Author Topic: Maya de Chrapovitsky  (Read 8044 times)

Offline polignac

• Boyar
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Maya de Chrapovitsky
« on: September 05, 2008, 09:50:09 PM »
Maya de Chrapovitsky was a russian aristocrat who was born at 18 Oct 1899, in St. Petersburg. She was the daugther of Count Nicolas de Chrapovitsky, who died in the War of 1905, and of Margharita Taylor, and she had a sister, Olga. At 4 Jun 1925, New York, she married the wealthy Hugh Dudley Auchincloss Jr., having one son: Yusha, who I think was a Democrat senator.
I've made a google research and I found only this about Maya de Chrapovitsky:
During my visits, Yusha tells me about his own father, a lawyer, banker, statesman and son of an old Newport family; and of his mother, the exotic Maya de Chrapovitsky, who was raised in luxury in turn-of-the-century Czarist Russia. "She was a daredevil," Yusha says. "Adventuresome. Typical sort of Russian excitable person. Very emotional." Maya gave Yusha his nickname, supposedly a Russianization of "Hugh."
Maya almost died when Yusha was a baby. "She got out of this small plane and ran around the front of it to congratulate the pilot," Yusha says. "She was just going around underneath the wing when the propeller started sputtering again. It kind of hit her head, but she fortunately had a jewel -- the old Russians, they had big jewels all over the place -- on her hat. The propeller hit the jewel so it went into her head but didn't go through." But Maya was forever changed -- moody and more excitable still. A few years later, Yusha's parents divorced, and his father wed Nina Gore, mother of novelist Gore Vidal. That marriage ended, too, after less than six years.

Maya died in 1990.

Do anyone know more about her?

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Maya de Chrapovitsky
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2008, 02:27:18 AM »
She sounds fascinating!

Offline jbharding

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 06:26:01 PM »
I knew Maya de Chrapovitsky very well. I attended boarding school with her son, Charles Rand, whose father she married after the divorce with Auchincloss. I spent a number of weekends at her house in La Jolla, California. She was, indeed, a very lively person, as was her son, Charles. I also had the pleasure of meeting her sister. The sisters normally conversed in French. However, when the subject concerned, cooking or the household, they switched to Russian. After weekends, Maya always sent Charles back to school with a bottle of vodka, with a twist of lemon in it - Russian style.

According to Charles, his mother had fallen on hard times after the demise of the Czarist regeme. When she met Auchincloss, she was working as a waitress- truly a woman of spirit.
I also met Yusha, although under different circumstances. It was at a soccer game in New York, which I attended with the owner of the ill-fated soccer team, the New York Generals. I told Yusha I knew Charles, and we exchanged a couple of pleasantries on the subject.

http://www.johnharding.com

Offline LisaDavidson

• Velikye Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 10:08:24 AM »
Auchincloss' third wife was the mother of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, so Maya's family is also related via marriages to the family of Mrs. Onassis and President Kennedy.

Offline jbharding

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 01:27:11 PM »
Maya had a son, Charles, by Elbridge Rand. Charles was the half-brother of Hugh Auchinclos, so the connected extended even further.