what really matters.

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 07:14:02 AM »
It's done it again! Please ignore the word 'cool' ~ it should be No. 8 !!

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 07:39:30 AM »
It's done it again! Please ignore the word 'cool' ~ it should be No. 8 !!

8 + ) = the code for the "cool" smiley

It'll go away if you put a space between the number and the parenthesis.
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2008, 02:45:14 PM »
7) 'T0 H.I.M. Alexandra, the late Empress of Russia : Adieu, c'est pour un autre monde.'

Is this Lili Dehn's dedication?
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.