Author Topic: Alexei as a teenager  (Read 13962 times)

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
  • Your Memory Keeps Me Alive
    • View Profile
Alexei as a teenager
« on: July 23, 2008, 08:14:23 PM »
Well, this is really weird but i've been thinking about it all day, so i just give it a go here.

I've been wondering how Alexei reacted to being a teenager, and the same goes for the girls, and if he would've been open about this with his parents, especially his father. It's weird but i wonder, how he might have reacted to his body changing and his hormones racing through his body, an all that comes with being a teenager. I know, the age he grew up in was really quiet about 'the questions of life' but the IF was a close family, and i think that when one of the girls had questions Alexandra woudl've answered them the best she could. And the same goes for Alexei asking his father those questions.  So i bassicly wonder how Alexei reacted to growing up, and I wonder if there are any notes about him becoming a teenager(since as probably everyone knows, the age for boys to become a man is between 11 and 16).

So, I wonder if anyone has read anything about Alexei becoming a teenager? Maybe in the diaries(I've heard Alexei kept one, is it been found or lost forever?), or something. Really strange that i all of the sudden wonder about this.
Learn To Live With My Darker Side

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Alexei as a teenager
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 03:53:32 AM »
I've never read anything about Aleksey's reaction to growing up or puberty, but his parents, Alexandra especially, treated him like a baby for a long time. He was still playing with toy soldiers at age 13.

It would be interesting if anyone has anything, though.

Russka Princess

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 05:06:40 AM »
yeah and i dont think that he was interestet at girls.  i think he has enough, cause he know how girls can be ^^

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 06:31:28 AM »
Yea, I don't think he was interested in girls either, but that doesn't mean he wasn't growing up. Alix was treating him like a baby indeed for a long time, because she feared he might hurt himself, but Alexei must have been wondering about what was going on with him. I think Nicholas might have realised Alexei could have questions, but of course we can't forget he grew up in a time when you couldn't talk about those things, and that could've stopped him answering questions. But still, the IF were a close family, and it just seems right that when one of the the girls, or Alexei had questions, Nicky and Alix would answer them the best they could.

Russka Princess

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 07:30:42 AM »
i imagne one question he could aks his parents when he was younger  like: mama, from where come the babys ??

i thinnk every child ask this their parents, and they dont know what they should say.

Offline Olga Maria

• Velikye Knyaz
  • 1 Corinthians 13, Mark 11: 23-24, Romans 8: 38-39
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 04:40:16 AM »
I was re-reading my copy of Tatiana’s letters from livadia.org when I came upon her letter to Alexei dated October 7, 1915 which said: “I didn’t see your Irina, because she’s in Petrograd”.

Who’s that Irina? I’m sure it’s not Grand Duchess Irina Alexandrovna for I think they didn’t see much of her in war time. I think that Irina Tatiana spoke of was Alexei’s crush…I might be wrong, too. If ever she was really his crush, I admit it’s indeed new information for me!

Amazing colored fotos  by the most wonderful Yelena Aleksandrovna. Endless thank you very much!

Offline Tasia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 07:51:27 AM »
I was re-reading my copy of Tatiana’s letters from livadia.org when I came upon her letter to Alexei dated October 7, 1915 which said: “I didn’t see your Irina, because she’s in Petrograd”.

Who’s that Irina? I’m sure it’s not Grand Duchess Irina Alexandrovna for I think they didn’t see much of her in war time. I think that Irina Tatiana spoke of was Alexei’s crush…I might be wrong, too. If ever she was really his crush, I admit it’s indeed new information for me!

When I read about yours comment, Shandroise, I thought about Princess Ileana of Romania (because her name reminds me Irina, weird names)... O-O
But her name's Ileana and not Irina, so I have my doubts too xD

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 12:23:49 AM »
Actually, someone being a teenager when it comes to behavior/feelings is a cultural thing. In the US at least, it's expected someone will become moody and emotional. I have a friend from Peru who says no such thing exists where she is from. They don't expect teenagers are going to act like teenagers in the same way Americans do, and in that part of the world, teenagers don't act like American teenagers.

I hope that made sense, it's sort of a difficult thought to verbalize. A good book on the subject is The Case Against Adolescence: Rediscovering the Adult in Every Teen, by Robert Epstein.

Offline CorisCapnSkip

• Graf
  • I Love YaBB 2!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 03:15:38 AM »
Actually, someone being a teenager when it comes to behavior/feelings is a cultural thing.

It seems to be the American insistence on independence rather than viewing children and adolescents as part of a continuous family unit.

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 07:31:14 AM »
Well, I agree on it being a cultural thing. It is thought often that the American idea of being a teen is a correct one 'world wide', but it is different everywhere. Here for one we don't have the same school system, with prom, sports, and the 'High School society' even though I must admit that I would love it if they introduced Prom here too, we have dances at school here every year but it seems that here every single person is dressed casual while in the US they make a big deal out of it with corsages, pretty dresses and costumes - It seems a lovely idea to me, but that again is a cultural thng because you only see those kind of things in the states(I think)

Offline Kalafrana

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 08:40:00 AM »
Alexei was certainly babied by Alexandra, and by his father and sisters as well. I keep wondering whether he ever rebelled against being called Baby. If he didn't he certainly should have done! After all, he was almost 14 when he died.

As to the physical changes of adolescence, it's possible that they hadn't really started at the time he died. Boys' voices tended to break later then than they do now. Ernest Lough was 15 when he made his celebrated 1927 recording of O For the Wings of a Dove and continued singing treble for a year after that. My father (born August 1928) tells me that his voice suddenly broke when he was out carol singing with the church choir at Christmas 1943, aged 15 years and four months, and that that was fairly typical of his age group. He didn't start shaving until some time later.

As to being told the facts of life, I think that was left later as well. Whether my family were typical I don't know, but an aunt told me that she was never told that my father was on the way, simply one morning, 'You're not going to school today. Your mother's had a baby.' She was 14 at the time. An uncle on my mother's side said that when he joined the Merchant Navy in 1939, aged not quite 16, his father took him for a walk to tell him the facts of life, and it was difficult to tell who was the more embarrassed.

That said, a Canadian friend born in 1925 told me that he started collecting pictures from his mother's old underwear catalogues when he was 12 (he was rather shocked at his grandson doing the same at nine!)

Ann

Offline clockworkgirl21

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 10:37:12 AM »
It seems to be the American insistence on independence rather than viewing children and adolescents as part of a continuous family unit.

What do you mean by that? 

Offline Imperial_Grounds

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 10:49:57 AM »
Alexei was certainly babied by Alexandra, and by his father and sisters as well. I keep wondering whether he ever rebelled against being called Baby. If he didn't he certainly should have done! After all, he was almost 14 when he died.

As to the physical changes of adolescence, it's possible that they hadn't really started at the time he died. Boys' voices tended to break later then than they do now. Ernest Lough was 15 when he made his celebrated 1927 recording of O For the Wings of a Dove and continued singing treble for a year after that. My father (born August 1928) tells me that his voice suddenly broke when he was out carol singing with the church choir at Christmas 1943, aged 15 years and four months, and that that was fairly typical of his age group. He didn't start shaving until some time later.

As to being told the facts of life, I think that was left later as well. Whether my family were typical I don't know, but an aunt told me that she was never told that my father was on the way, simply one morning, 'You're not going to school today. Your mother's had a baby.' She was 14 at the time. An uncle on my mother's side said that when he joined the Merchant Navy in 1939, aged not quite 16, his father took him for a walk to tell him the facts of life, and it was difficult to tell who was the more embarrassed.

That said, a Canadian friend born in 1925 told me that he started collecting pictures from his mother's old underwear catalogues when he was 12 (he was rather shocked at his grandson doing the same at nine!)

Ann

Yes, I don't think Alexei ever was told 'the facts of life', he was simply raised too protective and in those days it was not really discussed either I think. Boys were to find out themselves and girsl were probably told some things after their periods. I don't think Alexei knew those things, and still girls always 'mature' sooner than boys do. It is just a fact, so it is indeed highly possible that those changes had not even started at the time of his death. Maybe Olga and Tatiana knew more, perhaps even Maria, but cirtainly not Alexei and Anastasia. It just was not proper to discuss these facts with your children.

Also as for the fact of 'collecting pictures', this is somehow something of all ages but these days children are mature sooner and not kept such 'babies' until they find out themselves. I remember that I was about 10 when finding out about babies. My parents simply told me after I asked them how babies actually were concieved. Still, as is said children now are more mature at that age.

As for shaving, I myself only started shaving daily at the age of 18(so recently), and weekly at the age of 13. I am quite late at that, but again it is something that is different for everyone.

Offline Tasia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 07:47:51 AM »

When I read about yours comment, Shandroise, I thought about Princess Ileana of Romania (because her name reminds me Irina, weird names)... O-O
But her name's Ileana and not Irina, so I have my doubts too xD

A-HA! I found a Irina (idk if she's the Irina that Olga says, but) her name is Irina Pavlovna *daughter of Grand-duke Paul Alexandrovich* and born in December 1903 !!! how many Irinas there are e-e, u-ú.

Offline Tasia

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2010, 11:15:23 AM »
Glad to see this topic !
Does anyone know who's this Irina? ^^''