Author Topic: "The Romanovs: Love, Power & Tragedy"  (Read 44655 times)

Offline Rachael89

• Graf
  • As the world falls down....
    • View Profile
Re: "The Romanovs: Love, Power & Tragedy"
« Reply #60 on: December 06, 2006, 02:48:24 AM »
Hi Linnea

Thanks for the link! I was going to bid on it, but after it went to £20 I knew that I didn't stand much hope of winning and left it.

BUT, I have ordered a copy! I got a copy of Amazon.com, only £27 incluidng postage! So I am very pleased, as that is far cheaper than the prices I would hope to  pay here.

I'll let you all know when I get it!

Best

Rachael
It's not fair!

Offline Rachael89

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2006, 02:32:31 PM »
God, I can't beleive it, there seems to be somekind of cosmic force trying to stop me getting the book. I have just got an e-mail from the seller who I brought the book off, and apparently, the book have been badly water damaged in transit, so they're refunding my money and I'm not getting it.

Oh well, back to the drawing board!

Rachael
It's not fair!

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
  • May I interest you in a grain of salt?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 15, 2006, 07:59:26 PM »
How irritating!

There are a few on amazon in the $55 USD range right now (plus shipping). That's probably a little more than you'd planned to spend, but it's less than amazon.uk and still fairly reasonable... :-\

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/095216440X/ref=dp_olp_1/104-4306997-2405548
THE LOST CROWN: A Novel of Romanov Russia -- now in paperback!
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Rachael89

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2006, 03:46:36 AM »
Hi Sarushka!

Thanks again for the nice response, I think I'll put off getting L, P&T till the new year now, and just be grateful that my libary has it!

I have been very lucky in another way though - just picked up a copy of the Private world of the last Tsar - only £3 (about $6) so I'm very happy to be getting that!

Best

Rachael
It's not fair!

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2006, 09:01:41 AM »
Oh, so you're the one who outbid me?  :D

I already have Private World of the Last Tsar, so I didn't *need* it, but it was such a good deal I couldn't help bidding. I rescue good books like some people rescue stray dogs and cats. I'm glad this one found a good home, because I wasn't looking forward to paying for trans-Atlantic shipping!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2006, 09:03:29 AM by Sarushka »
"A dramatic, powerful narrative and a masterful grasp of life in this vanished world." ~Greg King

Offline Rachael89

• Graf
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 19, 2006, 11:18:13 AM »
Wow! That waas you, small world ain't it! Sorry I outbid you, I've been looking for a copy for ages though and I was very happy to get this one, especially considering I saw another go for about £20!

Best

Rachael
It's not fair!

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 19, 2006, 12:05:08 PM »
It's a good book at a great price -- I think I paid about $60 for mine! It has a lot of photos you won't find in other books.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 12, 2007, 08:00:59 AM »
There's an ex-library copy of LPT on ebay right now for an opening bid of $19.95 with only one more day to go!

http://cgi.ebay.com/The-Romanov-s-Love-Power-Tragedy-Illustrated-book_W0QQitemZ250070555070QQihZ015QQcategoryZ378QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I hope someone gives it a good home, so I don't have to! ;D

Offline imperial angel

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2007, 12:28:43 PM »
Going to be controversial here...I paid a lot of money for a second hand copy of 'Love Power and Tragedy' and I rather regretted that I had paid so much money for it.  I like the book, but it isn't a favourite of mine.
Now, 'Camera and the Tsars' - well I wasn't expecting much when I bought it and I have to say that it is one of my favourites.  So many wonderful pictures and featuring less well known members of the family, which appealed to me.
I think that if Nicky, Alix and their children are your focus, then 'Love, Power and Tragedy' is the book for you.  if you are interested in the whole Romanov clan, go for 'Camera and the Tsars' - plus I love the short but often pithy comments that accompany the images.
Beter still, if you an afford it, buy both!

I tend to agree with this. The Romanovs LPT is a great photo book, especially of Otma. It has pages and pages of photos. But, I learned much more from Camera and the Tsars and this seems to be generally cheaper and introduces you to some branches of the family you usually don't see. The photos in there are lovely. I enjoyed The Romanovs LPT, but would have to say Camera and the Tsars is better in my opinion. I am a huge fan of Otma and photos of them, but for me I had heard more about this book than Camera and the Tsars and disagree there, although I am glad I finally bought it.

Offline Sarushka

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 06, 2007, 07:38:29 AM »
A copy of LPT popped up on eBay this morning with an opening bid of $9.99:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150129948183&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:US:1

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2007, 04:11:27 PM »
Postal rates went up in May here in the US.  Airmail has been replaced by First Class International as well as Priority and Express .. Surface mail has been eliminated.  No book rates.  The rates are fine because the seller is using a large flat rate box (which is $37 and change for most countries overseas).  The box's rate within the US is $8.95.  This particular book will not fit into a regular flatrate envelope ($11.00 for overseas except Canada/Mexico which is $9.00)

If the seller put the book in a regular jiffy bag (about $3.00 or so and adding the postage for First Class International - the postage would be about 25.00

I sell stuff on ebay and am having to refigure costs because of the new rates ... The loss of surface mail will hurt a great many dealers who sell overseas.

Author of Queen Victoria's Descendants,
& publisher of Royal Book News.
Visit my blog, Royal Musings  http://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 07, 2007, 04:58:43 PM »
US rates to Europe are no worse than  Europe rates to the US. As Marlene mentioned, this is a large, heavy book. Of course it is going to cost to ship. This is why, when I buy books from Euro sellers, I have them sent to my UK address and then bring them back myself.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #72 on: June 07, 2007, 09:32:45 PM »
However,  surface mail still exists from Europe to the USA.

US rates to Europe are no worse than  Europe rates to the US. As Marlene mentioned, this is a large, heavy book. Of course it is going to cost to ship. This is why, when I buy books from Euro sellers, I have them sent to my UK address and then bring them back myself.

Offline Marlene

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I live and breath QVD
    • View Profile
    • Royal Musings
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2007, 08:32:39 AM »

It was announced earlier this year that the USPS would eliminate suurface mail.  It became effective in mid-May
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/09/technology/09ecom.html?ex=1333771200&en=5b5744f90b6a6d5b&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

This does not apply to places such as Amazon which has worked a deal with the post office for international mail, but if you order a book from the US, from a dealer, for example, the book will have to go by air.

Surface mail has been eliminated.  No book rates.

WHAT?

Ack! Horrors!

*sigh*

(sorry)
 :P

Offline Laura Mabee

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
    • Frozentears.Org
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2007, 08:55:29 AM »
Wow.
That's some really rough news. Very interesting though. 
I'm happy Canada Post hasn't taken that direction yet. Although I imagine it will only be a matter of time.   :-\