Author Topic: Riddle of the Romanovs: Revealed  (Read 8393 times)

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
  • Sergei Vladimirovich Markov
    • View Profile
Riddle of the Romanovs: Revealed
« on: July 15, 2008, 10:01:13 AM »
For UK folk : Tuesday 22nd July, at 8.00pm, on Channel 5 ~ 'Riddle of the Romanovs : Revealed'.  The listing says : ' Are new remains in Russia those of the two children missing from the grave of the Russian Royal Family assassinated in 1918?

Offline markjhnstn

• View Profile
Re: Riddle of the Romanovs: Revealed
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 08:27:45 AM »
I'm going to miss this. I'll be at work and i gave up my video recorder ages ago. Hope somebody will put this on youtube or at least tell us what it's like? Please!!!!

Offline Charlieee

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 06:29:58 AM »
I watched it! It was quite interesting (especially for a Channel 5 documentary - those things can often be quite OTT and stating the obvious!) I don't know that much about the Romanovs (only the basics but I'm wanting to find out more about their lives) so a lot of it was interesting information for me. I found the descriptions of the execution and what the executionors did with the bodies very interesting although very sad (they drew upon a "top secret" document given to Lenin by one of the executioners I think). This description explains why the 2 bodies of the younger Romanovs were found in a separate grave and why their skeletons weren't intact. They also questioned whether the Tsar's daughters had jewels sewn into their clothing to protect them from bullets and if they did, would they have survived the impact of the execution?
For me this documentary was very interesting and has made me want to find out more. I don't know what avid Romanov fans would make of it though :-\

Offline markjhnstn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2008, 04:11:27 AM »
Thank you for your description!!

Offline Michael HR

• Knyaz
  • Imperial Corps Des Pages
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2008, 04:45:57 AM »
Very good program showing how via DNA all members are accounted for. Brings this sad chapter to an end.

Remembering the Imperial Corps Des Pages - The Spirit of Imperial Russia

Offline markjhnstn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2008, 01:17:40 PM »
Yes, finally it looks like all the avenues of speculation are now closed off.

Offline Rachael89

• Graf
  • As the world falls down....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2008, 02:03:25 PM »
Generally, it was good. I was a little annoyed by some small mistakes (referring to Nicholas as the Kaiser's cousin, for example) and the more sensationalistic aspects, like treating the disposal of the bodies and the jewels that protected the girls as new discoveries when the details have been known for years.

It was nonetheless an interesting and relatively accurate documentary, it was interesting to see how the scientists got the DNA from the remains and  several photos of Anna Anderson that were new to me were shown at one point.
It's not fair!

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2008, 09:02:22 PM »
This is the same basic show as the US National Geographic "Finding Anastasia" right?

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2008, 09:04:29 PM »
  several photos of Anna Anderson that were new to me were shown at one point.

I noticed that the pics they used of AA were the ones who looked the least like AN, the ones that emphasized her large mouth and lips and square chin, traits very different from AN. I used some of those on my website, if anyone wants to compare them to AN (link in my sig)

Offline Rachael89

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2008, 04:36:53 PM »
True, I would imagine the lack of resemblance apparent in them is the reason they are rarely seen.

I found one photo - of Anna sat, looking frail, with a large shawl draped around her shoulders - very interesting. I suspect the shawl might be one of the gifts given to her by Olga A, but have no way of knowing for sure.
It's not fair!

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2008, 06:02:17 PM »
Is it something you can post? I would like to see that.

Offline Rachael89

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2008, 03:49:58 AM »
Unfortunately, because I only realized it was on at the last minute - my mum told me it was on and I had to hurriedly go up stairs and turn on channel 5 - I wasn't able to record it.

I don't know if anyone else did though, if anyone here has, would they be able to screencap that photo? I would like a permanent copy of it as well.

I'll assume this photo wasn't seen in the National Geographic version of the program - right?
It's not fair!

Offline Michael HR

• Knyaz
  • Imperial Corps Des Pages
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2008, 04:02:02 AM »
I think they could have spent more time on the DNA aspect of this investigation showing how beyond all doubt that all four daughters are accounted for and why. Also they should have spent more time on showing why the remains from the second grave could not be parts of bodies from the first grave as some have argued. It is vital that we show that there are four remains separate from each other with the mtDNA of the Empress and account for each daughter in their own right.
Remembering the Imperial Corps Des Pages - The Spirit of Imperial Russia

Offline Forum Admin

• Administrator
  • Velikye Knyaz
  • www.alexanderpalace.org
    • View Profile
    • Alexander Palace Time Machine
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2008, 09:43:26 AM »
Well, MichaelHR, they already know that at least the male body of the new discovery CAN NOT be part of the original find as they clearly determined without doubt that the male DNA was from the child of Nicholas and Alexandra.  No male child of N/A was discovered before.  The only question "could" be viz the female remains, which were also proved beyond doubt to be the sibling of the male remains by DNA.  A comparison of the more complete skeletons originally found with the bones of the second find would easily show if the same parts are all "accounted" for from the first find or not...

Offline Annie

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Anna Anderson Exposed!
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2008, 10:47:30 AM »
Well, MichaelHR, they already know that at least the male body of the new discovery CAN NOT be part of the original find as they clearly determined without doubt that the male DNA was from the child of Nicholas and Alexandra.  No male child of N/A was discovered before.  The only question "could" be viz the female remains, which were also proved beyond doubt to be the sibling of the male remains by DNA.  A comparison of the more complete skeletons originally found with the bones of the second find would easily show if the same parts are all "accounted" for from the first find or not...

On the show, you can see how they used a female pelvis bone to get DNA used in the testing. Since the other 3 in the mass grave all had pelvises, I would say this proves we have the fourth girl. However on another forum, AGRBear is claiming that bone may have been a piece from the mass grave and until we get nuclear DNA patterns for four different girls we won't know for sure. (though I doubt even that would satisfy her or a few others) I say this was not possible since the burned grave was first and it was covered up before they dumped the other bodies in the mass grave! What, did they break off a piece of one of th other bodies, burn it to match the burned remains and rebury it in the burned grave? Why? To plant evidence to be found for some test they didn't know existed 90 years later? Oh come on that is ridiculous! Also JKendrick tried to say that maybe Alexei got his teeth knocked out and they tested the teeth as his but that doesn't mean he died, but it looks like they used an arm bone to test Alexei's DNA. Some people are never going to give up or stop inventing new wild theories.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2008, 10:49:09 AM by Annie »