Author Topic: Janet Ashton's book The German Woman  (Read 19524 times)

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
Re: Janet Ashton's book The German Woman
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2008, 05:17:28 PM »
It is really funny, but you and I have come to very similar conclusions (through fiction and nonfiction) about our characters.  I look forward to reading the rest of your novel.
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Kitt

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2008, 07:42:14 AM »
I am more than half way through this book, and am very pleased with the result.  It doesn't "read " like fiction, yet because it is fiction, subjects like hemophilia and Irene's and Victoria's ( sister) reactions can be presented. I especially liked the part when Victoria approaches Alex and tells her she has seen things like the bruising on Alexei's legs before on other people. Calm, matter of fact, and totally believable.  I am looking forward to finishing the book. It certainly has a space in my library.
All the best, Kitt

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2008, 03:57:59 PM »
I am more than half way through this book, and am very pleased with the result.  It doesn't "read " like fiction, yet because it is fiction, subjects like hemophilia and Irene's and Victoria's ( sister) reactions can be presented. I especially liked the part when Victoria approaches Alex and tells her she has seen things like the bruising on Alexei's legs before on other people. Calm, matter of fact, and totally believable.  I am looking forward to finishing the book. It certainly has a space in my library.
All the best, Kitt

Hi Kitt
    Thanks for this!
I had a lot of thinking to do about the haemophilia issue, especially as we don't know for sure when Alexei was actually diagnosed. He was a fairly mild haemophiliac, and people who saw Alexandra when he was small testified to how "radiant" she looked, suggesting that she either did not know or would not acknowledge that he was suffering from a potentially life-threatening condition. Her sister Victoria, as the eldest child in their family, had seen their brother Frittie (or Fritzie) suffer and remembered his death well; she went through life with a horror and fear of the disease, and yet even she did not fully understand how it worked: when her grandson Philip had teeth removed as a boy she was in terror lest he suddenly exhibit symptoms, although he had had none until then. She also feared that his mother (Alice's) deafness was a sign that she carried haemophilia. She also - as I comment in the book - had a dread of first cousin marriages, and associated them with weakness and possibly with haemophilia too.

All this suggested to me both that Alix was unlikely before her own son was born to have fully understod that he might prove to have haemophilia, and also that when it came to facing up to that fact her sister was likely to have played a major part, especially as she was often in Russia when Alexei was small and could see his bruises for herself and understand what they meant better than the doctors N and A then had did.

So that's why I wrote it that way!

Janet
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 03:59:39 PM by Janet Ashton »
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.

Offline Kitt

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2008, 08:30:19 PM »
Thank you Janet,  for expanding on the topic of hemophilia. I finished it, and will pass the book on to my 87 year auntie who is a local historian in upstate Pennsylvania. I know she will completely enjoy your story.
All the best, Kitt

Offline Suzanne

• Graf
    • View Profile
    • Carolyn Harris Royal Historian
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 12:39:35 AM »
I'm looking forward to reading this book - I ordered it on Amazon.ca a few weeks ago and still haven't received a delivery date - is there anywhere else I could order this from thst would deliver faster? Thanks

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 06:20:16 AM »
I'm looking forward to reading this book - I ordered it on Amazon.ca a few weeks ago and still haven't received a delivery date - is there anywhere else I could order this from thst would deliver faster? Thanks

The publisher (www.belgarun.com) will deliver fast, and I think Amazon Uk will as well. I have also found van Hoogstraten online to be good, and they are also stocking the book, although they usually don't carry fiction on royalty, because as the owner wrote to me she felt it represented Alexandra's "very vision" and her "own voice." As they have been so kind about it, I hope people are ordering through them as well!

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2008, 08:45:46 AM »
In response to emails, comments and questions I've received, I have updated the pages about the book on Directarticle (my and a few friends' website): -

http://www.directarticle.org/Germanwoman.html

This should I hope explain my intentions in writing, and in doing it I have adapted some things I've posted here for the site and also added two pages of extracts from the text, so people can have some idea of what they are getting when they buy.

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2008, 09:37:28 AM »
If anyone would like a signed copy of the book, the publisher currently has ten in stock.....well, nine, since the first one goes to the person who asked me for them!

Anyway, you will need to place your order directly through www.belgarun.com

My thanks to all who have bought it so far - and I hope you've enjoyed it.

Offline jgutmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2008, 06:41:12 PM »
Congratulations on the publication, Janet!

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2008, 04:20:40 AM »
Congratulations on the publication, Janet!

Thank you Jen!
This was the book I was writing back in 2002 when I was just "Janet" or janeta@angelfire.com on a.t.r. and we used sometimes to discuss Alexandra (though I didn't tell anyone I was writing it back then).
It went into abeyance for some years after that, but here it is in print at last......

Offline jgutmaker

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2008, 06:52:29 AM »
I'm going to order it and read it, as I expect it will be both well researched and well written. I always enjoyed our discussions on ATR, and I thought you had a lot of insight into the Romanov's lives that I appreciated.

Thank you also for the kind PM. Have a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

Alixz

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2009, 04:55:18 AM »
I think I might be the first person on the ten person list.  May be not, but my signed copy came yesterday and I am very pleased with everything I have read so far.

It took a little getting used to the style, but when I caught on that it is a sort of thinking "diary" and that Alix is going back and forth from "now" 1918 to her childhood, I just started buzzing right along with her.

I love the insights about her childhood and her thoughts about Nicky.

Thanks Janet.

By the way her publisher is great and friendly and also ships very quickly.  I had my copy from the UK to the US in less than a week.  Even including all the holidays in between.

alixaannencova

« Reply #27 on: April 23, 2009, 09:42:27 PM »
I am so ashamed of myself for taking so long to take up this book! I delayed as I have never read any fictional accounts of lives of any Royals let alone members of the Imperial Family!

But goodness me....this book is absolutely wonderful! I can not emphasize just how cleverly Janet has adapted her writing and use of language, so as to achieve an uncanny similarity to the language used by Alix and her contemporaries! As a native of England, I was struck immediately by this very clever device and it works beautifully!

I have only just started the book and already I am absorbed! Everyone with an interest in Queen Victora, the mob and the Romanovs should have read or be planning to read this book....IHMO!

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:52:25 PM by Toots »

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2009, 07:14:31 AM »
I am so ashamed of myself for taking so long to take up this book! I delayed as I have never read any fictional accounts of lives of any Royals let alone members of the Imperial Family!

But goodness me....this book is absolutely wonderful! I can not emphasize just how cleverly Janet has adapted her writing and use of language, so as to achieve an uncanny similarity to the language used by Alix and her contemporaries! As a native of England, I was struck immediately by this very clever device and it works beautifully!

I have only just started the book and already I am absorbed! Everyone with an interest in Queen Victora, the mob and the Romanovs should have read or be planning to read this book....IHMO!

Blushes modestly..... 8)

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2010, 04:23:48 AM »
Well, as it seems to be open season on advertising books, don't forget this one when you're looking for presents for friends and family! :-) :-D