Author Topic: Princess Victoria of Schaumburg-Lippe (Moretta), 2nd daughter of Kaiser Friedrich III  (Read 217199 times)

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Yes, it does seem that book was an exaggeration in anybody's opinion. ;) I think his family should not be dragged into what he was, etc. People's families are not sometimes to blame for what people are, and on the evidence, they seem fine. Beyond that, I do know what Zoubkoff did wasn't really good, but I am ready to say it has been exaggerated. There were, as Sebran pointed out, many stereotypes in that relationship, and although Moretta was broken by it all, it was an easily labeled relationship. Moretta's life was very complicated, in many ways.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Since there is new information from the sourse of Zoubakoff's mother, I think that has to be considered. Lets hope it could clear up some established facts of the situation.  ???

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Lets hope it could clear up some established facts of the situation.  ???

???

Sorry, i'm lost :-\. What will new evidence tell us? Ok Mrs Zoubakoff may well have been very nice, thats one thing. But having married Mr Zoubakoff, doesn't Morettas change in circumstance tell us everything? Clearly she got http://ripped off!! :)
Grief is the price we pay for love.

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Well...Maybe Zoubakoff really liked her but weak with money ? Moretta never did really restained her husband's spending, such blind trust may not have work with a charecter like Zoubakoff...We are all speculating here now.  ??? Lets wait for the info to come out.  ???

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Ok that's interesting, when's it coming out? :)

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
I think Sebran has that info on Zoubakoff's mother and that could shed some light on the charecters of Zoubakoff and Moretta. As she (the mother) was the only one with info (since Moretta's letters and dairies are gone) and the only bio being the Lynx version.  ???

Offline Sebran

• View Profile
Oh, I don't think my documents and pictures can give a complete and trustworthy reflection of it all either, but of course it is worth considering them when doing research. As I wrote earlier, Zoubkoff's nephew in Russia (Igor), might also have inherited documents and photos from Mary Zoubkoff, or have heard interesting facts about what happened (he was born after the death of Alexander though, and was only about 10 when Mary died).
Then, what would be necessary to do is to search through archives...

A good start to learn more is to read Alexander's and Victoria's memoirs. They can be found on  www.bouvier-verlag.de  by searching on "Mein Leben und Lieben"  and "Was mir das Leben gab".
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 07:51:28 AM by Sebran »

Offline Sebran

• View Profile
Here is an interesting article from 27 October 1932 (I believe it was published in Luxemburg Wort). It shows how facts were fabricated, during the time before the Second World War, to serve different purposes. In this case how stories about Alexander Zoubkoff were invented to to add even more hard feelings to the conflict between Germans and Poles.

Don't miss the last four lines!
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 09:31:13 AM by Sebran »

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Too bad I can't read German. What year was that book, the Hohenzollern Scandal published? I am just curious how close it was written to the events that it purports to be about. One point is, where the stories about Alexander Zoubkoff spread down after the time they were useful, or were there more later ideas of what happened?

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
I think the Lynx book can still be bought in online book searches and even Barnes & Nobles and Amazon's out of print book sections. Good luck !  ;)

Offline grandduchessella

• Global Moderator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • Getting Ready to Move to Europe :D
    • View Profile
    • Facebook page
The book is easily found online. I actually just unloaded mine based on the information that came up in this discussion.

While I still find, based on contemporary readings of him amongst other things, Zubkoff a distasteful character, I think we've all really benefited by Sebran's bringing new information to the Forum. It presents an entirely different angle to the traditionally accepted history of the two--certainly it's turned the view of his background upside down. The snapshot photos also show that, at least early on in the marriage, Victoria seems to have been happy in the marriage and had a relationship with his family--something never demonstrated before this.
They also serve who only stand and wait--John Milton
Come visit on Pinterest--http://pinterest.com/lawrbk/

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
I think I now get the feeling more of a weak charecter in Zoubakoff than someone who deliberately wanted to hurt poor Moretta. Unfortunately she did got hurt in the end. Lets see if the new info concurr with my theory.  ;)

Offline Eddie_uk

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile

FREE PALESTINE.

Offline Eric_Lowe

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
indeed we do have to wait and see  ::)

Offline Janet_W.

• Velikye Knyaz
  • ...And no one's grief has ever passed you by...
    • View Profile
Of course Victoria would initially be happy in her marriage. And of course it would behoove the family of her husband to fawn over her and bend over backwards to be nice to her. But what a price--literal and figurative--she later paid for that alliance. To be loved for who she truly was, without the material trappings of her heritage . . . that is what I would have wished for Moretta.

The question to ask is "Would this person fall in love with me and want to stay with me if I didn't have my wealth/title/station in life? Would he/she even deign to speak to me if I was of middle or lower income and without connections to the wealthy and/or exaulted?"

We should all be wary of "confidence games," but those with financial assets and/or social connections need to take particular care.

It isn't coincidence that a favorite film of mine is "The Heiress." Take a look at it and tell me that Montgomory Clift's character was truly in love with the shy and clumsy spinster played by Olivia DeHavilland.