Author Topic: preobrazhensky march  (Read 5020 times)

Offline neselrode

• View Profile
preobrazhensky march
« on: August 03, 2008, 03:13:01 PM »
As the opening music of his tv biography and also for the regiment of which he was colonel in chief, Lord Mountbatten used the beautiful march of the Preobrazhensky regiment.  He explained that his uncle, Tsar Nicholas "gave" it to him, and that he, in turn, "gave" it to the regiment.  Lord Mounbatten was only a boy before World War I. Why would the Tsar "give" his young nephew a regimental march? Could someone please explain it ? Thank you.

Russka Princess

Re: preobrazhensky march
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 03:17:09 AM »
 hmmm good question  :)

Mabe he wanted made his nephew a pleasure, cause he will be the next Lord Mountbatten. i think Nicholas II has liked his nephews and nieces very much.(  from the side of his Sisters and the siblings of Alix)

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 09:46:33 AM »
Nicholas II gave the march not to Mountbatten but to Alfonso XIII of Spain on the occasion of his marriage to Ena of Battenberg - when Mountbatten was just a young child. It was Alfonso who in 1922 (when Mountbatten in turn got married) passed the march onto him in memory of his Russian uncles Nicky and Serge (Serge having been I believe C-in-C of the Preobrazhensky). It is now, courtesy of Mountbatten, the Slow March of the Royal Marines.
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.

Offline neselrode

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 10:56:51 PM »
I just joined yesterday; I chanced on this site and was thrilled to find such a goldmine for those interested in Russian history.

I appreciate your detailed response. I did not know the tradition. I thought that this famous march (with Russian words) of Russia's oldest regiment would not be just given for use by another nation, even if one's relatives ruled it.  Also, upon his marriage  in 1922, Lord Louis wasn't colonel of anything yet.  Would King Alphonso just transfer the right to use the march to him?

Offline Janet Ashton

• Knyaz
  • www.directarticle.org
    • View Profile
    • Direct Article
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2008, 09:44:28 AM »
I just joined yesterday; I chanced on this site and was thrilled to find such a goldmine for those interested in Russian history.

I appreciate your detailed response. I did not know the tradition. I thought that this famous march (with Russian words) of Russia's oldest regiment would not be just given for use by another nation, even if one's relatives ruled it.  Also, upon his marriage  in 1922, Lord Louis wasn't colonel of anything yet.  Would King Alphonso just transfer the right to use the march to him?

Mountbatten claimed that Alfonso gave him the march; however I have seen some accounts which suggest that he specifically asked for it. He kind of liked to rewrite the past in ways which emphasised his own connections with royalty.... :)
I believe some Prussian regiments also used the march pre-1918, presumaby because they had Romanov C-in-Cs and the like....
Shake your chains to earth like dew
Which in sleep had fallen on you -
Ye are many; they are few.