Author Topic: Kaiser Wilhelm II  (Read 252954 times)

Offline Michael HR

• Knyaz
  • Imperial Corps Des Pages
    • View Profile
Re: Kaiser Wilhelm II
« Reply #375 on: September 05, 2008, 05:35:32 AM »
Will the Kaiser ever be re-buried on German soil? Times have moved on and it seems a shame that he rests so near but yet so far from Germany.
Remembering the Imperial Corps Des Pages - The Spirit of Imperial Russia

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: September 08, 2008, 10:36:25 AM »
In the fall of 1987, during a fact-finding tour of both east and west germany, NO ONE believed the two nations would ever unite into one germany. this was the attitude of both the common, everyday citizen as well as captains of industry and politicians.

In a short two years, all that changed.

For decades, William II has been considered persona non grata in his homeland, but so was minnie until the soviet union fell apart. I suspect that as recently as the late 1980s, it would have been considered a fool's dream to envision the day when her remains would have been brought back to st petersburg to be rightfully placed.

the big difference, though, is the ground-swell of interested people who feel a historic/romantic attachment to the hohenzollerns really does not exist as it does for the romanovs. Call it the lure of a tragic story of fate; the romanovs have it and not so with the hohenzollerns. As such, the effort politically, financially, and socially to affect a move of William to his rightful spot would be a task few would shoulder. At least for now; but, times/attitudes change quickly.  ;)
HerrKaiser

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: September 08, 2008, 12:48:51 PM »
But the Kaiser's expressed wish  was to be buried where is is.  In the country that offered him assylum and  kindness in his time of need. Personally, I see no  desire to move him from where he is.
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Do you want the truth, or my side of the story ?- Hank Ketchum.

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: September 08, 2008, 05:48:27 PM »
yes, William did request he be buried in Holland but I thought his request was contingent until the monarchy was restored in germany. His "followers" at this point will obviously realize that contingency will never occur, so they may at some point just move him to his family's mauseleum for historic reasons. Such things are anybody's guess as to what may be decided by those interested and able to carry out such plans.
HerrKaiser

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: September 08, 2008, 06:09:10 PM »
This is quite true, HK.  I do not know what the family  thinks about it.  I have not heard or read any commenets from them about it.  They seem to be squabbling about other issues now. Who knows what may eventually happen, especially now that Germany is united again.  The wishes of the dead are often ignored, are they not? Lenin  did not want to be embalmed in a wax model and put on public display. Stalin did. Now, one still is, other is not.
 If old Willie is eventually moved, which family vault would he go to? The Berlin Dom, Potsdam, or Charlottenburg?
Life may not be the party we expected, but while we are here, might as well dance..

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: September 08, 2008, 08:02:37 PM »
If the old boy is to be moved at some point, i would vote for the Berliner Dom. Potsdam is where Fritz and Vicky reside in eternity and I would like to have them lay in supreme regard at that location. Charlottenburg is a seondary setting. the Dom is a premier Berlin icon, built by William and at the center/beginning/ending of his reign.
HerrKaiser

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: September 08, 2008, 08:06:36 PM »
Any idea where the rest of his family is buried? They could be scattered all over Germany.

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: September 09, 2008, 07:35:20 AM »
Crown Prince Wilhelm and his wife Cecilie are both buried at Burg Hohenzollern in Swabia.

Viktoia Luise is interred at Hannover.

Dona is at Potsdam.
HerrKaiser

Offline Learning

• View Profile
« Reply #383 on: September 09, 2008, 09:47:12 AM »
I do not know what the family  thinks about it.  I have not heard or read any commenets from them about it.  They seem to be squabbling about other issues now.

What are the Hohenzollerns squabbling about?

Offline Learning

• View Profile
« Reply #384 on: September 09, 2008, 09:48:06 AM »
Viktoia Luise is interred at Hannover.

Why Hannover?

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: September 09, 2008, 03:05:25 PM »
Her wonderful and loving husband, Ernst August, is buried there along with other kings of Hannover.
HerrKaiser

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: September 25, 2008, 05:32:39 PM »

I'm not sure that Russia did make a decision for war before Germany formally declared war against Russia. 

By virtue of standard international standards of the time, troop mobilization onto another nation's border was considered an 'act of war'. Russia did mobilize its troops on July 28th in response to Servia's plea for its Russian ally's assistance following the declaration of war on that day by Austria. The correspondence between the Russians and Germany show that Germany, in particular william, pleaded with Russia to resist mobilzation which would lead to a declaration of war by Germany. William had expected the Austrian/Serbia 'war' to be a limited short conflict, more of a major slap on the hand for one of Serbia's own murdering Ferdinand.

HerrKaiser

Offline Robert_Hall

• Velikye Knyaz
  • a site.
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: September 25, 2008, 05:59:38 PM »
I agree, HK. But, the Kaiser seems to have been flattered my his toy soldier, dress-up mentality and a very agressive General Staff.
 There are many facets to the history of WWI, I think. No one single issue can be pinpointed.

Offline HerrKaiser

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: September 26, 2008, 11:42:50 AM »
yes, Robert, William did have a thing for the fanfare of miliatary/naval glitter. In fact, the day Ferndiand was murdered, William was hosting a regatta in Kiel harbor for the English navy. The revelry and reciprocal affection for each others' ships, men, and regalia reflected more than any other outward indication of 'friendly nations' that existed at the time.

Also, William was a barking dog, but he didn't really bite, and when he tried, he never broke skin (two Moroccan crises; the Boer War). The 'warring Huns' image of Germany that so filled propaganda machines of pre, during and post WWI media is misleading. In fact for the 100 year period from 1815 to 1914 Britain fought 10 wars, Russia 7, France 5, but only 3 for Germany. What's more revealing is that during the Bismarckian/Wilhelmine period from 1871 to 1914, Germany was engaged in no wars at all while most of the other major powers (the U.S., Britain, Russia, Italy, Turkey, Japan, Spain) had war records of note.

So, the entire reign of the Kaiser up to 1914--25 years, a quarter century--was unflawed by any war. Such a record does not deserve the label British statemen at the time gave to Germany of 'butcher bird of Europe'. The record of peace, on the other hand, along with other social and political events particularly of the period 1900-1914 leads one to believe that the German interests for a european war would have been very low.
HerrKaiser

Offline Barbara of Hohenzollern

• View Profile
« Reply #389 on: October 04, 2008, 01:47:09 PM »
Augusta wasn't buried in the Netherlands, she was buried in Potsdam. All the way the churchbells rang along while the train with her coffin passed away, children brought flowers and the bell of the dome in Berlin broke. My mother always said that for her it seemed to be a symbol that this happened to the dome's bell.