Author Topic: Your dream Romanov book: ideas & requests for authors  (Read 37924 times)

Offline Ilana

• Knyaz
  • I love any info on VMH
    • View Profile
    • Queen Victoria's Granddaughters
Re: Your dream Romanov book: ideas & requests for authors
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2005, 01:24:12 PM »
Sarai,

If only the man had left a paper trail!  However, there may be more now that the Russian archives are open... though it is hard to wade through the material, and, of course, a knowledge of Russian and the cooperation of the archivists would be good.  I know that a translation of his diaries is being done, but I wonder, what sort of diaries are these?  The ones that say 4pm go with Ella to the super market, played bezique, or are they the kind that are what we today think of as a diary???
So long and thanks for all the fish

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2005, 01:31:41 PM »
If only the man had left a paper trail!  However, there may be more now that the Russian archives are open... though it is hard to wade through the material, and, of course, a knowledge of Russian and the cooperation of the archivists would be good.  I know that a translation of his diaries is being done, but I wonder, what sort of diaries are these?  The ones that say 4pm go with Ella to the super market, played bezique, or are they the kind that are what we today think of as a diary???

Ilana,
Yes, it's unfortunate that there may not be a good paper trail to work with. I'm glad to know that a translation is being done of his diaries, but LOL, I know what you mean - I hope they aren't the rather mundane, few line entries that are so common of their diaries, but more personal and insightful entries such as those found in KR's wonderful diaries. I realize that diaries at that time, however, were meant to be more of a routine listing of daily events without much insight into the writer's feelings, unlike our own diaries today. Well, hopefully something worthwhile can be found in them, as well as perhaps in any letters that he left behind (letters of this era seem to offer more of a glimpse into the person's personality than diaries - certainly in the case of Nicholas this appears to be the case).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Sarai_Porretta »

Offline Sarai

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2005, 02:50:47 PM »
I would like to add to this list a book about Alix's early life, that first half of her life that she spent in Hesse-Darmstadt, before moving to Russia. We have all read so much of her life as wife, mother, and Empress, but I would love to read more about her as child/daughter and sister. Would love this book to be chock full of pictures following her from childhood growing up to be a beautiful young lady; her drawings, letters, and diary entries; her childhood homes; details of her trips, like to Harrogate for her spa therapy and her trip to Italy with Ernie; her brief role as G.D. of Hesse before Victoria Melita married her brother; and her relationship with her father. The book would end with the details of her rushed trip to Russia to accompany her fiance at his father's deathbed - the event marking the end of her carefree girlhood days. I would be just fascinated with a good book about the first half of Alix's life.

PS - Modified to add: Also information on her nannies, like "Orchie," and her role in society life, such as her first ball & subsequent events. And info. about her friends as well, such as Gretchen. I know there is a book about their relationship called Alix an Gretchen, but it is in German only.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Sarai_Porretta »

Offline Helen_Azar

• Velikye Knyaz
  • Coming up Fall 2015: Tatiana's diaries and letters
    • View Profile
    • War-time diaries of Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna Romanov
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2005, 03:19:04 PM »
Sarai, yes this is a great idea! I wonder of someone will do it some day and whether there would be a publisher who would be willing to accept this kind of an approach....

Val289

« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2005, 03:21:46 PM »
Dear Sarai!

I would love an entire new work on Alix altogether, in fact several ;) with especial focus on her life before becoming Empress, with diaries, social duties, family life, friends, photographs, sketches. And with this, other family members' letters to her, as daughter and sister..

Wonderful ideas Sarai, and elisa_1872!  I would also love to see a book on Alix with emphasis placed on her life before becoming Empress.  ;)

Offline Dasha

• Knyaz
  • Love of a child is the greatest gift.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2005, 03:47:19 PM »
Sarai and Elisa_1872, wonderful ideas!  I too would be very happy to read a book on Alix that spoke of her early life and all the other things you mentioned/
~Dasha~

'I'm meant to fly,
Sail unrestrained'.

"Woman" from "The Pirate Queen"

Teacher-in-Training
Blockhead for Life (Stephanie J Block is simply excellence)
Lover of (Almost) All Things Jane Austen
Broadway Addict
Anglophile
History Buff

Offline Rachael89

• Graf
  • As the world falls down....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 21, 2006, 02:24:28 PM »
Hi all

I was just wondering if people have a book they would love to read, but that is not written yet! And also can you think of a fictional sypnosis? Here's mine:

"Collected here for the first time are all of the testimonials connected to the murder and possible escape of the Romanov family, who wwere brutally murdered by the Bolsheviks in 1918. These eye-witness testimonials, cross examined by Romanov expert Natysa Kaplinksy, shed new light onto the events, and highlight the many unanswered question and inconsisitencies surrounding the case."

I have seen the various testomonials etc. but never togther and never organised, for example it qould be great to see all of Yurosky's statements about the murder from the different times and see comparisons as to how they differ. It would also be nice to see the eye-witness testomonials of those convinced they saw Romanovs alive after July 16th 1918 and who had eveidence that the Bolheviks were hunting for a missing Grand Duchess etc. etc.

So have you got any ideas as to your dream Romanov book?

Rachael
It's not fair!

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
  • Sergei Vladimirovich Markov
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2006, 07:25:52 AM »
I wonder if you have seen the chapter 'Death in Ekaterinburg' in 'The Fall of the Romanovs' by Steinberg and Khrustalev (Yale 1995) ? It has long extracts from the record of the interrogation of Paul Medvedev (commander of the Ipatiev guard), Yurovsky's notes on the execution and concealment of the corpses (written 1920), and his 1934 account as given to a group of Bolsheviks. If you like primary records and documents, you'll love this book, which has hundreds of them, many translated from the original Russian for the first time, covering all members of the family, and all events up to the execution. All connected by a clear, accurate narrative. Only 'downer' is the captions to a few photos, which confuse the GD's (as often happens). Hope that helps ~ then you can write your own 'dream' book!

Offline Rachael89

• Graf
  • As the world falls down....
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2006, 09:34:53 AM »
Hi there

Is it a rare book? I've looked on e-bay UK but can't find a copy! Unfortunately I wouldn't be able to get it even if I could find a copy, I wouldn't be able to get a copy because I've been buying loads of stuff on my dad's ebay account recently.

Best

Rachael
It's not fair!

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2006, 09:48:59 AM »
No, I don't think it's rare, and I know quite a few people have got it (including Ra Ra). I'll look in my usual places and see if I can locate a copy.

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 22, 2006, 10:05:19 AM »
If you go to abebooks.co.uk and enter the details, you'll find there are over 100 available, starting at about £1.50! If you narrow it down to UK bookshops, you'll find 14 copies starting at about £4.00. A real bargain !

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
  • Another Anastasia claimant; the ears match exactly
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2006, 10:07:58 AM »
Hi! I do have this book, thanks markov!  ;D

I got mine used on amazon for about £6 I think, and it's a hardback.  Not rare at all.

I'll check amazon for you.

Hardback, starting from £5:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0300065574/qid=1148310066/sr=8-4/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i4_xgl/202-2418519-9421415

Paperback, starting from £4:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0300070675/qid=1148310066/sr=8-5/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i5_xgl/202-2418519-9421415

It really is an EXCELLENT book and I would recommend it 100%.  It's a fantastic resource and has so many original sources, many of which have only recently become available.  It includes copies of some of the actual original documents, so if you read Russian (which I don't) it's extra helpful, because you can do your own translations as well as reading the English ones provided.

The book is laid out in chapters, with a terrific, unbiased and very informative section by a historian dealing with the topic of the chapter, and then these narrative sections are followed by sources, in some chapters going into the hundreds, of original letters, minutes of meetings, telegrams, etc, that allow you to come to your own conclusions of what really happened.  It's a real top notch book, and something you must get if you're particularly interested in the events surrounding the abdication and imprisonment.

It has my very enthusiastic seal of approval!

Rachel
xx
'History teaches that history teaches us nothing' ~ Hegel

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2006, 10:18:36 AM »
Right now I shall actually answer the question the thread poses.  ;D

MY dream Romanov book would have key issues/stereotypes of the life of the Romanovs examined not from a contemporary perspective but from the memoirs of those who were actually there to see whether they picked up on the things we do now, and if they did, what they thought about it.

So, for example, the belief that the Tsarina was a domineering woman who told her husband what to do would then be examined with comparing and contrasting statements from memoirs of people like say, Sophie Buxhoeveden, Lili Dehn, Anna Vyubova, and also people who weren't close to court and can provide a different contemporary perspective, like perhaps Meriel Buchanan.  It would be fascinating for me to see how contemporary friends/enemies viewed the Romanovs and what their take was on things like Alexei's haemophilia, Alexandra's personality, etc.  So many of these memoirs are out of my price range, and to have parts of them in one place and compared with the memoirs of others would be wonderful.

Rachel
xx

Offline s.v.markov

• Boyar
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2006, 10:49:56 AM »
Dreams do sometimes come true, Ra Ra......

Offline Ra-Ra-Rasputin

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2006, 11:00:45 AM »
Indeed they do, indeed they do!  ;D

Hopefully sometime soon!

Rachel
xx