Author Topic: Countess Margarete Gertrud von Oeynhausen,Countess von Schaumburg-Lippe  (Read 10646 times)

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Didn't know where to post this topic,so decided here....I am intersted in Countess Margarete Gertrud von Oeynhausen,lived from 1701-1726...She was the daughter of King George I of Great Britain and Ehrengard Melusine von der Schulenburg...She was married to Count Albrecht Wolfgang von Schaumburg-Lippe who was lover of reichsgräfin Charlotte Sophie von Bentinck-Aldenburg(I think they had illegitimate issue)...Nothing much is known about her short life,her relations with her mother and father...husband also...her son Wilhelm fought for the army of Great Britain and Hanover...never seen her picture..if anyone have some info please post!

Offline Norbert

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
Re: Countess Margarete Gertrud von Oeynhausen,Countess von Schaumburg-Lippe
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 05:38:19 AM »
August Wolfrath von Campen was the supposed issue of Lippe and Bentinck. Apparently Margaret Gertrude was regarded as a beauty and styled herself in England as Lady Dallet. She has 2 sons Georg August who was killed in a duel at Leiden University 1742, and Wilhelm who reorganised the Portuguese army and died 1777 outliving his 2 children by Marie of Lippe -biesterfeld

Offline Mari

• Knyaz
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 07:12:13 AM »
Ehrengard Melusine von der Schulenburg..was a beauty from a look at her Painting although called a Maypole...I think the fashion at the time was for more robust figures. So, it would be interesting to see if Margarete inherited the look of the Mother. Very interesting subject....

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 08:05:50 AM »
Her portrait is hard to find...I just found her husbands portrait...I am also interested in relations with her father and mother...and maybe any half-siblings(if there was any contact)...Here is a portrait of Albrecht Wolfgang:

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

Didn't know where to post this topic,so decided here....I am intersted in Countess Margarete Gertrud von Oeynhausen,lived from 1701-1726...She was the daughter of King George I of Great Britain and Ehrengard Melusine von der Schulenburg...She was married to Count Albrecht Wolfgang von Schaumburg-Lippe who was lover of reichsgräfin Charlotte Sophie von Bentinck-Aldenburg(I think they had illegitimate issue)...Nothing much is known about her short life,her relations with her mother and father...husband also...her son Wilhelm fought for the army of Great Britain and Hanover...never seen her picture..if anyone have some info please post!
I think one source about her family would be the biography of Countess Charlotte Sophie van Bentinck née von Aldenburg: Hella S. Haasse: "Mevrouw Bentinck of Overenigbaarheid van karakter. Een ware geschiedenis" which has been translated into German as Ich widerspreche stets. Das unbändige Leben der Gräfin Bentinck. I browsed through the Dutch version quite attentively, but can't remember seeing much about Margarete Gertrud, just her sons. Though it gives an interesting portrait of the environment she lived in. Especially since Charlotte Sophie's husband Count Bentinck (to whom her father was indebted, hence the marriage!) was half English, the son of William III's favourite, the Earl of Portland. While Margarete Gertrude died while Charlotte Sophie still was young, the latter did live in a ménage-à-trois with Albrecht Wolfgang and his second wife, her good friend Charlotte Friederike Amalie, widowed Princess of Anhalt-Köthen, née Princess of Nassau-Siegen.

BTW as a young German princess Catherine the Great met her scandalously emancipated distant cousin Charlotte Sophie, muse to Voltaire, and they corresponded. When Count Bentinck divorced her and she was deprived of her inherited fiefs of Varel and Kniephausen in East Frisia and the estate Doorwerth in the Netherlands in favour of her sons, Catherine the Great let her live at neighbouring Jever, which was Russia's westernmost outpost, inherited by Catherine from her Anhalt-Zerbst family (and ultimately from the Oldenburgs, hence the kinship with Charlotte Sophie, who as an Aldenburg was the granddaughter of the natural son of the last Count of Oldenburg).

Her two children with Bentinck were taken away from her (the Count Aldenburg-Bentinck who housed the exiled Kaiser Wilhelm II at Amerongen was a descendant of them). She sued them to get her property back. The case is described in another book of Hella Haasse: "De groten der aarde of Bentinck tegen Bentinck. Een geschiedverhaal" (The Great Ones on This Earth or Bentinck vs. Bentinck. A History Tale.) They won, but their descendants started another Bentinck Succession Dispute which was more about Ebenbürtigkeit (the heir had married a former serf) than morals and ended up with Oldenburg buying their immediate fiefs in the 1850s.

She later lived with her two illegitimate children in Hamburg. These two boys had been adopted by a Von Donop family. One of them ended up as Marshall of the Court of Saxe-Meiningen.  

Margrethe Gertrude's son Wilhelm of Schaumburg-Lippe had the world's first submarine built in the 1772s, der Steinhuder Hecht, or Steinhuder Pike, in connection with his fortification of a tiny island in the Steinhuder Lake in his principality. (He feared an invasion by Hesse-Kassel, which had a claim on the County of Schaumburg.)

Yes, that's Schaumburg as in the Schauenburger* Counts of Holstein, all those Gerhards to whom all Denmark at one time was mortgaged untill the young squire Niels Ebbesen in a patriotic act murdered Count Gerhard the Bald in Randers and from whom Christian I of Oldenburg, King of Norway, Denmark and Sweden descended maternally and by virtue of said descent became King of said Realms and Duke of Schleswig-Holstein; and as in infamous Hessian morganatic spouse Gertrude Lehmann, Countess of Schaumburg, Princess of Hanau and Horowitz!

* Original form of the name, from "castle from which you can see widely", not "foamy castle"!
« Last Edit: March 11, 2010, 10:03:45 PM by Fyodor Petrovich »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
Thank you for this...coincidence is that I started reading Charlotte Sophie's biography(Sophie Charlotte,Countess of Bentinck,her life and times 1) two days ago where her background is described,where she corresponded with her granddaughter and Catharine II was mentioned...I didn't yet come to the part where Margrethe Gertrude is mentioned,but I will continue reading...I find the lives of this half-royal(semi-morganauts) persons very interesting...

Naslednik Norvezhskiy

Cool, I hope you enjoy learning more about the Aldenburgs and Bentincks! Although I had never heard about them before I stumbled upon them by accident, I have become very fascinated by them, when I realized how prominent they were in Danish royal and (general North German) noble history, as a kind of stepping-stone between royalty and nobility, just like the Gyldenløves and other bastards/morganauts.

Arms of the Imperial Counts of Aldenburg:

1. and 4.: The "Saxon steed", to represent Kniephausen and possibly because Count Anton Günther was a great horse lover and breeder.
3. and 4.: Roses for love? (also used in such Danish morganatic arms as those of the Barons Løwendal, the Countess of Samsøe and Counts of Rosenborg.
Inescutcheon: Imperial eagle (for immediacy) and Oldenburg.

Quartered with the Bentinck cross moline in the later arms of the Lordship of Kniephausen:

There was a lot of intermarriage between the families of Aldenburg, Gyldenløve, Krag-Juel-Vind-Frijs, Kniephausen and Wedel.

The Counts Krag-Juel-Vind-Frijs descend maternally from Charlotte Amalie Griffenfeldt, only daughter and heir of disgraced Danish Chancellor of the Realm, Count Peter Griffenfeldt of Samsø né Schumacher (author of the Danish absolutist constitution, the Lex Regia) and his wife Catharina Nansen, daughter of Hans Nansen, Mayor of Copenhagen (also a pivotal character in Frederik III's coup d'etat in 1660 and a direct ancestor of Fritjof Nansen). But before he fell from grace, there were plans to marry the ennobled Griffenfeldt to Charlotte Amélie de La Trémoille, sometimes styled Princess of Tarente, who through her Hesse-Kassel mother was a cousin of Frederik III's daughter-in-law Queen Charlotte Amalie of Hesse-Kassel.

BTW see here for Griffenfeldt's arms: A griffin. (Cool, but bourgeois-born royal favourite Christoffer Gabel's arms are even funnier: They are actually two forks (German: Gabel) stuck in a crown!)

Instead Charlotte Amélie de La Trémoille became the second wife of Count Anton I of Aldenburg and grandmother of Charlotte Sophie Bentinck. BTW she, on behalf of her son Anton II, had great difficulties wrestling the Aldenburg inheritance from her most powerful step-son-in-law Ulrik Frederik Gyldenløve. The other step-son-in-laws were a Baron Freydag zu Gödens (their daughter married a Wedel-Jarlsberg), a Von Haxthausen (from then on a renowned Danish-Norwegian noble family), a Bjelke (famous old Norwegian noble family) and a Count Wedel-Jarlsberg.

Arms of the Counts Wedel Jarlsberg:

The ancestral arms in the inescutcheon is a man figure (sometimes only as crest) on a breaking wheel.
And with typical Danish augmentation: Dannebrog banners in a crown. (The crown badly visible, because it's gold on gold and thus breaks a heraldic rule.)

The first, childless wife of Anton II was interestingly a Countess Anna zu Innhausen und Knyphausen, the family that had possessed the Aldenburg fief of Knyphausen/Kniephausen in the Middle Ages. They intermarried with the Krag-Juel-Vind-Frijs later and one of them, Count Edzard, a great East Frisian landowner based at the impressive castle of Lütetsburg, who had been Royal Hanoverian Chamberlain, was made a Fürst by Kaiser Wilhelm II. The line still flourishes. NB their arms are a lion, not the horse of Kniephausen.

The Oldenburgian Count Karl von Wedel who was Imperial Governor of Alsace-Lorraine and also made a Fürst by Kaiser Wilhelm II was a descendant of a younger son of the 1st Count Wedel-Jarlsberg, Baron Erhard Friedrich von Wedel(-Jarlsberg), married to the Baroness Freydag zu Gödens mentioned above. This line still flourishes in East Frisia. Their castle Evenburg is an ugly Neo-Gothic monstrosity, but their moated castle Gödens is one of the most lovely I've come across:

« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 04:19:44 PM by Fyodor Petrovich »

Offline Marc

• Velikye Knyaz
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    • View Profile
They were so connected...and mother of Countess Marie Juliane von Freytag zu Gödens,later Baroness von Wedel-Jarlsberg was Countess Sophia Elisabeth von Aldenburg,half-sister of Sophie Charlotte's father Count Anton II von Aldenburg...

Yet,this Countess Countess Marie Juliane von Freytag zu Gödens is direct ancestor of Edzard,first Fürst zu Innhausen und Knyphausen who was also created at the end of 19th century by Emperor Wilhelm II...